U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,144,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No one knows as this is all so new and issues are brought up as we go along. I don't even think like this as I don't think I"ll get it. What do people do who all have the flues in the world...I had the horrid Asian flu over 60 yrs ago and have hardly had a flu since...and my health overall is good as I keep it good.
You're at higher risk because you take BP meds that may increase the ACE2 receptors that the virus uses to gain entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 09:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 434,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wonder how many people can remember the Asian flu in the late 50s or the Korean flu in the 60s? I know millions died during the Asian flu outbreak and we did continue to live our lives. Of course this was before 24/7 coverage.
Yes, well the Asian Flu of 1957-1958 killed an estimated 70,000 to 116,000 Americans. Or basically a "really bad" flu season.

The Hong Kong Flu, which ran from 1968-1970, killed an estimated 34,000-100,000 Americans. Or basically a "bad" flu season.

You will of course notice that our current death toll from COVID-19 is well above even the high end of those estimates in just a fraction of the time of those pandemics and also includes, of course, greater mitigation efforts.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:45 AM

10,885 posts, read 4,923,836 times
Quote:
Not to mention there are other problems with sheltering too long. I think, by using common sense we can all go about our lives as close to normal as can and enjoy ourselves.
Operant phrase is using common sense. The definition of that seems to escape quite a few people. If covering nose and mouth, keeping a distance while in crowded spaces, and washing hands more to avoid introducing someone else's novel viral particles to new habitat (your naive, uneducated respiratory tract/immune system) isn't common sense, I don't know what is.

Once my immune system has had a chance to "meet" a more neutralized form of this novel virus and learned to react to it appropriately, I'll be a little more likely to dismiss it. As for a "strong immune system" well, how every individual one of those will react isn't predictable yet. If mine decides to go off the deep end and the resulting cytokine storm ends up killing me, it's host, that's not a great outcome either. If not using common sense only resulted in risk to yourself, fine...do what you want. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Everyone else you meet can suffer for your arrogant dismissal.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-30-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old Today, 05:15 PM

196 posts, read 454,074 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people can remember the Asian flu in the late 50s or the Korean flu in the 60s? I know millions died during the Asian flu outbreak and we did continue to live our lives. Of course this was before 24/7 coverage.
Yes, I remember. I was there. The Hong Kong flu in '69 was pretty nasty. The mortality numbers were a little lower than today. But what people forget is that we have added 100,000 to our population between '69 and today. So ... adjusted for inflation, those 1969 numbers are pretty impressive. The 24/7 coverage adds to the hysteria, of course. And the media forgets to add context to their stories.

Old Today, 05:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 17,748,222 times
What happens after you recover from COVID.

Son was sick for ten days, then he recovered. Now, you can't tell he even had it. Regualr exercise and work, remodeling home.

Old Today, 06:17 PM

196 posts, read 454,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Yes, I remember. I was there. The Hong Kong flu in '69 was pretty nasty. The mortality numbers were a little lower than today. But what people forget is that we have added 100,000 to our population between '69 and today. So ... adjusted for inflation, those 1969 numbers are pretty impressive. The 24/7 coverage adds to the hysteria, of course. And the media forgets to add context to their stories.
Sorry...I meant 100,000,000 of added population. Again, that makes 1969 totals really big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness