Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times

Advertisements

I'm undrugged, on SS, Good genes. No GMOs growing up or antibiotics in my meat, did Monsanto exist in the 50s-60s?...probably, but had not become the monster it is now.
I eat organically now, as it was in my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:03 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Posted all in good fun since I am on prescriptions drugs for depression,anxiety and diabetes and would like to look into medicinal marijuana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQxzvHJsUA

Old 06-19-2020, 09:05 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Posted all in good fun since I am on prescriptions drugs for depression,anxiety and diabetes and would like to look into medicinal marijuana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQxzvHJsUA
Well, you haven't prescribed to changing your user name so there is that. Frankly, some of the best people I know are on some drugs, way better people than typically post around these forums.

In fact, with people suffering from serious afflictions like a cousin of mine that developed schizophrenia, I guess that they were just *weak* and should have toughed it out by eating lots of beets or catfish eyeballs etc.

It's one thing to be open to alternatives.

It's entirely another to be preachy wannabe doctors like many do for what can best be described as ego.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, you haven't prescribed to changing your user name so there is that. Frankly, some of the best people I know are on some drugs, way better people than typically post around these forums.

In fact, with people suffering from serious afflictions like a cousin of mine that developed schizophrenia, I guess that they were just *weak* and should have toughed it out by eating lots of beets or catfish eyeballs etc.

It's one thing to be open to alternatives.

It's entirely another to be preachy wannabe doctors like many do for what can best be described as ego.
Of course, drugs are needed for extreme issues in many lives. And I'm happy that I don't have extreme issues and can get thru with the couple minor ones I take ...I suppose I could get on the big arthritic drug but due to cost and possible side effects, I choose not to...so I manage my life as I do... There are exceptions all over the place.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:57 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ok, talk to me. How do you deal with stress?
What is stress?
Its the frustration encountered when trying to arrange the world to suit me me me.
Since I quit doing that I no longer experience stress.
Life is simple, but people very often cannot see themselves, they create a fantasy self image which is full of half truth and flat out lies.

I don't "deal" with stress, I surrender it.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:09 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've never used alcohol, don't think inhaling smoke of any type is a smart idea, and don't use any "mind-altering" drugs either. Sure, there are now edibles but I haven't felt the need to try them so far. There have been a few short periods in the past (before legal edibles existed) when I had a prescription for buspirone or Ativan (dealing with a cancer diagnosis, dealing with horrible relatives while settling an estate, dealing with a particularly bad work situation) but I'd never take more than one during a day to get some sleep. Going through the day numbed down just doesn't sit right. The prescriptions never got refilled and the remainder of the bottle ended up expiring unused. Many times if what I want is ability to turn my annoying brain off enough to get to sleep and stay there, a simple OTC pain/sleep aid would provide much of the same benefit.

The main thing I remind myself is that blotting my troubles out chemically only does it for a short time. When whatever the chemical is wears off, the troubles are staring me right in the face again. Sure, I may have gotten a few hours of respite but nothing was solved. When I find myself unable to manage stress through relaxation, meditation, exercise, inspirational (or good old escapism) entertainment, getting support from friends, paying more attention to good time management I start looking for counseling help to deal with the stress-inducing problem. Two brains are often better than one. Not because some counselor is going to solve it for me, but because a good advisor can remind/teach me how much power I have within my own mind to distinguish what really is beyond my control (so have to live with it), what may be solvable if I approach it differently, or at least tolerate what I can't solve a bit better. So often there are stressors we can give up...if we really try.
Thanks. I think these are all good ideas but I can't give up my ADHD daughter.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:29 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

You are not stupid but you are a candidate.
Wow. That was harsh and unnecessary.

Between this and the people who say, "I am undrugged..." and then go on to list the stuff they put in their bodies, it's a wonder the OP has been back.

I agree with therapy. Not only is it a chance for you to release all the stuff that troubles you, but you can learn ways to cope with your problems AND the stress they bring.

I am fortunate that I don't need any prescriptions yet. I did start taking Tylenol PM at night in my late 40s when I started randomly waking up at 3:30 unable to fall back asleep. Lack of sleep wrecks so many other parts of your life.

Get counseling, get sleep and take a walk every day if you can.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 AM

982 posts, read 607,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I'm pretty much undrugged except for blood pressure meds and thyroid...otherwise it's all supplements and I've posted just about everything I use in the Alternative Med area here....including my sleep remedy (That Elusive Sleep) is the post title.

There are 3 pretty well known supps for keeping calmness in body and mind:

Inositol (I use it and it's in my sleep combo)
L Theonine
Gaba
**Magnesium**

I know of these 4 but I'm sure there are many out there...one just has to do a search..

I think I get what you are asking.

Getting into meditation does wonders. Even 8-10 minutes daily if time is a factor in your life...
Jamin, can you share the sleep combo supplement that you use with Inositol? My daughter has anxiety and sleep problems.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Jamin, can you share the sleep combo supplement that you use with Inositol? My daughter has anxiety and sleep problems.
If you look in the Alt Med group (That Elusive Sleep) post you will find a long bunch of comments and the post which I've changed over the years a tad, but basically the same. I take 1/2mg melatonin and I know many take large doses and I'm thankful I don't, as it can grog one out.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:44 AM

And the rep that called me a hypocrite about taking pharma drugs, I never said I don't take any and even said it a couple times in this thread....a hypocrite I am not. I believe the ones I take are fairly minor in the whole scheme of them and for that I'm thankful. Thanks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness