U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

18,499 posts, read 8,756,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I realized I curled my hands/wrists under my chin while sleeping. Wearing braces every night cured me of this bad habit, and I haven't had problems since.

Backstory: When I was 7, my brother told me about a kid who got locked in the stockyards overnight, and the rats ate him; just his skeleton was left the next day. So I curled my hands like that to protect my neck so rats couldn't bite through my jugular. Kids get weird ideas; there were no rats in our suburban home until years later, when my sister had some as pets.
Adults can get weird ideas too. A roly poly walked into my EAR when I was in college. A Dr. shined a light and he walked out. He told me horror stories of other kids of thing that can do that and hurt like incredible, screaming pain.

I put tissue in my ears for years when I went to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

10,861 posts, read 7,938,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Best of my knowledge you cannot be diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel over the phone. It is diagnosed by Electromyography and a Nerve Conduction study. I would strongly suggest getting tested if you feel you have Carpal Tunnel, the only way you will know for sure.
If indeed this is what you have, it will not get better, only worse. Best course of action is to wear a wrist brace at night, Ace makes a very good one available at Walmart. Typical; symptoms are worse at night where it can get close to unbearable.
I think if you tried to get disability due to Carpal Tunnel they would laugh at you. With today's technology, it is a fairly simple fix with only a few weeks before one is back to normal.
Just as a note, I was diagnosed with a severe case of Carpal Tunnel, headed to the doctor today to schedule the simple surgery.
If I may, a suggestion. Get all your tasks that require the use of your hands done a day or two before the surgery, unless you have someone who will do them for you. While it's an easy surgery, it's pretty painful when you try to use your hand for much for a few days afterwards. This may be more likely if you have open CT surgery, as I did, where the doc makes about a 1 inch incision in the palm over the transverse ligament to cut it. Things go much better if you rest it as they instruct you to do. I'm just impatient and tend to try and jump back into full activities too soon, then pay the piper. Even still, this will pass, it's not quite a week ago I had the surgery.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Adults can get weird ideas too. A roly poly walked into my EAR when I was in college. A Dr. shined a light and he walked out. He told me horror stories of other kids of thing that can do that and hurt like incredible, screaming pain.

I put tissue in my ears for years when I went to bed.
What's a roly poly? Sounds like a bug or something, but ????

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,222,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What's a roly poly? Sounds like a bug or something, but ????
A.k.a. Pill bug, sow bug
Armored looking beetle that rolls up when it feels threatened

Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
A.k.a. Pill bug, sow bug
Armored looking beetle that rolls up when it feels threatened
Oh ok, thanks. Think I have seen those on occasion. Sure wouldn't want one crawling into my ear though. Though glad to hear he walked voluntarily out of Jencam's ear after a doctor held a light to show him the way out.

Old Today, 06:31 AM

4,008 posts, read 1,568,458 times
First, a little anatomy & pathophysiology:

The tender, hairless skin of the forearm covers the flexor muscles, while the tough, hairy skin covers the extensor muscles...The meaty part of the thumb and base of the little finger on the palm come together at the wrist. The carpal tunnel runs runs between them at the wrist, and the median nerve, which goes to the thumb, index & middle finger and part of he ring finger, runs thru the tunnel.

Tasks such as squeezing your knife & fork, hand tools, typing, using the mouse, etc etc strengthens the flexors and we do very little (except for stacking hay bails) that strengthens the extensors, so...the flexor side tends to over-power the extensor side and that puts pressure on the wrist joint and the median nerve running thru it.

If you develop the pain or pins & needles symptoms of CTS and catch it early (or if you want to avoid getting it), you can restore the muscle tension around the wrist by doing exercises to increase the extensor tone and keep things balanced...Sit with elbows and forearms on your thighs, palms down. Hold light weights (soup cans are perfect) in your hands and lift them, moving only your wrists. Do reps and do it regularly. ..This can prevent CTS in those susceptible by virtue of their work, or can treat & correct milder cases.

For milder cases, you can also wear wrist gear with a metal strap that keeps the wrist bent back slightly while you sleep.

Yes, you can make a presumptive diagnosis via tele-conference (usually the dx is suggested by history. Tinel's sign is not usually present on exam), but until we can do tele-surgery, I guess it doesn't make much difference whether it's the right dx or not...Medico-legal things being what they are, no one will do surgery without EMG/NCV testing for confirmation.

For the nit-pickers among us, there are other causes of CTS- myxedematous deposits in hypothyroidism, calcific deformities in arthritis, etc, but 99% are caused by muscle tone imbalance and can be avoided by exercise as described.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If I may, a suggestion. Get all your tasks that require the use of your hands done a day or two before the surgery, unless you have someone who will do them for you. While it's an easy surgery, it's pretty painful when you try to use your hand for much for a few days afterwards. This may be more likely if you have open CT surgery, as I did, where the doc makes about a 1 inch incision in the palm over the transverse ligament to cut it. Things go much better if you rest it as they instruct you to do. I'm just impatient and tend to try and jump back into full activities too soon, then pay the piper. Even still, this will pass, it's not quite a week ago I had the surgery.
Thanks for the advise. Does it help or would you advise wearing a wrist brace after surgery to help prevent issues?

Old Today, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Thanks for the advise. Does it help or would you advise wearing a wrist brace after surgery to help prevent issues?
That might be a question to ask your doctor. They bandage your hand and wrist pretty securely (with an Ace bandage) a
after the surgery so it's well protected then. I was given instructions (pretty standard from what I read) to take the bandage off two days after the surgery, and cover the incision with a bandage, and keep it from getting wet. I was also advised not to lift anything heavier than a paper cup with the hand, no pushing or pulling or anything that might pull on the incision, and I have a followup appointment next week.

I wondered about the wearing of a brace or ace bandage wrapping at least at night-I imagined pulling off the bandage, ripping at the incision or something awful at night without some protection. Thankfully that didn't happen, all was intact, and in fact, the tingling/burning/itching/aching/numb combination I'd been experiencing even with the brace at night was much much better-this beginning the night of, day after the surgery.
Your experience may be different, especially if you have an endoscopic CT release (which I read is less painful immediately post surgery), but I found even the idea of a brace, which would put some pressure on the operative area of the wrist and palm, and compress, to some extent, the right and left side of the palm together, towards the incision, painful. In my limited experience, the less I have touching that area right now the better. Additionally, they don't want you to
limit the mobility of that hand/fingers post surgically to the point it develops stiffness or mobility problems.

Anyway that's my take on it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness