Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:41 PM

37,453 posts, read 45,651,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can think of another member here who says she takes no drugs...and that is great. I'd love NOT to take the ibuprofen/tylenol but then I would not be able to walk....and then the thyroid support I take is a lifesaver..

My 56 daughter takes no prescription meds NOW, but she was sure messed up yrs ago by pharma drugs...a different time in her life....
I did not say I have never taken any medications. I said I don't take them, as a normal thing, for stress or anxiety or any medical condition. I am not ON any medications. I certainly have taken prescription medications in the past, such as an antibiotic, or a painkiller after surgery, or things like that. And once in a while I might take an ibuprofen, but that is not how I interpreted the OP's question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 01:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,577,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I did not say I have never taken any medications. I said I don't take them, as a normal thing, for stress or anxiety or any medical condition. I am not ON any medications. I certainly have taken prescription medications in the past, such as an antibiotic, or a painkiller after surgery, or things like that. And once in a while I might take an ibuprofen, but that is not how I interpreted the OP's question.
Of course, there are exceptions...and I had to be on 2.5 months of IV abx drug for the staph infection in my knee in 2016....

And did some opiates after hip surgery and even during the knee issue...but hate hate hate that drug...found afterall ibuprofen did as good as that horrid pain drug the docs/hospitals go to....talk about side effects...good lord....

Old 06-22-2020, 01:48 PM

22,905 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
Agree. The OP's question was more specific. IMHO there are basically two classes of substances ingested for some physiological effect:

Pharma
&
Suppla

They are both drugs.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:41 PM

37,453 posts, read 45,651,211 times
Quote:
Of course, there are exceptions...and I had to be on 2.5 months of IV abx drug for the staph infection in my knee in 2016....

And did some opiates after hip surgery and even during the knee issue...but hate hate hate that drug...found afterall ibuprofen did as good as that horrid pain drug the docs/hospitals go to....talk about side effects...good lord....
Ibuprofen never touched my after-surgery pain. I thank GOD for percoset!

Old 06-22-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Ibuprofen never touched my after-surgery pain. I thank GOD for percoset!
Some yrs back and maybe it was before hip replacement I was taking some Darvocet and it was doing OK for me, then it was taken off the market....and the Oxy stuff came on. I just hope I can get thru the rest of my life without a knife in my body.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,592,902 times
I am not "un-drugged," and I don't want to be.

I am very careful about what I put into my body.

I LOVE edibles and how they help my mental health.

I also drink a glass of wine (or rum) most nights. I have looked up the effects. I have had bloodwork done, and everything looks great.

The only other "drug" I take is Levothyroxine for thyroid deficiency.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:10 AM

14,827 posts, read 11,967,559 times
Quote:
On all the aggressive exercise, could be over doing it, too much stimulation. Just a thought...I did a lot of exercise in my life but in moderation.
As I understand it, vigorous exercise just before going to bed could be overstimulating, making it difficult to get to sleep. I'd think exercise earlier in the day, especially in the morning, wouldn't negatively affect the sleep, might even help it.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM

472 posts, read 242,146 times
I have always limited my alcohol intake to a few drinks/week (both my parents were alcoholics). My anxiety levels have lately been through the roof (I'm unemployed, cash and savings-wise I'm OK, just worried about the state of this nation, etc). My saving grace has been the gym. I try to go every day since re-opening and this has been great in working out some aggression, depression, etc. My HOA has shut down our pool due to the pandemic, so I can't swim like I used to. The melatonin/sleep aids don't really work 100% for me, since I'm still getting up in the middle of the night. That might be more a pre-menopausal thing with me though, since it's been occuring more than six months now. So, I suggest if you feel comfortable enough to get yourself to a gym, DO IT!!
I also am VERY BIG on vitamins and supplements. I take them daily and give those credit to my health right now. I trust in my immune system and will not be rushing out to take a Covid vaccine when it becomes available.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,400,688 times
^^^ I personally would not go to the gym (yet). Take a walk, ride a bike, do some calisthenics at home. A home gym, yes, a public gym, no. I was already paranoid before the pandemic about the gym and getting colds and flus. I would wear gloves and carry hand sanitizer. I'm going to wait it out.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
I have always limited my alcohol intake to a few drinks/week (both my parents were alcoholics). My anxiety levels have lately been through the roof (I'm unemployed, cash and savings-wise I'm OK, just worried about the state of this nation, etc). My saving grace has been the gym. I try to go every day since re-opening and this has been great in working out some aggression, depression, etc. My HOA has shut down our pool due to the pandemic, so I can't swim like I used to. The melatonin/sleep aids don't really work 100% for me, since I'm still getting up in the middle of the night. That might be more a pre-menopausal thing with me though, since it's been occuring more than six months now. So, I suggest if you feel comfortable enough to get yourself to a gym, DO IT!!
I also am VERY BIG on vitamins and supplements. I take them daily and give those credit to my health right now. I trust in my immune system and will not be rushing out to take a Covid vaccine when it becomes available.
Waking up middle of night???? Do you want to get right back to sleep, look at my That Elusive Sleep thread in Alt Med where I talk about tryptophan and B6...before I got on these two before bed my wake ups in middle of night were awful, now I get right back to sleep. No Covid vac here either.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-24-2020 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness