Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 10:40 AM

21,460 posts, read 12,568,166 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: Evidently my previous failure with taking melatonin was the result of my taking insufficient amounts. After finding a four year old jar of Nature Made strawberry gummies (2.5 mg each) in a cabinet, I took three instead of the usual two, figuring they must've lost some potency in all that time, and then four the next night for an even better night's sleep. Success! I see they now sell it in 10 mg. doses, so I'll look for that when these are gone. The plan is to alternate with the doxylamine so I don't develop a tolerance for either one.

Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 02:14 PM

21,401 posts, read 8,616,856 times
Good luck, otterhere, and thanks for the update.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:03 PM

Another question (I wouldn't mind having a third option in my arsenal): who uses CBD for sleep; in what forms and which doses do you find it effective? Any negatives?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:18 PM

I have not found CBD it be effective on its own for sleep. It works best for me combined with a 15 mg. THC edible. That said, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and said it did make her feel quite relaxed. So it's worth a try if you're interested.

Although CBD doesn't help me sleep, I use it daily for general health reasons. CBD is said to have neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory properties. I even read somewhere that it can help COVID patients by reducing lung inflammation.

I use a product from Bluebird Botanicals called Complete Concentrated CBD Oil + Raw CBDA. A standard dose, 15 drops, contains 25 mg. of CBD. The label recommends not more than two doses per day, but I just use one before bedtime. It's pricey, but if you get on their mailing list Bluebird regularly offers discount codes for as much as 40% off.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have not found CBD it be effective on its own for sleep. It works best for me combined with a 15 mg. THC edible. That said, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and said it did make her feel quite relaxed. So it's worth a try if you're interested.

Although CBD doesn't help me sleep, I use it daily for general health reasons. CBD is said to have neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory properties. I even read somewhere that it can help COVID patients by reducing lung inflammation.

I use a product from Bluebird Botanicals called Complete Concentrated CBD Oil + Raw CBDA. A standard dose, 15 drops, contains 25 mg. of CBD. The label recommends not more than two doses per day, but I just use one before bedtime. It's pricey, but if you get on their mailing list Bluebird regularly offers discount codes for as much as 40% off.
Where would one get a THC edible?

Old 08-22-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Where would one get a THC edible?
You need to live in a state where cannabis is legal.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:59 AM

21,608 posts, read 9,208,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
For years I took a very small dose (0.5 mg) of Ativan, a benzodiazepine. I slept very well while using it, but about a year ago, my then-doctor (long story) made me taper off of it. She said benzodiazepines can hasten the onset of dementia. I got off the Ativan with no problems, except for insomnia.

My new doctor agreed with the former one regarding discontinuing the Ativan. When I told her about the insomnia, she prescribed Trazodone (50 mg). It's not a benzodiazepine; it's an old-school antidepressant that's prescribed more these days for sleep rather than depression.

She told me at first to take a half a tablet, and I did, but it did nothing for me. Then I tried a full tablet, and I have to say, for the past few months it's worked very well for me. I sleep well, all night long.

In addition, I've completely stopped taking naps during the day. I used to be a world-class napper, but I've found that if I nap during the day, I have a terrible time falling asleep at night.

Also I started setting my alarm clock so that I get up early -- well, early for me ... 7:30 a.m. So I'm really tired when bedtime comes around.

So the combination of Trazodone, no naps, and early rising has really worked well for me to defeat insomnia.
Did Trazodone dry you out at all?

Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
You need to live in a state where cannabis is legal.
I agree!

Old 08-23-2020, 01:47 PM

9,204 posts, read 10,973,608 times
My mother used a tape player and Books on Tape to help her get to sleep and stay asleep.

I upgraded to a compact CD player with earbuds, the tape player (vs earbuds) did not slow down my thoughts. Best book is one on an unexciting topic and a reader with a droning voice. I'm out in 5 minutes max.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,367,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not posting in mental health because I don't really consider this a mental health problem. I'm not depressed or anxious; I've just always suffered from chronic insomnia. I have the kind of brain that keeps going and doesn't "turn off" without some kind of trigger or help. (And, no, I don't have ADHD, either.) As a child and young person, I would sit up for hours reading books, but now that I'm older, I need my zzzzzz's! Having not only recently read about dementia risk increasing with benzodiazepine use (this is about the only thing that's worked well for me; a very small dose) and also now having watched multiple You Tubes about my hero Jordan Peterson's recent hellish experience withdrawing from them (thanks, quarantine binge watching), I'm now seeking alternatives. You're welcome to suggest natural homeopathic remedies, but I can assure you I've probably tried them all over the years without any success, including lots of fresh air and exercise. I'm fine with a prescription drug, even with an off-label use of one that's effective for this purpose, but would prefer not to use a "schedule" drug or obviously one that's potentially addictive.

Go!
I've suffered from insomnia for many years and have tried a bunch of things. When chronic insomnia first took hold, I was getting 2-4 hours of sleep most nights, and some nights I got none at all. I tried almost every over the counter sleep aid available (tablets, melatonin, dietary supplements, teas, etc.), to no effect. I had a sleep study done that showed I did not have sleep apnea or any other obvious underlying causes. The doctor who prescribed Zolpidem. That left me deeply groggy for most of the day, so I then tried Triazolam. The same. A different doctor prescribed Trazodone. That was the scariest medication I ever took. One dose let me feeling like I was chemically lobotomized, I couldn't even tie my shoes successfully. I waited a couple days then took half a tablet instead of a full dose. Same effect. That is the only medication that I ever flushed down the toilet.

I figured I had enough of pills and decided to try more technological approaches.

I tried online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy courses. Those helped a bit, I was usually able to sleep about 4 hours a night, if I was strict about sleep hygiene (pitch black room, cool temps, no electronic devices before bed, etc.) I bought a Sleep Number bed, that provides different angles and varying softness/hardness. I got an Amazon Echo to play podcasts and sleep sounds (I really like water and meadow sounds.) I also sprayed my pillows and bedding with lavender. The smell and sound were very pleasant, like falling asleep by the side of a brook in a flower meadow full of birds.

I got a fitness/sleep tracker which helped me determine which measures seemed to result in the longest and most restorative sleep. I found that at least an hour of vigorous exercise with my heart rate high in the cardio zone for at least 15 minutes each morning was best. I was actually sleeping 7 to 8 hours at night by then, which was awesome. I quit going to the gym in mid-March 2020, when I saw so many people in that packed gym room shivering and coughing. Five days later, I was desperately sick for a week. But, it did save me a bit of money in the long run - I no longer spray my bedding with lavender as I can't smell it anymore.

I usually (but not always) fall asleep within a couple minutes after my head hits the pillow. I normally wake up after my first REM cycle with my thoughts racing and can't get back to sleep. I have now found a solution that mostly works for me Sleep With Me – The Podcast That Puts You To Sleep.

I have listened to over 20 episodes so far (there are over 900 of them) and very rarely stayed awake to the end. I found the podcast a bit irritating at first - the narrator's voice is a bit whiny, with lots of verbal glitches and about 20 minutes of commercial pitches. I think that is on purpose. It irritates me enough that I quit focusing on whatever thoughts are racing in my head. Then, the narrator gradually segues into droning monotone rambling nonsense. If you want a free nonchemical alternative to induce sleep and distractions from racing thoughts, give these podcasts a try. In fact, I found them so effective that I subscribed via Patreon. (Or maybe because I heard ocer 400 minutes of pitches so far. )

Last edited by ersatz; 12-11-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness