Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:16 PM

21,697 posts, read 9,271,841 times

Advertisements

Sometimes my stress level is really so over the top. I have a REALLY ADHD kid and another kind of difficult kid and I had cancer and the meds keep me from sleeping well EVER. I could go on and on. Some methods of reducing stress no longer work and I won't go into it.

But everyone has solutions and most of them I have tried (regarding sleep) but when I talk to people and think about people, I feel like I am the only one who doesn't drink or use some drug to reduce stress.

I know people who take stuff to sleep, or drink every day, or use Xanax or get high all the time. The list goes on.

I just wonder. Am I the only one who doesn't have SOME way to self medicate? Am I just stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
I am un drugged unboozed and unsmoked
They used to call that clean and sober

Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM

I don't NOT drink. I just don't drink often. Maybe once a month.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,949,988 times
I'm clean and sober as well.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm clean and sober as well.
Ok, talk to me. How do you deal with stress?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
OP: I'm pretty much undrugged except for blood pressure meds and thyroid...otherwise it's all supplements and I've posted just about everything I use in the Alternative Med area here....including my sleep remedy (That Elusive Sleep) is the post title.

There are 3 pretty well known supps for keeping calmness in body and mind:

Inositol (I use it and it's in my sleep combo)
L Theonine
Gaba
**Magnesium**

I know of these 4 but I'm sure there are many out there...one just has to do a search..

I think I get what you are asking.

Getting into meditation does wonders. Even 8-10 minutes daily if time is a factor in your life...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-18-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 06:41 PM

18,821 posts, read 27,261,264 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5dE25ANU0k&t=5s

Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 PM

22,920 posts, read 18,230,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ok, talk to me. How do you deal with stress?
I've never used alcohol, don't think inhaling smoke of any type is a smart idea, and don't use any "mind-altering" drugs either. Sure, there are now edibles but I haven't felt the need to try them so far. There have been a few short periods in the past (before legal edibles existed) when I had a prescription for buspirone or Ativan (dealing with a cancer diagnosis, dealing with horrible relatives while settling an estate, dealing with a particularly bad work situation) but I'd never take more than one during a day to get some sleep. Going through the day numbed down just doesn't sit right. The prescriptions never got refilled and the remainder of the bottle ended up expiring unused. Many times if what I want is ability to turn my annoying brain off enough to get to sleep and stay there, a simple OTC pain/sleep aid would provide much of the same benefit.

The main thing I remind myself is that blotting my troubles out chemically only does it for a short time. When whatever the chemical is wears off, the troubles are staring me right in the face again. Sure, I may have gotten a few hours of respite but nothing was solved. When I find myself unable to manage stress through relaxation, meditation, exercise, inspirational (or good old escapism) entertainment, getting support from friends, paying more attention to good time management I start looking for counseling help to deal with the stress-inducing problem. Two brains are often better than one. Not because some counselor is going to solve it for me, but because a good advisor can remind/teach me how much power I have within my own mind to distinguish what really is beyond my control (so have to live with it), what may be solvable if I approach it differently, or at least tolerate what I can't solve a bit better. So often there are stressors we can give up...if we really try.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2020 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 PM

5,407 posts, read 3,973,683 times
I have tried different pills for occasional insomnia, the best I have found is melatonin, which is a natural substance. And it helps me stay asleep also, if I wake up at 4AM I can go back to sleep until 6 or so.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 AM

6,282 posts, read 2,830,533 times
Melatonin worked for me but I was sleepy all day the day after I took it. I used to take tryptopan and that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness