U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2020, 12:38 PM

27,761 posts, read 10,446,925 times

Advertisements

My 20 yr old grandson, fell 2 times and first time dislocated elbow, then fell off bike on the same dislocation. Now the last surgeon his mom took him to, said Surgery. They would not let her in room due to covid mess....which is a bunch of bull as I see it.

Could be the 2nd fall on the first fall caused a fracture...they did an MRI and now talking cat scan.

She's going to get more opinions and tomorrow going to their D.O. they've seen and the D.O. mentioned Prolozone injections....Hope hope hope surgery is avoided. I also told her about PRP as an option to look at before drastic surgery. One thing certain is we can see 5 different docs and get 5 different opinions/suggestions on what to do. Hope the DO's work will help and she can bring another light to the subject.

He's using elbow support and sling but this active 20 yr old is having a tough time sitting still.

One of his uncles tells about having 3 elbow surgeries in his life and he's had problems for years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-21-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 04:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 5,331,103 times
I dislocated my elbow quite badly when I was 17, but it was not broken. It healed without any intervention except a couple of weeks in a sling.

About 40 years ago, my brother slipped while playing soccer and actually broke the end of the humerus right off at the elbow. He had surgery and they put in two screws. He also healed without any problem.

For your grandson, it depends on what the scans show. If they need to do an MRI and cat scan to see whether there is a fracture or not, it sounds like it must be a very tiny fracture if any. They are more likely looking at the tendons and ligaments. If they're damaged, they may just need time to heal or they may need to be surgically repaired. It's bad to have surgery when it's not necessary, but it's also bad to refuse needed surgery and end up with less than optimal mobility in the elbow, especially at his young age. There's not much you can do right now except wait and see what is recommended.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I dislocated my elbow quite badly when I was 17, but it was not broken. It healed without any intervention except a couple of weeks in a sling.

About 40 years ago, my brother slipped while playing soccer and actually broke the end of the humerus right off at the elbow. He had surgery and they put in two screws. He also healed without any problem.

For your grandson, it depends on what the scans show. If they need to do an MRI and cat scan to see whether there is a fracture or not, it sounds like it must be a very tiny fracture if any. They are more likely looking at the tendons and ligaments. If they're damaged, they may just need time to heal or they may need to be surgically repaired. It's bad to have surgery when it's not necessary, but it's also bad to refuse needed surgery and end up with less than optimal mobility in the elbow, especially at his young age. There's not much you can do right now except wait and see what is recommended.
Thanks for this, and I'll pass your experience info on to my daughter. When grandson came out of ortho surgeon's office he was told "surgery" and this young 20 yr old was gun hoe for a surgery, but daughter and I know differently. Like surgery is the answer to everything, nope.....

Old 06-21-2020, 05:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 5,331,103 times
Depending on the problem, it may heal much better and faster with surgery than if left to itself. Surgery is not always bad; in fact it is often good. Of course you first want to get a clear explanation of the problem and what the doctor intends to do about it.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Depending on the problem, it may heal much better and faster with surgery than if left to itself. Surgery is not always bad; in fact it is often good. Of course you first want to get a clear explanation of the problem and what the doctor intends to do about it.
I hear you on surgery, but my 2 experiences have left me with horrid complications that I live with. Daughter too talks about too many surgeries she did for stomach issues and didn't know any better back in those times...long other story.

My theory on this is stay away from the knife if there are other options.

Old Today, 06:49 PM

Well, my grandson had his first Prolozone injection in his elbow last week as my daughter got connected again with the D.O. they had been seeing but had moved out of the area....but she's back in our area and is outstanding in what she does and Reasonable. I won't post links on Prolozone but if interested anyone can do their search. He has another scheduled for July 6. The boy has no pain and his next appt is with "surgeon" who did cat scan to go over report....surgery is not #1 on their list of "to do"... The D.O. said whatever you end up doing, get OPINIONS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness