Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 05:26 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Some health problems will have lingering effects on patients and health systems for years to come.

Quote:
Besides the respiratory issues that leave patients gasping for breath, the virus that causes COVID-19 attacks many organ systems, in some cases causing catastrophic damage.
Quote:
Patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion.
Quote:
Recovery can be slow, incomplete and costly, with a huge impact on quality of life.
Quote:
Khan believes there will be a huge healthcare expenditure and burden for individuals who have survived COVID-19.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...4u3UPVx5E0dpe8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
And then there is this additional conundrum:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...A1x?li=AAggNb9

"But Watts said the low and short-lived levels of antibodies in asymptomatic infections in this study suggest we can't rely on herd immunity being induced for long enough a period of time to have an impact".

That means we may need to wait for a vaccine that induces a stronger, longer-lived response than many natural infections, she said. "I think this puts even more pressure on vaccine development."

Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Some one in the medical profession reminded us that HPV was an asymptomatic virus. Some cancers in men and women were later discovered to be caused by the virus.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
No one knows as this is all so new and issues are brought up as we go along. I don't even think like this as I don't think I"ll get it. What do people do who all have the flues in the world...I had the horrid Asian flu over 60 yrs ago and have hardly had a flu since...and my health overall is good as I keep it good.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:47 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No one knows as this is all so new and issues are brought up as we go along. I don't even think like this as I don't think I"ll get it. What do people do who all have the flues in the world...I had the horrid Asian flu over 60 yrs ago and have hardly had a flu since...and my health overall is good as I keep it good.
SARS-CoV-19 is not flu. It is becoming obvious that it is an extraordinarily different virus with protean manifestations.

Thinking you will not get it will not prevent you from getting it. Avoiding exposure is currently the only thing you can do, and if you stay at home you probably will not, unless you let someone into your home who has it and does not wear a mask.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
SARS-CoV-19 is not flu. It is becoming obvious that it is an extraordinarily different virus with protean manifestations.

Thinking you will not get it will not prevent you from getting it. Avoiding exposure is currently the only thing you can do, and if you stay at home you probably will not, unless you let someone into your home who has it and does not wear a mask.
And most people do not have the luxury of staying in the house long term letting everyone else do everything for them; not needing earn a living, not responsible for anyone or anything other than themselves (living the life of "ME"), having everything they want delivered, not needing to do much other than sit on the computer...

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 03:26 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:

No one thinks that they will get it, until they do!

We are definitely in new and uncharted territory. The future of every COVID patient will be a learning experience for the entire medical profession.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I didn't say there were flues...or perhaps there were too.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No one thinks that they will get it, until they do!

We are definitely in new and uncharted territory. The future of every COVID patient will be a learning experience for the entire medical profession.
That's true and if you keep planting those seeds in your mind, then....guess what.

Isn't it said, we reap what we sow.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:51 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
That's true and if you keep planting those seeds in your mind, then....guess what.

Isn't it said, we reap what we sow.

We are reaping what the Chinese have been sown. There is nothing your mind can do to protect you from a virus.

That said, this is a thread regarding what HAPPENS AFTER YOU RECOVER FROM COVID19. And has been posted above, no one knows.

We are in UNCHARTED WATERS.

What we do know is that the virus turns our own cells against us. We know it causes massive damage to lungs and lining of arteries in heart. We do know that after painful intubation for long periods of time, those who recover face months (maybe years) of rehab.

We also know that asymptomatic people who had the virus are POSSIBLY (likely) to have long term lung and heart issues

We also know that we really don't know a lot about this disease

Thank you China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness