Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

I don't have a good answer for you, especially if one of you is high-risk/med compromised. I honestly don't think that the risk would be that high risk, if you are not directly in contact with the person (i.e. they are working in another room, and the asymptomatic person is in a separate room).

I am fortunate to have N95 masks, so I would have my N95 mask, gloves, and goggles on if a maintenance person were to come in my apartment (only for when I initially have to let the person in). I also would run my air filter and then spray Lysol around afterwards.

But I would honestly think that your risk would be very low if they just quickly came in and did work in an area and you were in another area. Then the only other time you would interact with them is when they leave. Again, I would have my N95, gloves, and goggles on for that final interaction if I had a maintenance issue, but I honestly don't think the risk would be that great.

I don't blame you from being paranoid. It is a scary situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Make sure they wear masks and if it makes you feel better, spray the place down after they leave. Gloves will not make a difference, they contaminate just as easy as bare hands and you can't "wash" gloves like you can hands. It may make them feel better but will not make a difference.
This is a good suggestion. Making sure that they wear masks is critical. If the OP has a N95, he will be safest (for any potential aerosol). I like gloves in some situations, but you are correct; they aren't necessary. As long as you wash your hands, the gloves to not make much difference.

I like gloves just in case I inadvertently touch something, but I throw them away right away (i.e. I use them for grocery shopping and as soon as I get out of the store and load my bags, I throw them away and then hand sanitize). But you still have to wash your hands right away, so in a sense, the gloves do not matter much. I also use gloves when getting gas, and then immediately dispose and hand sanitize right after pumping gas.

I agree that you should also spray afterwards. The one issue is that many people cannot get a hold of Lysol/Clorox air sanitizer during this time. I was fortunate that early on I had a hunch that this was going to be a big deal, so in January, I made sure I got plenty of Lysol spray and wipes. I was also lucky to get N95 masks from a friend that works at 3M.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If they're wearing masks and gloves and you're going to be in another room or out of the apartment, I personally wouldn't worry about it. I've wiped down door handles etc. after maintenance has been in my apartment since the pandemic started. Most sources I've seen say the virus can last in the air for several hours, so if it were me, I'd wear a mask for a few hours after they leave - or remain out of the apartment for a few hours.
A basic mask (cloth or surgical) will not protect you from any aerosols lingering in the air. Only a N95 can filter out viral air particles. Wearing masks prevents the person who is wearing the mask from expelling potential infectious aerosol.

Although much of the research seems to suggest that if aerosol lingering around is infectious, it is likely in areas where there are large crowds and large volumes of aerosol being produced by people talking/coughing/etc. One person who produced some viral aerosol, while there may be viral particles present, it is not likely to be enough of a concentration to be infectious. Although this is a gray area, so this is not evidence-based (there is no evidence base on this).

Old 06-25-2020, 01:57 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Are there windows in the apartment you could have open while he is there and for an hour or two afterwards? Fresh air will dilute any virus particles.

We've had people working in our house a couple of times since this got started, and everyone seemed more comfortable with the windows open. Of course, it's easier in a house to get a breeze to blow through from one side to the other, but I'd think even one or two open windows would help.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are there windows in the apartment you could have open while he is there and for an hour or two afterwards? Fresh air will dilute any virus particles.

We've had people working in our house a couple of times since this got started, and everyone seemed more comfortable with the windows open. Of course, it's easier in a house to get a breeze to blow through from one side to the other, but I'd think even one or two open windows would help.
Yes. That is another good suggestion and has been generally recommended by health experts.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
A basic mask (cloth or surgical) will not protect you from any aerosols lingering in the air. Only a N95 can filter out viral air particles. Wearing masks prevents the person who is wearing the mask from expelling potential infectious aerosol.
The OP noted that the maintenance people have agreed to wear masks while in the apartment (something I would insist when maintenance does work in my apartment). I wear one when I go to the store because it reminds me not to touch my face: I take it off in the car, and clean my hands with sanitizer.

Quote:
Although much of the research seems to suggest that if aerosol lingering around is infectious, it is likely in areas where there are large crowds and large volumes of aerosol being produced by people talking/coughing/etc. One person who produced some viral aerosol, while there may be viral particles present, it is not likely to be enough of a concentration to be infectious. Although this is a gray area, so this is not evidence-based (there is no evidence base on this).
In addition, it appears prolonged exposure (>10 minutes) is required. That's probably why so many cases have been in places like nursing homes.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
I live in Houston,let see how many have come thru the front door-
Windstream tech came ,he refused to wear a mask,he said he cant breathe,I am not wearing any inside my house,I guess we know each other so no problem>
then a parade of plumbers came from different local companies,they all wear masks and those plastic shoe covers,and they like to keep a distance from me,we both wear masks.
When I called for appointment,the lady would always ask questions related to COV19.
As long as both parties wear those N95,N100 masks,we should be okay.
bu do wash your hands afterwards and try to wipe the places they touch

Old 06-25-2020, 11:08 PM

20,640 posts, read 4,418,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
We are in NC. One of us is high risk health-wise.

We are having some pretty bad issues with our AC that we want to get fixed before they become worse.
We will be in another room with the door closed or out of the apartment completely when they come and they promised to wear masks and gloves at all times.

Would this be considered high risk? Are there any other precautions that we should take? We will obviously clean thoroughly after they leave.

Throughout this whole pandemic we have been far to the paranoid side due to our health issues, so I’m just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Appreciate any feedback. I know it’s slightly subjective

Just get it fixed. If it's bad now, it can only get worse if you put off the repairs. A 15-30 minute repair job now can become a 2 hour+ removal/replacement job later.

Just make sure precautions are used: masks, gloves, clean the area, etc.
Being too paranoid just makes matters more stressful. That stress can make you more susceptible to illness.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree that you should also spray afterwards. The one issue is that many people cannot get a hold of Lysol/Clorox air sanitizer during this time. I was fortunate that early on I had a hunch that this was going to be a big deal, so in January, I made sure I got plenty of Lysol spray and wipes.
Bleach is easier to get than Lysol. I have seen it around at dollar stores, wholesale clubs, supermarkets etc. Get an empty spray bottle and prepare a diluted bleach solution. One cup bleach and the rest water. You can use that to spray surfaces. Just be careful not to get it on your clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness