U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:19 PM

10,770 posts, read 4,884,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Of course, all you had to do was open the newspaper and notice that the obituary section, usually two or three pages long, was now seven.
To be fair, using the number of published obituaries as evidence of a rising death rate isn't really valid. Obituaries are voluntary, not required...many reasons why surviving relatives might or might not decide to write one. For all anyone knows those newspapers have been offering bargain printing rates as part of some feel good "pandemic community support" campaign.

Old Today, 12:19 PM

27,889 posts, read 10,475,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Scientists who study disease agree that covid-19 is not a flu. Nor is it a bad cold.

This is one reason why we need new treatments and a new vaccine. We have no immunity to this “novel” coronavirus, as we do to flu.

Why is this an issue?
This doctor explains it pretty short and to the point...makes sense SO FAR with all this CV mess.

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/...d-or-allergies

Old Today, 01:42 PM

1,286 posts, read 4,830,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
maybe we should just admit: if you are still alive and have any ailment what so ever, it must be COVID> this is just getting out of hand truthfully.
EXACTLY!

Old Today, 02:51 PM

63,222 posts, read 59,918,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
To be fair, using the number of published obituaries as evidence of a rising death rate isn't really valid. Obituaries are voluntary, not required...many reasons why surviving relatives might or might not decide to write one. For all anyone knows those newspapers have been offering bargain printing rates as part of some feel good "pandemic community support" campaign.
I don't think so. Most people have an obituary put in the newspaper when someone dies. Are you saying that in the midst of a pandemic hitting a specific area, a bunch of people in that area suddenly who wouldn't otherwise put in obituaries of their dead decided to do so to the tune of five extra pages? And given that so many of them mentioned that their loved one died of COVID, how do you explain that? People are making this up? Please, be logical.

At my mother's funeral on March 31, we noticed how many fresh graves there were at the cemetery. And if you're next going to ask how we know that there were more than usual, my sister's hobby is photographing for Find-A-Grave as part of her genealogy addiction, so SHE noticed it right away.

I know five who people who have died of COVID. Pretty sure they weren't faking it. Two of them were 91, so yes, they could have died in the next six months, although one of them called my mother shortly before she died to tell her that her older sister had just died, so she herself might have had a few more years. Who knows.

As a matter of fact, now that you mention it, a friend of my mother's who died a few days before she did, of COVID-related pneumonia, did not have her obituary in the newspaper, since most of her children live out West. (My mother's own death was not from COVID, FYI.)

My former boss and his wife both got the virus. He survived. She is dead. Both 71. You think she was going to die in the next six months anyway?

By the way, I did not know her, just him, so she is not counted in one of the five I did know.

Old Today, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This info link has TOO TOO Many Similars on the Flues.

Can't say ENOUGH or TOO MUCH...Get Your Immune System Strong...

I swear no one else on this whole forum talks this language.....
But it was already explained to you, in detail, how the immune system itself is what kills the people who die on the ventilators.

Maybe you need to add to some of those supplements one that helps you retain information!

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T keep our immune systems strong, at all, but given that the people drowning in fluid in their air sacs are specifically and directly dying from their own immune system attacking the inflammation in the lungs, it's not smart to assume you are in the clear because you feel your immune system is healthier than anybody else's.

Keep your immune system healthy AND take precautions.

Old Today, 03:26 PM

10,770 posts, read 4,884,913 times
I don't think so. Most people have an obituary put in the newspaper when someone dies. Are you saying that in the midst of a pandemic hitting a specific area, a bunch of people in that area suddenly who wouldn't otherwise put in obituaries of their dead decided to do so to the tune of five extra pages? And given that so many of them mentioned that their loved one died of COVID, how do you explain that? People are making this up? Please, be logical.

I am being logical. When I consider my family and obituaries I can't recall any of the last generation who had one. Neither of my parents wanted an obituary...made a point of it. There are traditions and cultural aspects involved. Sure, their deaths are recorded somewhere, but not because of an obituary.

At my mother's funeral on March 31, we noticed how many fresh graves there were at the cemetery. And if you're next going to ask how we know that there were more than usual, my sister's hobby is photographing for Find-A-Grave as part of her genealogy addiction, so SHE noticed it right away.

The the number of graves doesn't equate to the number of deaths either. People are cremated, urns kept on mantlepieces, ashes scattered. Again, culture and tradition plays into it. If you went to India you might come away with the impression that hardly anyone died there because there weren't historical cemeteries everywhere...Hindus preferred cremation and hoped to be scattered in the Ganges River.

All I was attempting to say is that the number of obituaries doesn't equate to the number of deaths.

Old Today, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

I am being logical. When I consider my family and obituaries I can't recall any of the last generation who had one. Neither of my parents wanted an obituary...made a point of it. There are traditions and cultural aspects involved. Sure, their deaths are recorded somewhere, but not because of an obituary.

The the number of graves doesn't equate to the number of deaths either. People are cremated, urns kept on mantlepieces, ashes scattered. Again, culture and tradition plays into it. If you went to India you might come away with the impression that hardly anyone died there because there weren't historical cemeteries everywhere...Hindus preferred cremation and hoped to be scattered in the Ganges River.

All I was attempting to say is that the number of obituaries doesn't equate to the number of deaths.
And I never said they did. But when a) the number of obituaries in the local paper jumps by a few hundred percent, and b) there are more new burials than usual at the area cemeteries, then c) one can reach a conclusion, even without official governmental data, that there are more people dying in that area than usual.

The reality is that it was really rather disturbing to open the paper and see that the obituary section was as large as it was and to see so many piles of overturned dirt in the cemetery at once. It was also weird that there were three funerals, such as we could have, meeting at the cemetery office at the same time and that the total number of people attending those three funerals filled only a few cars. (We were allowed up to ten, including funeral director and any clergy.)

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; Today at 04:03 PM..

Old Today, 05:54 PM

21,860 posts, read 20,978,717 times
Thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or