U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 PM

630 posts, read 312,721 times

Advertisements

When scientific or medical articles or "breakthroughs" are reported in the mainstream media or other formats, one has to remember that this is not the original article but rather one that is written by the "Science" or "medical" reporter, many of whom lack the in depth training or qualifications to accurately paraphrase the article. They may also put their own interpretation on it. So, it always pays to go to the original peer reviewed journal article and read it if you have the relevant background to understand it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 PM

18,625 posts, read 13,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For me it's a HIGH not to turn on any media so far and not hear the constant bombardment of negative feed.
I did that for 3 weeks. Nice vacation.
Now I'm making myself aware a bit more and you know what ?
The precautions I intend to take could actually safe my life at my age OR weeks of discomfort.
I'm glad I read and watched some valid information.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM

26,724 posts, read 30,941,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
According to what I've been told... lung inflamation does not show covid-19 when cultured.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...s-to-the-lungs
Could you quote the part of the article where you got that information? I cannot find a discussion of cultures at all, and cultures for the virus are not routinely being done.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:27 PM
Status: "There is none so blind who will not see" (set 6 days ago)

5,409 posts, read 5,081,237 times
It's from my son, who's a paramedic. The cultures we done on deceased patients during autopsies.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:31 PM

7,850 posts, read 13,760,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It's from my son, who's a paramedic. The cultures we done on deceased patients during autopsies.
Then why did you cite an article RIGHT AFTER you wrote that statement, instead of saying your son told you? (I completely believe that your son told you that and I have no reason to doubt his information, but it made no sense to include a link that did not say anything like that, right underneath your statement.)

Old 06-28-2020, 01:35 PM

28,001 posts, read 10,506,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree. I’ve tuned most of it out. I’m careful, but not a recluse.
Today is 2nd day or NO Morning radio...I will however turn on NPR/BBC at 1:00PM.... here...No not a recluse but more control of what feeds into my mind. The silence is nice and more incentive to do some meditations...short ones. This is also a time when I go back on bed to do more stretches...

And I am believing more and more that some of these CV posts in H&W need to moved to PCOS...thought about this when I woke up.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:37 PM

3,937 posts, read 2,624,228 times
I never get sick. I never get the flu or the flu shot. That being said, this virus scares the hell out of me. There's just something creepy about it that I can't explain, so I'm being very careful. Not crazy, just careful.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Status: "There is none so blind who will not see" (set 6 days ago)

5,409 posts, read 5,081,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Then why did you cite an article RIGHT AFTER you wrote that statement, instead of saying your son told you? (I completely believe that your son told you that and I have no reason to doubt his information, but it made no sense to include a link that did not say anything like that, right underneath your statement.)
Really? Did you read the link?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...specimens.html

Old 06-28-2020, 01:44 PM

10,842 posts, read 4,908,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
When scientific or medical articles or "breakthroughs" are reported in the mainstream media or other formats, one has to remember that this is not the original article but rather one that is written by the "Science" or "medical" reporter, many of whom lack the in depth training or qualifications to accurately paraphrase the article. They may also put their own interpretation on it. So, it always pays to go to the original peer reviewed journal article and read it if you have the relevant background to understand it!
Very important thing to remember. The more salient (or disreputable) points are regurgitated by a journalist...on top of any subtle bias the research itself might have, they are going to add political or prurient spin to it...cherry picking for effect. Not exactly the most neutral filter. Anyone wanna say agenda?

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 01:48 PM

7,901 posts, read 3,967,582 times
What’s important about the original OP article is they have cancer meds that already seem to treat this same Type of invasiveness into capturing cells. Hope they do trials soon on using them for covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or