U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 AM

9,913 posts, read 6,356,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't have anxiety or panic attacks
That's good. Life is way better without obsessive worry.

This is such an odd situation we all find ourselves in presently that I think there are other people like me who are just trying to cope. Good for you having excellent coping skills. I'm still learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 10:28 AM

3,443 posts, read 1,399,351 times
I used them sporadically for a couple of years, also anti-psychotics, but never on a scheduled routine, only when I felt like I needed them. Long term use can have very bad withdrawal but I never used them long term. I also used alcohol regularly to take the edge off. For the most part I finally learned to get over my anxiety by facing it instead of running from it. I realized a feeling of anxiety or a panic attack only lasted about 20 minutes or so, so I just learned to experience it head on and let it evaporate. The more I fought it, the stronger it became. The more I accepted and ignored anxiety and panic attacks (doing what I had to do in spite of it) the less effect it had on me. Eventually they went away all together. It's now automatic and if I ever start to feel anxious or fearful (I think fear is the root of anxiety and panic attacks) I just tell myself to get my head straight and immediately dismiss the thoughts or feelings before they take hold. 4 years ago I gave up alcohol due to an illness. Once in a while I feel like a drink, I just tell myself I can't have one and just move on. It's surprising how much control we can have over our own thoughts and fears. As Shakespeare said, "for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
Benzos are drugs that include Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazpeam), Restoril (temazepam). Z drugs are drugs that include Ambien (zolpidem).

I live in Ireland and used to take them until I was totally cut off by my doctor. I find they work for anxiety/mental distress moreso than the crappy antipsychotics/antidepressants that my psychiatrists pushes on me. Seroquel is touted for anxiety but it's too sedating and gives me a terrible groggy feeling afterwards.

I've heard doctors in the States are more willing to prescribe them. I wonder if anyone here gets a long term prescription of these drugs and if so, how do they feel on them? They can have horrendous withdrawals, even worse than strong opiates like heroin and benzo along with alcohol withdrawal are the only ones that can kill. Still, I think they are a very good solution once in a while.

Last edited by bobspez; 06-25-2020 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 01:24 PM

460 posts, read 111,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I took valium some yrs ago and then fell one day and tore up my knee so knew it was the drug that made me nutty...then I read a book, I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can and got off that drug.

Then in recent years I found myself taking 1/2mg of Lorazepam for a panic attack issue that the docs said I had and gave me the drug and then was told about Loss of Memory from these benzos...so no more.

I take a couple alternative "calmers" and these work for me.

You can do a search for "alternatives to calm mind etc"....one that I really like is Inositol which is from the B family of vitamins.
I wouldn't recommend using a baby laxative to calm anything other than a constricted bowel.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:13 PM

16,318 posts, read 33,624,506 times
I'm 40 and I have had prescriptions for Xanax since I was 18. I only take them as needed, and sometimes only a half tablet. A bottle of 60 pills will last me about 6 months, so my doctor knows I don't abuse them. Now if I walked in there every month asking for another refill I'm sure he'd cut me off.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 AM

59 posts, read 22,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm 40 and I have had prescriptions for Xanax since I was 18. I only take them as needed, and sometimes only a half tablet. A bottle of 60 pills will last me about 6 months, so my doctor knows I don't abuse them. Now if I walked in there every month asking for another refill I'm sure he'd cut me off.
From a GP or psychiatrist?

You're lucky that you live in the States. Many doctors here in Ireland are "benzophobic".

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

8,398 posts, read 2,410,876 times
I took them for a while to sleep while in cancer treatment. My doctor told me she didn't like them and that long term use could cause dementia. I was only taking .25-.5 a night. Mostly .25. But I realized it wasn't really working to help me sleep anyway. My issue with sleep is due to hormone blockers. When I got off them, I feel great. When I take them, I lie awake for hours on end. Getting off the Xanax wasn't that hard for me. It was mostly staying asleep that was always my issue.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

16,318 posts, read 33,624,506 times
Quote:

You're lucky that you live in the States. Many doctors here in Ireland are "benzophobic".
Regular general practitioner.

Old Today, 07:27 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,483,437 times
Quote:

I got mine from my New York regular primary care physician too. They are cracking down here too. They check some sort of website that see's if you have other scripts for the same drug in other pharmacies. I don't really know how it works. For all I know it could check for other drugs that can be misused also. All I know is if my regular pcp isn't available, the doc I see will apologize saying he's got to check whatever that website is.

I technically get a script for a month, but I refill it anywhere from 4 mos to a year. I only take them as needed.

Docs now are afraid they're going to lose their license if they have a high rate of patients on benzo's and oxycontin type drugs.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

9,103 posts, read 5,191,714 times
Is this alleged "dementia" a recent discovery? Because benzos have been around a VERY long time, and I've never heard of this before. Perhaps it's just the disease du jour or a strategy to stop pesky patients from requesting them now that prescribing has become so problematic due to pill mill laws, etc.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

3,993 posts, read 4,515,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is this alleged "dementia" a recent discovery? Because benzos have been around a VERY long time, and I've never heard of this before. Perhaps it's just the disease du jour or a strategy to stop pesky patients from requesting them now that prescribing has become so problematic due to pill mill laws, etc.
2014:
https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

A meta-analysis was undertaken in Jan 2019:
"In conclusion, this meta-analysis has yielded evidence that BDZ use is associated with dementia. This association is stronger in people using long-acting BDZs for longer durations. We suggest that ultra-short-acting BDZs should be prescribed and then tapered off while using other therapies in order to avoid dependence and other long-term adverse events. Further prospective long-term studies are required to eliminate reverse-causation bias and to confirm the presence of an association between BDZ and dementia."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6325366/

"In conclusion, we do not have enough data to ensure a causal relation between psychotropic drugs and cognitive loss. However, a therapeutic strategy based on BZDs and Z-drugs in elderly people should be extensively evaluated and monitored (Monzani et al., 2015; Yi et al., 2018). After reviewing the available data, a controversial question remains: is it safe to prescribe BZDs and Z-drugs to improve sleep in older patients, despite the potential cognitive loss risk? We strongly believe that there are enough data supporting an extremely cautious attitude with Z-drugs and the avoidance of BZD prescription in elderly people with AD."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6960222/

I'm at high risk for developing AD. I will reluctantly take 5 mg of Valium if undergoing an MRI but otherwise, no way. For me, the risk is not worth the reward.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness