U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

28,007 posts, read 10,514,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I take a small amount regularly to help with sleep; I just have that kind of brain that never "turns off" (lifetime insomniac). It's Schedule II, so I do have to see my GP in person every few months to get the script renewed, which is a pain and expense, but it's worth it to get my zzzzzz's. I've known my doc for decades and he's very nice about it (even renewing it via just a phone call during the lockdown) and do worry about having to find a new GP someday (I plan to relocate) and talk him into being as cooperative. There's a tendency to view it as an unhealthy addiction versus a medication like any other that makes our lives better. As for how I feel, I take only a very small dose - and it's not for anxiety - so fine, although I would probably be somewhat more alert without it; you don't get "hangover" with a half-life like you do some drugs (I also tried doxepin and experienced that). I have, a couple of times, weaned myself off them in order to try other things (which didn't work, unfortunately) and have never had an issue with withdrawal. Unfortunately, "pill mills" and drug dealers have made it difficult for those of us with legitimate needs for them. I would love to find something effective -- either natural, OTC, or not "restricted" prescription -- that would "flip the switch" and allow me to fall asleep, but the search for that continues. Hope that helps???
Did you ever read my That Elusive Sleep in Alt Med.....all more natural and even some great homeopathics in the mix....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM

9,103 posts, read 5,191,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Did you ever read my That Elusive Sleep in Alt Med.....all more natural and even some great homeopathics in the mix....
I haven't, but will check it out; thanks. So far nothing I've tried has worked, but...

Old 06-22-2020, 05:19 PM

6,675 posts, read 2,806,492 times
I live in California. Edibles are AMAZING. I do micro-dosing. Mints start at 2.5 milligrams. I don't think carbs are involved, at all.

I just found another product I love called "Mood Magic," and just like it's name, it helps you maintain a positive mood.

My life would not be great if it was not for edibles, which help me cope and maintain a positive attitude.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I live in California. Edibles are AMAZING. I do micro-dosing. Mints start at 2.5 milligrams. I don't think carbs are involved, at all.

I just found another product I love called "Mood Magic," and just like it's name, it helps you maintain a positive mood.

My life would not be great if it was not for edibles, which help me cope and maintain a positive attitude.
Good, glad you are into the edibles...and all I do works great too.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:26 AM

86 posts, read 7,617 times
Doctors in the United States have really hit the brakes on prescribing benzos b/c so many people abuse them. & Tragically combined with alcohol, benzos can depress breathing, leading to accidental overdoses.

I actually threw out some of my Xanax because I was too worried about combining them with other meds I take for my autoimmune issues & having a bad reaction.

Use benzos with caution if you have addictive tendencies and/or share housing with people that do.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:37 AM

10 posts, read 2,996 times
I take .25 to .50 Xanax daily. I’ve been using this drug on and off (more OFF for years) since 1982. I recently took a break earlier this year and stopped for 3 months but I had health issues that cropped up and now I’m back on it. I’m well aware of the ramifications of using this drug or other Benzos. I’m VERY aware of the physical dependencies. Tapering off even from a tiny dose of Xanax you will have withdrawals. I’ve also taken antidepressant and those have horrible side effects for me. And coming off of antidepressants have similar withdrawals. You can’t cold turkey the SSRIs SRNIs or Benzos.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
I take .25 to .50 Xanax daily. I’ve been using this drug on and off (more OFF for years) since 1982. I recently took a break earlier this year and stopped for 3 months but I had health issues that cropped up and now I’m back on it. I’m well aware of the ramifications of using this drug or other Benzos. I’m VERY aware of the physical dependencies. Tapering off even from a tiny dose of Xanax you will have withdrawals. I’ve also taken antidepressant and those have horrible side effects for me. And coming off of antidepressants have similar withdrawals. You can’t cold turkey the SSRIs SRNIs or Benzos.
I'd be more concerned about the "memory" loss issues with these drugs. Can't help but think so many with dementia etc..have taken these drugs in their lives too much....

There are MANY alternatives to use as "calmers" and I find Inositol to be so beneficial. Glad I found it about 20 yrs ago and it's in my sleep combo too.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 2,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'd be more concerned about the "memory" loss issues with these drugs. Can't help but think so many with dementia etc..have taken these drugs in their lives too much....

There are MANY alternatives to use as "calmers" and I find Inositol to be so beneficial. Glad I found it about 20 yrs ago and it's in my sleep combo too.
I’m well aware of memory issues as a potential risk. Everything we ingest is a risk, even food.

I’ve tried every natural remedy under the sun. Sometimes they work sometimes not.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
I’m well aware of memory issues as a potential risk. Everything we ingest is a risk, even food.

I’ve tried every natural remedy under the sun. Sometimes they work sometimes not.
Oh, I don't think so. Not everything. You've tried everything under the sun, that must mean Inositol too. Ok

Here at almost 82 and I thought I tried everything for my issues and I'm still finding and trying new things for my major issue.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:59 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,483,437 times
About 35 years ago I started having major debilitating panic attacks. My doc prescribed 1 mg. Xanax.. twice a day. At that dosage I was literally sliding against the walls to keep from falling over soI called my pharmacist and told him I feel like I'm stoned.. He laughed and said I was and suggested I halve the dosage. Like a good little patient I took them twice a day as prescribed but at half the dose. After being on them for a while I decided I didn't need them anymore and went off them completely.
OMG.. The panic attacks came back 1000 times worse than they were when I started on them. My doc suggested I wean myself off by cutting them in half each time. She was still prescribing the 1mg dosage. That didn't stop the anxiety attacks so I weaned myself off of them one teeny tiny little piece of Xanax at a time. It took me longer to get off them than I was on them. I wasn't mentally addicted to them. I was never looking for that 'high'. but my body was addicted to them and what angers me is that I had no clue until I tried to get off them.

I learned my lesson from them. I now have Valium for the occasion anxiety attack, or to calm me if I have to have a medical procedure done, but I don't take them every day and never will again after what I went through.

Memory loss. At one point while I was taking the Xanax, the doc put me on sleeping pills too. I don't know whether it was the Xanax or the sleeping pills or the combo but apparently I took my 4 unruly dogs to the vet to get their rabie shots and to this day, I have no memory of doing it. I only found out when I went to make an appt and the receptionist informed me that I was there the week before. I even found their rabies tags so I know I must have gone there, but I don't remember it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness