Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times

Advertisements

I managed to get my #1 Shingrix vaccine end of January but other matters delayed me getting #2 Shingrix 2 months after #1 (that's the soonest can do it) and then Covid19 came to roost.

I just got a reminder from the pharmacy to get my butt in there for #2 shot before the 6 month deadline end of July. I'd already decided to go to different pharmacy because original pharmacy gives shots next to grocery aisle, no private room. Yes weird, but I didn't know that before doing it.

So I called the better pharmacy (they have private room) to schedule and they said CDC is saying don't rush to get Shingrix because it lowers immune system for some time. So first pharmacy says "come in ASAP" whereas second pharmacy says "wait a bit." I think I will go with "wait a bit" pharmacy advice.

Any other C-D'rs have this dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 04:42 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
"Private room" for getting a shot? Why would that be necessary? You don't have to get undressed to get the Shingrix shot. You just need to roll up your sleeve a little bit to expose your upper arm area.

I don't know about the lowered resistance idea. Personally, I think I'd go ahead and get the Shingrix shot.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I'm pretty sure there was a year or so between my first and second doses, which my doctor didn't seem concerned about, and neither was the pharmacy.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Shingrix needs to be administered in 4-6 month intervals, in order to have the best protection. Think of it this way:

You want to paint your house. You use paint that requires two coats. The second coat "seals" in the color and allows it to be pristine looking for several years. You paint the first coat, and instead of painting the second coat within a week, you wait several months. By that time, some of the first coat has become dirty, and because it was only a thin first coat without that second coat to seal it and protect it, some of it has faded. It won't look as good, or last as long, as if you had done it correctly.

I got my Shingrix shots at CVS at their minute clinic. But you don't need privacy to get the shot, it's given in the upper arm. They could give it to me in the middle of the produce aisle for all I care. I'm there for immunity, not a photo shoot.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:38 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
My pharmacy gives shots behind closed doors. I got my second Shingrix just as this was starting. No bad effects. If you skip it, you will need to get both shots again.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:44 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If you skip it, you will need to get both shots again.
Nope.

https://gskpro.com/en-us/products/shingrix/dosing/

"If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose, administer the second dose as soon as possible. You should not restart the vaccine series."

Old 06-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope.

"If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose, administer the second dose as soon as possible. You should not restart the vaccine series."
Thanks for this, I wondered but no time today to research. I see my doc for mid-year checkup in 2 weeks and will get her opinion. I am in NC and stay-at-home mode since forever, she will know what's happening in my area with Covid19. There has been an infection # increase since things re-opened.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Shingrix needs to be administered in 4-6 month intervals, in order to have the best protection. Think of it this way:

You want to paint your house. You use paint that requires two coats. The second coat "seals" in the color and allows it to be pristine looking for several years. You paint the first coat, and instead of painting the second coat within a week, you wait several months. By that time, some of the first coat has become dirty, and because it was only a thin first coat without that second coat to seal it and protect it, some of it has faded. It won't look as good, or last as long, as if you had done it correctly.

I got my Shingrix shots at CVS at their minute clinic. But you don't need privacy to get the shot, it's given in the upper arm. They could give it to me in the middle of the produce aisle for all I care. I'm there for immunity, not a photo shoot.
The problem is other people...no masks, no store requirement to wear them although employees do, my area has had a upward spike in infections since re-opening has been allowed of many more businesses.

My first shot was in January and I had to take off several layers of clothes just to get to my upper arm, in public, grocery carts moving past and sick people waiting at the pharmacy counter and on the bench next to it (where they give shots) to get their meds. Not something I want to repeat now in a pandemic. It felt very third world. Why can't my doctor's nurse give me this shot? How do I know the hygiene of the person behind the counter giving me this shot, who also touches the cash register, credit card machine, etc, etc.

I paid $165 for the first shot it felt like I was in a county low-budget clinic.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I managed to get my #1 Shingrix vaccine end of January but other matters delayed me getting #2 Shingrix 2 months after #1 (that's the soonest can do it) and then Covid19 came to roost.

I just got a reminder from the pharmacy to get my butt in there for #2 shot before the 6 month deadline end of July. I'd already decided to go to different pharmacy because original pharmacy gives shots next to grocery aisle, no private room. Yes weird, but I didn't know that before doing it.

So I called the better pharmacy (they have private room) to schedule and they said CDC is saying don't rush to get Shingrix because it lowers immune system for some time. So first pharmacy says "come in ASAP" whereas second pharmacy says "wait a bit." I think I will go with "wait a bit" pharmacy advice.

Any other C-D'rs have this dilemma?
I thought I remembered you replying on the big thread in retirement but am not seeing you replying.

Did you have a reaction with the 1st one? Some people do and some don't. I did, it almost killed me. I can't have the 2nd shot.

Most people get the vaccine on a Friday because they have side effects Saturday and part of Sunday. Side effects are feeling like you have body aches, headache, just run down. By Sunday night they're fine.

How is your general health? Are you working from home?

I would wait until the end of July just to be safe since it doesn't sound like your town/state is doing all that NJ is.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:17 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope.

I sit corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness