Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I was out walking and felt a sharp pain on my knee - lifted up my pants leg, nothing there. Next day, there was a red spot on my kneecap, about the size of a quarter, made up of little red bumps, with a few outlying red bumps here and there. Like something bit me several dozen times. Not itchy, but I put hydrocortisone cream on it and it went down. Now it is still sore to the touch, (like I said, right over the kneecap) and an underlying knee problem has flared up again, may be unrelated.

In the Northeast US, so scorpions etc are not a possibility. I wasn't walking through weeds or anything, just along the road. No pets in the house , so not fleas.

Go see a doc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 08:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Very likely a tick. That's exactly where they bite - under a pant leg. What you describe is often the first "symptom" of Lyme disease. Better see a doc.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
I'd do a televisit.

I had shingles...doesn't sound like it...especially on the kneecap.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 PM

563 posts, read 677,666 times
I was just bitten by two ticks and they did not cause a sharp pain when they bit, but they caused extreme itching, swelling, and little red bumps around due to an allergic reaction. If you see any rash that spreads out anywhere on your body like a bulls-eye, take Doxycycline. That is the best Lyme Prevention medicine out here. I am taking it now so I do not get that pernicious disease. What causes the sudden, sharp, pain, you described just walking the road, could be bees and wasps. Imo, sharper and more painful than a tick or fly bite. The stinger could have went right through your pants, but you didn't see it happen and the injury it made until the next day. I didn't. Do you see a narrow, sliver in your knee? It will have to come out.

Last edited by glenninindy; 07-02-2020 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 07:08 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
well it is better now, no more rash, not sore to the touch. No tick was attached. Had all 3 shingles shots, last one months ago. Never was a bullseye. If it was a tick bite, probably too late to take Doxycycline now. I am pretty careful about staying away from tall grass/weeds where ticks hang out. I was walking on a paved road when I felt it.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:57 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Very likely a tick. That's exactly where they bite - under a pant leg.

But not likely on the knee though. Too much movement and friction, they like out of the way areas

Old 07-03-2020, 09:56 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
The multiple bites sounds like a fire ant, which do occur in New England (different species than in the south).

Old 07-04-2020, 05:21 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
.... If it was a tick bite, probably too late to take Doxycycline now....
Lyme Dis is caused by a spirochete-- just like syphilis--and, like syphilis, Lyme D has 3 stages: the rash when you first get bit, then a latent period of weeks to months until rashes of various sorts and maybe some arthritis or general aches & pains can occur, then a longer latent period (even many years) until arterial & neurological symptoms show up....The longer you wait for dx and treatment the less likely it will be successful.
[OTOH-- I rather doubt it was a tick-- the knee cap is an unlikely place and you don't feel a tick--that's why they're so troublesome.]

And, as long as we're correcting mis-info-- you certainly can get shingles on the legs. The bugs do hide in the root ganglia, and you have 12 thoracic but only 5 lumbar root ganglia, so you're 12/5 x more likely to get the rash on the torso as the legs.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
What you describe, sounds more like a sting. Something stung you through your clothes and kept on going. Glad you are mending well.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:43 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Close enough "for government" as we say. You don't know what style the pants were. Ticks almost always bite underneath clothing...PERIOD! This "micro-consideration" you exhibit is diagnostic of neo-educational "dumb down." Stick to fast food restaurants. The rules are posted and are carefully and repeatedly massaged to be very VERY specific. Right up your alley.

I've got more experience with ticks than you'll ever want. And say goodbye to your post, which is a personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness