Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
That's the worst advice you can give a smoker: quit!

Much better: Cut down! Cut down! Smoke a third, put it out! Cut down to a half pack a day and then less than that!

When my pulmonologist diagnosed me with COPD, he was quick to say Quit (try and find some compassion in the health care field, good luck, as most are compassion fatigued). So I immediately told him: Give me your car keys! From this day on you're going to quit this very dangerous addiction to owning/driving a car, and the next time I see you I want to see your Bus Pass.

His response: You're too intelligent for me!

We all have our addictions and if you can't quit one of your addictions (like throwing your Smartphone into a river) then you're in no position to tell some else to quit their addiction, no matter how unhealthy it may be.
Okay....I'm not saying that quitting cold turkey is easy....But every time I tried to cut down all I was doing was counting the minutes until I could have my next cigarette. I was in a constant state of withdrawal that only got worse the more I tried to cut down. I don't think I ever got much below a pack a day - maybe 15 cigarettes.

Maybe that works for some people but after numerous extended attempts at cutting down I just went cold turkey. Of course I had all the withdrawal but it got to be LESS craving after a couple weeks instead of continuously increasing withdrawal. The feel of the smoke in the back of my throat was replaced by constantly drinking hot mint tea...and chewing a lot of gum - but the hot tea was the best. Might not work for you but you have to find what does.

People need to quit HOWEVER works for them. Maybe that is cutting down, cold turkey, or starting with vaping. It doesn't matter so long as it works - so try a bunch of different things - KEEP TRYING. Don't ever stop TRYING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 09:39 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
<snip>
When my pulmonologist diagnosed me with COPD, he was quick to say Quit (try and find some compassion in the health care field, good luck, as most are compassion fatigued). So I immediately told him: Give me your car keys! From this day on you're going to quit this very dangerous addiction to owning/driving a car, and the next time I see you I want to see your Bus Pass.
<end snip>
When I smoked I had all these "what abouts" too... what about the smog, what about car exhaust, what about that bus exhaust, what about eating fat, what about cholesterol, what about those with high blood pressure, what about driving, what about walking across a busy street, what about, what about... yep. I understand exactly what you are thinking and saying. I had the same thinking for 30 years.

I never thought I'd quit, I used to wake up with a cigarette between my fingers and I went to bed with one there too. Seriously, I sometimes think about smoking these days, but I'm glad I don't anymore, it's a much easier world to live in as a non-smoker. I actually feel sorry for smokers these days, it must be difficult.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:38 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
^^

Yes, at times, difficult, but I've sure saved myself a lot of money. When I moved to Tucson 2 years ago, from Las Vegas where you can still smoke inside neighborhood bars, I knew that luxury would be lost, and I'd just settle for smoking in an outside patio. 2 blocks from house, a really nice bar, with a spacious outdoor patio, and I could go there at night, have a night cap, no worries about a DUI, and then? Smoke Free AZ won't allow me to even smoke outside on the patio.

I can deal with not smoking on planes (unless it's across the oceans) and renting a car with no smoking and as far as family visits, that's been a plus, for as soon as they know I smoking the house (I don't actually) they prefer staying in a nearby motel. Yippy-I-Yo-Ky-Ay!

Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t feel like you’re getting anything with ultra lights that’s why I used to cover the holes in the filter. It’s less satisfying psychologically and physically, like switching from espresso to regular coffee. So I think maybe people smoke more in unconscious attempt to duplicate that satisfied feeling. There are also studies that showed people took bigger draws (again unconsciously) when smoking light or ultralight cigarettes.

I think they do have less nicotine, too. Doesn’t mean less toxins though.

“Light cigarettes have nicotine levels of 0.6 to 1 milligrams, while regular cigarettes contain between 1.2 and 1.4 milligrams.”

If you don’t smoke more (keep track) it’s probably a little better than full strength, just like switching from unfiltered camels to Marlboro reds is a little better. Just don’t convince yourself it makes it safe to smoke. Having less poison a day doesn’t make it safe. You’re still causing long term damage.
From what I understand, its not the nicotine that does the damage to organs, its actually the tar and toxins. If you go into a house where someone has smoked in for years, its not nicotine that coats the walls, its TAR.

Since my incident, Ive been smoking the same amount, but staying with ultra lights, it is true that Im not getting much on each drag, but Ive also noticed Im not coughing like I used to either!

Old 07-11-2020, 06:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Since my incident, Ive been smoking the same amount, but staying with ultra lights, it is true that Im not getting much on each drag, but Ive also noticed Im not coughing like I used to either!
I did that too going from lights to ultralights. I tried lozenges, nicotine gum, and patches. Those didn't help in that I'd just stop and go buy another pack of ciggies. I decided to try a variety of vaporizers. Some sort of taste like tobacco. One kind had juice that tasted like tobacco, but was available in different strengths all the way down to 0% nicotine. It was a matter of gradually working my way down. I stopped smoking traditional cigarettes, around 10 years ago. Haven't bought a pack since. I did use the vaporizers for a while, but gave up on those. The thing about vaporizers is that you just have to set your mind on quitting and gradually work toward that goal. For me, one of the hardest parts for quitting was breaking the habit of using my hands and gong through all the motions of smoking. The only thing I vape now, is occasional weed for medical purposes. I don't go overboard though. 2 or 3 hits of high CBD/low THC does the trick for me.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I did that too going from lights to ultralights. I tried lozenges, nicotine gum, and patches. Those didn't help in that I'd just stop and go buy another pack of ciggies. I decided to try a variety of vaporizers. Some sort of taste like tobacco. One kind had juice that tasted like tobacco, but was available in different strengths all the way down to 0% nicotine. It was a matter of gradually working my way down. I stopped smoking traditional cigarettes, around 10 years ago. Haven't bought a pack since. I did use the vaporizers for a while, but gave up on those. The thing about vaporizers is that you just have to set your mind on quitting and gradually work toward that goal. For me, one of the hardest parts for quitting was breaking the habit of using my hands and gong through all the motions of smoking. The only thing I vape now, is occasional weed for medical purposes. I don't go overboard though. 2 or 3 hits of high CBD/low THC does the trick for me.
Congrats, 10 yrs is awesome!! I bet you feel so much better today?!

I think the ultra lights helping me, Ive been keeping track, I am NOT smoking more, its strange, I barely get any sensation or taste from a drag, but its still keeping me satisfied at the same time, its not like Im having temptations to go buy lights or full flavors, so I think that is a positive.

I think some people on here are mis understanding what Im smoking, they just lump all 'light' cigarettes in together, they may not realize there are regular 'lights' and 'ULTRA lights' (lighter than lights).

Old 07-12-2020, 08:26 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Congrats, 10 yrs is awesome!! I bet you feel so much better today?!

I think the ultra lights helping me, Ive been keeping track, I am NOT smoking more, its strange, I barely get any sensation or taste from a drag, but its still keeping me satisfied at the same time, its not like Im having temptations to go buy lights or full flavors, so I think that is a positive.

I think some people on here are mis understanding what Im smoking, they just lump all 'light' cigarettes in together, they may not realize there are regular 'lights' and 'ULTRA lights' (lighter than lights).
We understand (been there, done that for many of us). We just don’t agree that it makes smoking that much less of a health risk. Your posts seem to convey the idea that as long as you smoke ultra lights you’re not risking your life or cutting it short.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That's the worst advice you can give a smoker: quit!

Much better: Cut down! Cut down! Smoke a third, put it out! Cut down to a half pack a day and then less than that!

His response: You're too intelligent for me!

We all have our addictions and if you can't quit one of your addictions (like throwing your Smartphone into a river) then you're in no position to tell some else to quit their addiction, no matter how unhealthy it may be.
I like that idea of smoking a third and then putting it out!!

Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We understand (been there, done that for many of us). We just don’t agree that it makes smoking that much less of a health risk. Your posts seem to convey the idea that as long as you smoke ultra lights you’re not risking your life or cutting it short.
Well, I know that since I started smoking ultra lights, Im not coughing, not hacking up phlegm all the time like I was, not feeling out of breath.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:07 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Well, I know that since I started smoking ultra lights, Im not coughing, not hacking up phlegm all the time like I was, not feeling out of breath.
My wife did not cough or hack either smoking the ultralights, but it did not save her from the grave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness