Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 03:25 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times

Advertisements

since the beginning of the month .I had major abdominal surgery on June 4. I started taking lorazepam just before surgery for anxiety(prescribed by my surgeon). I would like to stop taking it soon but I still have some anxiety .Have I taken a lot of this drug and should I expect a bad withdrawal period? I have had no side effects and the .05 mg twice a day has been sufficient for my anxiety and I have not once taken it more than twice a day. Still I worry about the psychological effect of getting by without it now.Does that mean I am addicted or just that I get anxious easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Of course everyone is different, but I really doubt if you are addicted after such a short time and at a fairly low dosage. In a similar situation my doctor would prescribe 1 mg pills up to three times a day and most people would not have to go through withdrawal when they stopped.

Talk to your doctor on what to do.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:49 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Of course everyone is different, but I really doubt if you are addicted after such a short time and at a fairly low dosage. In a similar situation my doctor would prescribe 1 mg pills up to three times a day and most people would not have to go through withdrawal when they stopped.

Talk to your doctor on what to do.

My nerves were so raw before this surgery which is why I was prescribed lorazepam and I was in a lot of pain in the hospital after surgery and after I got home I was still in pain and stressed at some of the complications I experienced but now I want to taper off and stop lorazepam. My nerves are still somewhat shot but I am hoping to try alternatives to lorazepam and learn other coping methods and I have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow . Not sure if I should take lorazepam today or not. I would like to find out if i really need it but can I stop cold turkey yet? Maybe take it just once a day in the morning for a few days then cut back more ? Morning is when I tend to get get anxiety .Seems I wake up some mornings with my adrenalin running .After the morning my anxiety is no so bad .

Last edited by senecaman; 06-23-2020 at 05:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 11:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I took it for some time at .5mg and then found how it can mess with the memory so I stopped it...no withdrawal issues.

OP can start by biting off little bits and go from there.

On the anxiety issues, there are MANY alternatives to control these along with working with the mind....but often we need some support for our bodies to "calm" down. And in stressful times like surgeries....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-23-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 12:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
My nerves were so raw before this surgery which is why I was prescribed lorazepam and I was in a lot of pain in the hospital after surgery and after I got home I was still in pain and stressed at some of the complications I experienced but now I want to taper off and stop lorazepam. My nerves are still somewhat shot but I am hoping to try alternatives to lorazepam and learn other coping methods and I have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow . Not sure if I should take lorazepam today or not. I would like to find out if i really need it but can I stop cold turkey yet? Maybe take it just once a day in the morning for a few days then cut back more ? Morning is when I tend to get get anxiety .Seems I wake up some mornings with my adrenalin running .After the morning my anxiety is no so bad .
Just talk to your psychiatrist - he/she is well-versed in the use of tranquilizers/antianxiety meds in addition to antidepressants and antipsychotics.

I must say though, you sound extremely stressed about this issue, at least.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I hope by now you have seen the doctor and he has helped you decide what to do. And I hope you will at least try whatever he/she suggests to you, as well as continuing appointments to determine the root of your anxiety and to cope with it. This might just be a temporary situation that will pass with time. I hope so. It's never fun to feel so anxious and miserable. Please let us know how you are doing !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness