U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:54 PM

27,808 posts, read 10,455,567 times

Advertisements

It's amazing how much of the "thing" is gone since I've given it a good slathering of CBD salve and then a few hrs ago a dabbing of zinc oxide....ummmmmm

Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 PM

10,744 posts, read 4,872,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Skin damage from sun can come back to haunt you decades later, just as people who once smoked can get smoking-related lung disease many years after quitting. It's about lifetime exposure, not recent exposure. I don't know what the thing on your arm is, but there's no way to say it is NOT related to sun, if you once spent a lot of time in the sun.
This^^^. People end up with skin cancers in areas that have probably never gotten a direct burn. Repeated burns can just increase the overall risk. Don't make assumptions. I've heard of between toes or fingers, behind ears, inside of arms or legs, even in "nether" regions that shouldn't be seeing the sun in politer society!

Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM

2,612 posts, read 1,199,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know how many times I mentioned it, I think it's from the vaccination sight....it's not from sunburn. Take care.
It's not from the vaccinations. That's not what happens, and especially not decades later. Correlation is not causation. Just see a dermatologist. Or, do nothing, and take the risk. At your funeral, the mourners can say "if only they had seen a doctor, we wouldn't be here".

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,782,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This^^^. People end up with skin cancers in areas that have probably never gotten a direct burn. Repeated burns can just increase the overall risk. Don't make assumptions. I've heard of between toes or fingers, behind ears, inside of arms or legs, even in "nether" regions that shouldn't be seeing the sun in politer society!
This. I'm 43 and my sister 46. We're very pasty Irish and grew up on the Long Island Sound. My mom was VERY careful with us as kids. We wore long sleeved shirts at the beach every single day over 30 years ago. Long before it was a thing. She also slathered us in sun block multiple times a day and it became ingrained so that we did it ourselves as we got older. I don't recall ever having a sun burn other than a few times of a little pink on my cheeks or forearms (from pushing the sleeves up). Same for my sister.

Well, at 29 my sister was diagnosed with stage 2 melanoma on her back. An area that more than likely had very little sun exposure throughout her life. That same year my 31 year old cousin was diagnosed with stage 2 as well. My sister went through two separate surgeries to finally clear everything out. (PET Scan showed some lingering cells after the initial "clean" Mohs surgery.) My cousin, had one surgery never followed up. 3 years later he died. By the time he took this seriously and went for follow-up appointments, he was beyond help. He left behind a 6 month old daughter.

For me, I had basal cell on the left bridge of my nose removed at 36, about 20 years ahead of schedule.

Jammin- just see a Dermatologist. You should be having yearly skin checks anyway.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

555 posts, read 213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I had a spot removed from my butt that was a melanoma. Believe me, that never saw the sun. The other spots were all scabby areas that just never went away. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck, OP, whatever you decide.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

5,566 posts, read 2,767,048 times
Quote:
No skin cancer NEVER entered my mind. When I think of skin cancer, I think of mole. It's a scab that seems to have formed on the spot where smallpox job was given moons ago as I said. What was in that jab, that's what I'm thinking. Weird...
Mole has NOTHING to do with skin cancer necessarily. I will tell you a precautionary tale, although I'm sure you'll pooh-pooh it. I initially went to a dermatologist because I had several ugly brownish, raised patches of flesh on my chest, some of which were itchy. I was worried that they might be cancerous. The doctor quickly reassured me that they were benign seborrheic keratoses. Whew! However, she also zeroed in on a tiny flaky patch of skin on my right cheek that kept on reoccurring even if I scratched if off. THAT turned out to be a basal cell cancer that had to be surgically removed. There is no trace of it now except an invisible raised line on my cheek. I'm SO glad I went to be checked out and got a previously unknown problem FIXED.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

5,566 posts, read 2,767,048 times
Quote:
I don't know how many times I mentioned it, I think it's from the vaccination sight....it's not from sunburn. Take care.
But you have absolutely no idea. This is a concept you've got in your head with NO medical basis. I've had several basal cell carcinomas on my face from sunburns I got as a child 60 years ago, and I have to watch one spot on my back that hasn't seen the sun in 50+ years, but did as a child when I had sun poisoning.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,253,517 times
Quote:
I've ignored this for many years but I don't think there is anything "normal" about it. The scab has formed in the spot of the smallpox jab I was given at age 5, so that's over 75 yrs ago. The initial scab came off many yrs ago and then maybe 10 yrs ago or so, this current crusty scab formed...

It doesn't hurt, it's been kinda itchy around the area, and I've use some oils to soften it to see if some of it would fall off, and some of the scab has. I would not just pull it off.

I've probably had a tetnus jab in that same area about 20 yrs ago and probably a couple flu ones in my 40's don't remember for sure.

Anyone have any ideas on this...never brought this up to the dermatologist I saw about 10 yrs ago for another issue. Just wondering...
My mother got the smallpox shot in her left thigh as a child and had a hard yellowed scab with a small white disk in the center most of her life. I noticed that it was finally gone when she was in her late 60s. Don't know how or why it went away. She wasn't the type to have it surgically removed. It didn't seem to harm her in any way.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
My mother got the smallpox shot in her left thigh as a child and had a hard yellowed scab with a small white disk in the center most of her life. I noticed that it was finally gone when she was in her late 60s. Don't know how or why it went away. She wasn't the type to have it surgically removed. It didn't seem to harm her in any way.
Interesting>> That's why I believe this "thing" is from the pox shot.....

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Well thanks for all the comments here and I just knew MOST would say "get to a doctor"...that's the song and dance in this group. Not my song and dance MOST of the times.

What I got thru all these 24+ hrs is adding more oils, CBD salve, Tea Tree Oil and Zinc Oxide to this "hard" glob, that today the area is so soft and the stuff is rolling off..... Thanks all...

And I don't believe this will be the cause of any funeral in my life.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness