Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

While we were still in 2nd Stage Re-opening, husband's doctors would not see him in person. Only Video Chat.

He fell and went to Urgent Care. They were seeing patients. I had to pick up a script for him at Rite Aide. The Pharmacy was totally enclosed in Plexiglas. Pharmacist said wait until he stepped away before I slid the script under the opening. Then I to stand 6 feet back while he picked it up. When he put the meds through the opening, I had to again stand away until he left. He stayed away while I keyed in my payment, but not before I had to answer a lot of questions about the state of my health relative to coronavirus on the app. The meds weren't even for me!

It was all very surreal. Give someone a vaccination with all those precautions they were taking just to pick up a script? Yes, we were wearing masks.

Last edited by Jo48; 06-19-2020 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 08:42 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The problem is other people...no masks, no store requirement to wear them although employees do, my area has had a upward spike in infections since re-opening has been allowed of many more businesses.

My first shot was in January and I had to take off several layers of clothes just to get to my upper arm, in public, grocery carts moving past and sick people waiting at the pharmacy counter and on the bench next to it (where they give shots) to get their meds. Not something I want to repeat now in a pandemic. It felt very third world. Why can't my doctor's nurse give me this shot? How do I know the hygiene of the person behind the counter giving me this shot, who also touches the cash register, credit card machine, etc, etc.

I paid $165 for the first shot it felt like I was in a county low-budget clinic.
1. It's June. Unless you live near one of the poles, you won't be wearing several layers of clothes.
2. Most sick people are staying home, the lines aren't as long.
3. There's no rule requiring you to sit on a bench next to other people.
4. Most pharmacies require social distancing and/or masks.
5. By now, all pharmacies have hand sanitizer foam you can use while you're in their store.
6. Use Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, instead of giving them cash or swiping your card. That way the payment is 100% touchless. Use your own pen to sign any paper they need you to sign.

You're creating problems where none exist.

Get the shot and be done with it.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
"Private room" for getting a shot? Why would that be necessary? You don't have to get undressed to get the Shingrix shot. You just need to roll up your sleeve a little bit to expose your upper arm area.

I don't know about the lowered resistance idea. Personally, I think I'd go ahead and get the Shingrix shot.
It’s a calm quiet place to receive a shot. I’ve done it both ways, I use the private room. No prying eyes. No rude people being horrified — yes that happened to me. For six months I had a wildly red watery eye, and the rude woman was loudly proclaiming I was infecting everyone as I was getting my flu shot.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
While we were still in 2nd Stage Re-opening, husband's doctors would not see him in person. Only Video Chat.

He fell and went to Urgent Care. They were seeing patients. I had to pick up a script for him at Rite Aide. The Pharmacy was totally enclosed in Plexiglas. Pharmacist said wait until he stepped away before I slid the script under the opening. Then I to stand 6 feet back while he picked it up. When he put the meds through the opening, I had to again stand away until he left. He stayed away while I keyed in my payment, but not before I had to answer a lot of questions about the state of my health relative to coronavirus on the app. The meds weren't even for me!

It was all very surreal. Give someone a vaccination with all those precautions they were taking just to pick up a script? Yes, we were wearing masks.
Wow, that is total overkill, I've not seen anything so stringent as this anywhere.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:16 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I'm an older person and got my second Shingrix vaccine in January. For some reason it really knocked me out. Afterwards, I hardly wanted to get out of bed except for necessary activities (food prep, pet care, showers) for 4 days. Pre Covid, so not related to that, but the response was fatiguing. However, I did it at the minimal interval so maybe waiting was a good idea on your part. Without that booster, you won't have the optimum protection but it will help somewhat. If you don't do it now, then what I wonder? Will you need to get both shots a year or so from now? Ask the doc, because that might be a workable response if there is any data on it.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
The second pharmacist said the CDC is actually recommending delaying that shot due to lowered immune resistance to COVID? Good Lord; WAIT.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:31 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I managed to get my #1 Shingrix vaccine end of January but other matters delayed me getting #2 Shingrix 2 months after #1 (that's the soonest can do it) and then Covid19 came to roost.

I just got a reminder from the pharmacy to get my butt in there for #2 shot before the 6 month deadline end of July. I'd already decided to go to different pharmacy because original pharmacy gives shots next to grocery aisle, no private room. Yes weird, but I didn't know that before doing it.

So I called the better pharmacy (they have private room) to schedule and they said CDC is saying don't rush to get Shingrix because it lowers immune system for some time. So first pharmacy says "come in ASAP" whereas second pharmacy says "wait a bit." I think I will go with "wait a bit" pharmacy advice.

Any other C-D'rs have this dilemma?
the cdc has no such information about lowered immunity on their shingles page. I'm not sure what is being referenced.

they did issue some guidance about altering schedules for children and maternal vaccines but mainly based on public health issues, i.e. waiting rooms, transmission of SARS-CoV-2, stay at home orders. it seems as if someone was misunderstanding what they read/heard.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The second pharmacist said the CDC is actually recommending delaying that shot due to lowered immune resistance to COVID? Good Lord; WAIT.
Glad I waited all my life to NOT get any. There is a lot of preventative info out there besides this method.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
the cdc has no such information about lowered immunity on their shingles page. I'm not sure what is being referenced.

they did issue some guidance about altering schedules for children and maternal vaccines but mainly based on public health issues, i.e. waiting rooms, transmission of SARS-CoV-2, stay at home orders. it seems as if someone was misunderstanding what they read/heard.
My take too. There's all sorts of misinformation floating around out there. As long as you don't come down with Covid-19 within a week of the shot, there should be no problem. Their concern is probably an asymptomatic carrier, which would probably make the Shingrix shot ineffective. Nobody will give any vaccine if you are fighting off an illness, even a cold.

To do it by the numbers, the OP could be tested for the coronavirus before getting the shot, and then go home for a week.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
"Private room" for getting a shot? Why would that be necessary? You don't have to get undressed to get the Shingrix shot. You just need to roll up your sleeve a little bit to expose your upper arm area.

I don't know about the lowered resistance idea. Personally, I think I'd go ahead and get the Shingrix shot.
You don't?? The man who gave me my shot told me to talk off all my clothes, except I could keep my socks on.

Dang.

P.S. In all seriousness, I'm in the same boat - but on a later schedule. Had my first shot March 2, right before the COVID shutdown. I've got a couple more months to postpone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness