U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM

4,928 posts, read 2,237,900 times

Advertisements

I want the vaccine, but am willing to let others be test cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 05:58 PM

12,913 posts, read 5,290,128 times
I wouldn't want to be in a vaccine trial, but once it's been tested and approved, I'm getting the shot.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:40 PM

11,209 posts, read 7,387,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Vaccines typically contain killed viruses, not live ones.

The flu shot, for example, contains no live flu viruses. The series of rabies shots I received had no live rabies virus. And so on.

Several of the CV vaccines currently in development are in human trials or close to it. Yes, people are volunteering to be test subjects. Frankly, I am in awe of them. They are heroes.

My Doc asked me to take part in a study here at the University

I refused, ONLY because when a commercial vaccine is released, I can't take it (even if the clinical trial product isn't selected for safety and efficacy) It was a hard choice to make

Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 PM

28,007 posts, read 10,529,051 times
Thinking about this clinical trials business and I am so far from scientific but do some thinking. I know a lot of products I use say "no animals used in testing"... maybe this means in my world, people are used and that makes sense to me. I'd be happy to be chosen for trials on supplements..

Now with the drug companies working on this vaccine, why not the developers involved be in the trials?

Then I've read/heard it could take yrs before a vaccine is found. I get that part too. Now we are being told it could take months.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-29-2020 at 10:32 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 11:12 PM

26,793 posts, read 30,972,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
Lots of recent reports in the media that describe either the new and horrible effects of coronavirus that will last for months or years or a lifetime, the incurable conditions that will go on and on, and lately this..

The new coronavirus’ reputation for messing with scientists’ assumptions has taken a truly creepy turn.
Researchers exploring the interaction between the coronavirus and its hosts have discovered that when the SARS-CoV-2 virus infects a human cell, it sets off a ghoulish transformation. Obeying instructions from the virus, the newly infected cell sprouts multi-pronged tentacles studded with viral particles.
These disfigured zombie cells appear to be using those streaming filaments, or filopodia, to reach still-healthy neighboring cells. The protuberances appear to bore into the cells’ bodies and inject their viral venom directly into those cells’ genetic command centers — thus creating another zombie.

Aren't those going to scare people away from any vaccinations? The problem is that many people have an anxiety of the virus as is and are in hiding for months. Even if the least affected states, they remine in hiding. Some old, some young. Just awfully scared to come near anyone or anything that can have virus.

So the question is.. - and this is after some posts on some social media that are showing up already - how
are those people are going to react to the vaccine once it comes out. There are already voices from those people saying they do not want to come anywhere near the vaccine if the virus is so horrible and unpredictable and since the vaccine by definition would have some virus in it.

This kind of vaccine anxiety caused by all those latest news is really not helping the situation because while the vaccine can and will help to end this pandemic and fix many problems at that, now we have whole bunch of people that are potentially scared away by media reports?
There are multiple candidate vaccines, including some that do not contain the full virus particle, including Moderna's product, which starts a large Phase 3 trial next month. There is no reason to be scared away from a vaccine by what you have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't get any jabs and won't start and found Dr. Murray's info interesting:

https://doctormurray.com/does-the-fl...covid-19-risk/
Murray's claim is false, as you have been told several times. Why do you keep repeating dangerous misinformation?

https://www.healio.com/news/infectio...-coronaviruses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thinking about this clinical trials business and I am so far from scientific but do some thinking. I know a lot of products I use say "no animals used in testing"... maybe this means in my world, people are used and that makes sense to me. I'd be happy to be chosen for trials on supplements..

Now with the drug companies working on this vaccine, why not the developers involved be in the trials?

Then I've read/heard it could take yrs before a vaccine is found. I get that part too. Now we are being told it could take months.
Some vaccines already had had preliminary testing done and were farther along in the process.

How do you know that developers are not participating in trials, or that they have not vaccinated themselves even if not officially participating?

Salk vaccinated himself and his family when his polio vaccine was still experimental.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...ine-his-family

Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM

5,663 posts, read 2,628,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a vaccine trial, but once it's been tested and approved, I'm getting the shot.
So am I.
As soon as it's available, I'm getting it.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:28 PM

28,007 posts, read 10,529,051 times
And wouldn't it be shocking if all those who get the vaccine, if it ever arrives, end up with full blown CV...not for this gal.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM

48 posts, read 9,076 times
What even? You would think, if the virus is that scary, you'd want to be vaccinated so you do not get it? I've been saying for years that anti-vaxxers don't know how good they have it. And that if they saw the actual disease the vaccines protect against, they wouldn't go on about vaccines being evil. I stand corrected. We've had 20+ thousand people die in NYC, and a good chunk of the population is spending their time being scared about... having a vaccine.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,931,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
Lots of recent reports in the media that describe either the new and horrible effects of coronavirus that will last for months or years or a lifetime, the incurable conditions that will go on and on, and lately this..

The new coronavirus’ reputation for messing with scientists’ assumptions has taken a truly creepy turn.
Researchers exploring the interaction between the coronavirus and its hosts have discovered that when the SARS-CoV-2 virus infects a human cell, it sets off a ghoulish transformation. Obeying instructions from the virus, the newly infected cell sprouts multi-pronged tentacles studded with viral particles.
These disfigured zombie cells appear to be using those streaming filaments, or filopodia, to reach still-healthy neighboring cells. The protuberances appear to bore into the cells’ bodies and inject their viral venom directly into those cells’ genetic command centers — thus creating another zombie.

Aren't those going to scare people away from any vaccinations? The problem is that many people have an anxiety of the virus as is and are in hiding for months. Even if the least affected states, they remine in hiding. Some old, some young. Just awfully scared to come near anyone or anything that can have virus.

So the question is.. - and this is after some posts on some social media that are showing up already - how
are those people are going to react to the vaccine once it comes out. There are already voices from those people saying they do not want to come anywhere near the vaccine if the virus is so horrible and unpredictable and since the vaccine by definition would have some virus in it.

This kind of vaccine anxiety caused by all those latest news is really not helping the situation because while the vaccine can and will help to end this pandemic and fix many problems at that, now we have whole bunch of people that are potentially scared away by media reports?
There are a lot of vaccines under development... like 50 or more... and some of them do NOT contain any dead viruses; they use other agents that protect the body against the Wuhan virus.

Vaccines are not 100% effective, so even if a really good vaccine is found, a few people will still get sick. The trouble then is that anti-vaxxers will proclaim the vaccine is dangerous, and will cause lots of people to skip it.

Same thing happened 20 years ago with Lymerix, developed to prevent Lyme Disease, a horrible nerve disease you can get from ticks. The vaccine was 80% effective, and some people claimed they got Lyme because of the vaccine, and filed a class action suit against the company. The company pulled the product, and even though the CDC later determined the claim was wrong, it was too late. Hundreds of thousands of people have been suffering from Lyme Disease who might have been saved had there been a vaccine.

I think anti-vaxxers should just go live in a leper's colony somewhere and stop destroying our healthcare with lawsuits.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 PM

5,720 posts, read 7,830,717 times
People who are afraid of a vaccine for a disease because of the disease probably do not really understand how vaccines work. Here is a good article to explain the research for a coronavirus-19 vaccine - https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...z1eURlIuf3TtgM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or