Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:30 AM

89 posts, read 92,757 times

Advertisements

Benzos are drugs that include Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazpeam), Restoril (temazepam). Z drugs are drugs that include Ambien (zolpidem).

I live in Ireland and used to take them until I was totally cut off by my doctor. I find they work for anxiety/mental distress moreso than the crappy antipsychotics/antidepressants that my psychiatrists pushes on me. Seroquel is touted for anxiety but it's too sedating and gives me a terrible groggy feeling afterwards.

I've heard doctors in the States are more willing to prescribe them. I wonder if anyone here gets a long term prescription of these drugs and if so, how do they feel on them? They can have horrendous withdrawals, even worse than strong opiates like heroin and benzo along with alcohol withdrawal are the only ones that can kill. Still, I think they are a very good solution once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 09:09 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,523,961 times
I did take the Alzopram or however it's spelled, for a couple months to help sleep. It was OTC and cheap where I live.

It was relaxing and after I ran out, I experienced no withdrawal effects.

It seems like withdrawal and side effects vary from person to person.

I quit coffee and alcohol at various times and felt nothing different.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:25 AM

14,182 posts, read 11,431,159 times
I have a friend who has been on a regular daily dosage Klonopin for many years, and she has ended up with major neurological problems. Basically, she's now almost totally disabled. Her condition is so bad that the ordeal of weaning off the Klonopin would be worse than staying on (and her condition is not likely to improve if she does).

I don't think it's bad to take a Xanax once in a while. However, the huge problems of addition and benzos being sold as street drugs have caused US doctors to be much more cautious about long-term prescriptions.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
OP: I took valium some yrs ago and then fell one day and tore up my knee so knew it was the drug that made me nutty...then I read a book, I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can and got off that drug.

Then in recent years I found myself taking 1/2mg of Lorazepam for a panic attack issue that the docs said I had and gave me the drug and then was told about Loss of Memory from these benzos...so no more.

I take a couple alternative "calmers" and these work for me.

You can do a search for "alternatives to calm mind etc"....one that I really like is Inositol which is from the B family of vitamins.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2020 at 01:57 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't think it's bad to take a Xanax once in a while. However, the huge problems of addition and benzos being sold as street drugs have caused US doctors to be much more cautious about long-term prescriptions.
As mentioned a few times before on other threads I've had a couple of prescriptions for Ativan/Xanax in the past but I never used it on a routine or daily basis. For me, affects were too noticeable to stay very functional (yes I understand about the problems with tolerance). Each prescribing MD was very clear about the risk of addiction. I was very cautious and wasn't willing to take such a risk so stuck to other anti-anxiety options as much as possible. What those were has also been discussed elsewhere. I'm sure the OP is capable of or has read those threads.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-22-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times
I don't take any of those drugs.

Have you tried edibles for anxiety and sleep?

Old 06-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't take any of those drugs.

Have you tried edibles for anxiety and sleep?
I have no desire to get on the edibles, people could not wait for them to arrive on the scene, and talk about price and then the carbs involved...not for me.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,390,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have no desire to get on the edibles, people could not wait for them to arrive on the scene, and talk about price and then the carbs involved...not for me.
If it was the price and the carbs that bothered you, you can grow your own and make sugar free edibles. I wouldn't though, no proper way to dose it. You have to be careful with consuming MJ. It's very easy to overdose. It won't kill you but you will regret it if you take too much.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If it was the price and the carbs that bothered you, you can grow your own and make sugar free edibles. I wouldn't though, no proper way to dose it. You have to be careful with consuming MJ. It's very easy to overdose. It won't kill you but you will regret it if you take too much.
Grow my own?? I live in small apt and glad I can keep it up...and the idea of standing in kitchen and baking, not this gal any more...thanks but no thanks.

I do so well with my pennies daily for my great sleep, 8-10 hrs of good restorative sleep and I should change???? And if I would feel anxious I would make sure my magnesium and inositol are doing their job, again pennies.... And of course, working on ones' mind, Change Your Mind, Change Your Life. A lot of sick minds and sick people in our world. Sad....

I'm not unhappy with my combo for sleep and people keep trying to lead to other stuff. Could be they never had read my stuff I've talked about for years. Oh well.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2020 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM

21,393 posts, read 12,550,670 times
I take a small amount regularly to help with sleep; I just have that kind of brain that never "turns off" (lifetime insomniac). It's Schedule II, so I do have to see my GP in person every few months to get the script renewed, which is a pain and expense, but it's worth it to get my zzzzzz's. I've known my doc for decades and he's very nice about it (even renewing it via just a phone call during the lockdown) and do worry about having to find a new GP someday (I plan to relocate) and talk him into being as cooperative. There's a tendency to view it as an unhealthy addiction versus a medication like any other that makes our lives better. As for how I feel, I take only a very small dose - and it's not for anxiety - so fine, although I would probably be somewhat more alert without it; you don't get "hangover" with a half-life like you do some drugs (I also tried doxepin and experienced that). I have, a couple of times, weaned myself off them in order to try other things (which didn't work, unfortunately) and have never had an issue with withdrawal. Unfortunately, "pill mills" and drug dealers have made it difficult for those of us with legitimate needs for them. I would love to find something effective -- either natural, OTC, or not "restricted" prescription -- that would "flip the switch" and allow me to fall asleep, but the search for that continues. Hope that helps???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness