U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 06:52 PM

27,794 posts, read 10,455,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
At one point in my life (quite a long point) I had severe anxiety, to the point of being delusional. I started on St. John's Wort and the difference was amazing. I felt like myself again. People with anxiety and depression are not weak, they are missing key chemicals in the brain. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to just tough it out, you would get them to a doctor. Psychological problems can be the same as physical problems. Let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back for being "undrugged".
SJW affects people differently. I tried it probably 20 yrs ago for depression I has dealing with and I ended up with HBP and bloody nose. For my issue it was a dsyfunctional thryoid that took yrs to get fixed.

Glad it worked for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 07:19 PM

56,324 posts, read 44,717,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, don’t drink and don’t ingest anything with caffeine. Also, no prescription medications.

I don’t “need” anything to help me out because I have arranged my life so that I get enough sleep, have enough money, do what I enjoy doing and am surrounded by people I love and respect.
I used to think almost exactly like you.

I only offer this because you are clearly ill-prepared for the reality that doing everything right can still end badly. You can arrange some of your life, the rest is illusion and hubris. There are a bevy of medications that should the time come, may help you, like my 35 year old friend with MS and 2 young children. Meds are actually really helping them keep it at bay, but maybe they wouldn't need them if they'd arranged their life better?

Old 06-21-2020, 07:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 330,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thought you've posted about all your health issues in recent months....maybe it was someone else.
I’m not sure what you are implying. One can have a lot for health issues and yet not be taken any kind of “drug,” prescription or otherwise.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 330,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I only offer this because you are clearly ill-prepared for the reality that doing everything right can still end badly. You can arrange some of your life, the rest is illusion and hubris. There are a bevy of medications that should the time come, may help you, like my 35 year old friend with MS and 2 young children. Meds are actually really helping them keep it at bay, but maybe they wouldn't need them if they'd arranged their life better?
You don’t know how I think.

There is no hubris. I have a lot of health problems, the first of which being lung cancer (although I am a never smoker). I have an autoimmune disease for which I no longer take medication, on my doctor’s suggestion. I have mild pancreatitis for which medication is not required (or helpful). I have a sinus arrhythmia problem for which I no longer take beta blockers, as I’ve found that exercise is much more effective in keeping my heart in rhythm. And at the moment I’m not taking anything for the cancer as the chemoradiation I had in the fall seems to have been effective.

So, in some sense, everything may not have already “ended badly,” but is certainly not optimal from a health perspective .... and yet I still try to live in the healthiest manner possible. I do this not because I think it will miraculously protect me from a cancer recurrence (which depends on the genetics of my particular tumor more than anything else), but simply because it makes me feel good to keep doing my best to be as healthy (and drug-free) as possible.

So, anyway, like I said before, I don’t smoke, I don’t drink or take anything with caffeine. I am not on any prescription meds. I get enough sleep, have a low stress life-style, have enough money and am surrounded by people I love and respect.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

My sister seemingly had a great life/profession but she was stressed to the 9's with lots of travel worldwide and bad sleep etc..and took a LOT of pharma drugs for the MS that she dealt with and all the doctors kept telling her they would slow down the progression, as what I can see they didn't save her....she lost her battle at 68 with all the drugs she took...so I believe she was overdrugged...I did my best to have her work with other options as some adjuncts but she put all her trust in the drugs/docs. I know of others who deal with MS and work with both protocols.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:23 PM

29,179 posts, read 35,595,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Sometimes my stress level is really so over the top. I have a REALLY ADHD kid and another kind of difficult kid and I had cancer and the meds keep me from sleeping well EVER. I could go on and on. Some methods of reducing stress no longer work and I won't go into it.

But everyone has solutions and most of them I have tried (regarding sleep) but when I talk to people and think about people, I feel like I am the only one who doesn't drink or use some drug to reduce stress.

I know people who take stuff to sleep, or drink every day, or use Xanax or get high all the time. The list goes on.

I just wonder. Am I the only one who doesn't have SOME way to self medicate? Am I just stupid?
I take no meds. Don't need any. Exercise has always eliminated any stress in my life. I know people that knit, or garden, for the same purpose. Not everyone takes meds.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM

5,107 posts, read 2,240,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
At one point in my life (quite a long point) I had severe anxiety, to the point of being delusional. I started on St. John's Wort and the difference was amazing. I felt like myself again. People with anxiety and depression are not weak, they are missing key chemicals in the brain. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to just tough it out, you would get them to a doctor. Psychological problems can be the same as physical problems. Let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back for being "undrugged".
No kidding. I have never seen so much self-congratulatory back-patting in this forum. Bizarre!

Everything's perfect until it's not.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM

10,737 posts, read 4,872,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No kidding. I have never seen so much self-congratulatory back-patting in this forum. Bizarre!

Everything's perfect until it's not.
Who was self-congratulating? The OP asked what people who don't happen to use some mind-altering chemical do to manage stress. People responded with all sorts of approaches that happen to work for them. Everyone is free to try, evaluate, try again. IIRC the tone of a few replies by the usual culprits drifted into the judgy holier-than-thou realm, but most stuck to an actual answer. If you choose to misinterpret all of them as humble-bragging knock yourself out. It says more about you than it does about them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-22-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 12:15 PM

44 posts, read 2,520 times
Some people just have very sensitive body chemistry. I myself cannot even take prescribed opiates after surgery due to extreme bad side effects plus gastrointestinal reactions that are painful to live with.....

Trust me a LOT of people who are on the right combos of psych meds...you'll never know it unless you actually see them take their meds. Those kinds of meds have saved many lives, and not just the lives of the patients themselves.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I take no meds. Don't need any. Exercise has always eliminated any stress in my life. I know people that knit, or garden, for the same purpose. Not everyone takes meds.
I can think of another member here who says she takes no drugs...and that is great. I'd love NOT to take the ibuprofen/tylenol but then I would not be able to walk....and then the thyroid support I take is a lifesaver..

My 56 daughter takes no prescription meds NOW, but she was sure messed up yrs ago by pharma drugs...a different time in her life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or