Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

How do we really know? My 4 year old went back to school about 3 weeks ago. On sunday i noticed she was sneezing and has a stuffy nose. Now I have a scratchy throat and am sneezing. She goes to preschool 3 days a week. My son also went back to first grade just two days a week. I don't feel terrible, but what if I have a mild case of covid? Or maybe it's a cold? I worried this would happen, but didn't think it would happen for a few more months.

Since covid appeared has anyone had a cold? I feel like that's what my daughter and I have, but since the symptoms are so similar to corona who knows? Am i supposed to call the dr to be tested when I am sneezing and my daughter has a runny nose? Both kids just had flu shots last week as well. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
High fever. Usually, it is a flu if there is fever.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:42 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
"Side effects from the nasal spray flu vaccine may include: runny nose, wheezing, headache, vomiting, muscle aches, fever, sore throat and cough. If these problems occur, they usually begin soon after vaccination and are mild and short-lived."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misc...0short%2Dlived.

Immune system is being stimulated by the vaccine. A lot of people don't take it because of the unpleasantness of a simulated flu.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Thanks, we dont have a fever. Really just stuffed nose and my throat is sore.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Thanks, we dont have a fever. Really just stuffed nose and my throat is sore.
Call your doctor.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"Side effects from the nasal spray flu vaccine may include: runny nose, wheezing, headache, vomiting, muscle aches, fever, sore throat and cough. If these problems occur, they usually begin soon after vaccination and are mild and short-lived."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misc...0short%2Dlived.

Immune system is being stimulated by the vaccine. A lot of people don't take it because of the unpleasantness of a simulated flu.
Sounds like this kid had a shot, though. Side effects from that are usually sore arm, redness, and/or swelling from the shot, headache, fever, nausea and muscle aches. These usually happen in the day or two after the shot and are not long lived.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/general.htm

Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Call your doctor.
for what really? To say I have a runny nose and scratchy throat?

Old 10-01-2020, 11:03 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
My daughter has COVID and she is merely congested and feels yucky (she said it feels similar to when she had mono. Her experience with mono was much milder than her older sister's. That girl slept for a month).

So, yes, you can have COVID and not spike a fever. Put it this way, if you have it, wouldn't you want to know you'd gotten it over with so you could get on with your life?

My daughter is only on day 4 so she is not out of the woods yet.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
How do we really know? My 4 year old went back to school about 3 weeks ago. On sunday i noticed she was sneezing and has a stuffy nose. Now I have a scratchy throat and am sneezing. She goes to preschool 3 days a week. My son also went back to first grade just two days a week. I don't feel terrible, but what if I have a mild case of covid? Or maybe it's a cold? I worried this would happen, but didn't think it would happen for a few more months.

Since covid appeared has anyone had a cold? I feel like that's what my daughter and I have, but since the symptoms are so similar to corona who knows? Am i supposed to call the dr to be tested when I am sneezing and my daughter has a runny nose? Both kids just had flu shots last week as well. Ugh.

Good question. I'm very educated on this topic but what I'm going to say is by necessity, very general. Symptoms are a clinical medicine topic and correlating them with actual laboratory results is very complicated - partly because symptoms are subjective, lab results and a clear relationship to symptoms if to be useful must be as objective as possible.

Sounds like you just have a cold. Not 100%, but very likely. This is the usual typical "cold" season. Nothing new there, and just because of COVID doesn't mean that colds and influenza are going to take a break. Kids in school are major vectors. As a rule of thumb I've always stayed "6' away" from kids and sneezing people at this time of year. Nobody ever told me to, I just figured it out for myself a long time ago.

You may (or may not) recall the old terms "head cold" and "chest cold." Although people's use of those terms varies a lot, there is in fact, some significance to that. You describe the typical "head cold" often just referred to as "a cold." Sneezing, runny nose, runny eyes, scratchy throat, little else. A cough is not considered a prominent feature in most cases; if it occurs it is productive of mucous. This is classically attributed to a Rhinovirus infection. Coronaviruses are relatively rarely the cause of the typical common "head cold."

A "chest cold" is different. Coughing is very prominent at some point and is typically a dry hacky cough, sometimes persistent enough to make your chest hurt. That cough sometimes persists usually sporadically long after you otherwise feel well - sometimes for weeks. A sore throat is common and sometimes it's pretty sore; not just scratchy. Interestingly, unlike the "muted" sense of taste you get with a head cold, sometimes a "chest cold" comes on with a transient complete 100% loss of sense of taste. Food "tastes" like styrofoam. It's very striking. A runny nose and sneezing is not present or is very limited. Chills and fever are more likely to occur in a "chest cold" are rare in a true "head cold." These "chest colds" are most likely a Coronavirus (although other viruses can cause it). Some Coronaviruses (COVID in particular) have a relatively high likelihood of causing that complete loss of sense of taste - sometimes preceded by transient dysesthesia where you experience smelling things that aren't there. These latter symptoms are very rare in any other respiratory infection other than COVID-like Coronaviruses (there are many strains). If you experience that symptom today, you are very likely infected with a COVID strain, and are at a very contagious stage. Stay home!

Of course these symptoms vary widely from person to person, so this isn't etched in stone - just guidelines.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-01-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 10-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
for what really? To say I have a runny nose and scratchy throat?
Yes. It would be better to get advice from your doctor rather than random people on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness