Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 05:49 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,976 times

Advertisements

So I’m a guy in my 30s, fairly active I lift and do HIIT. I try not to eat too much processed food and generally avoid breads/wheat and stuff with added sugar & sodium. (Note that I’m not anti-carb—it’s the gluten/wheat I choose not to eat. Fruits or potatoes are fine)

I’m wondering:

1. Is there much to the difference between “red meat” and “white meat” for our bodies? White meat is just chicken and fish?

2. I’m considering experimenting with a fish only diet. I would potentially try vegetarian but before I do that I wonder first why is fish considered generally an even healthier meat source than others? Also I’m wary of gorging in beans (I like them but too much= bloat?) and tofu (I don’t like tofu). What are the main protein sources for active vegetarians?

3. I recently reduced dairy a lot and didn’t notice any drawbacks. But if I’m going to be pulling back on meats, I worry again about protein. Is all dairy equal? Cream, cheeses, regular whole milk from Starbucks, Greek yogurt....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 09:41 AM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
So I’m a guy in my 30s, fairly active I lift and do HIIT. I try not to eat too much processed food and generally avoid breads/wheat and stuff with added sugar & sodium. (Note that I’m not anti-carb—it’s the gluten/wheat I choose not to eat. Fruits or potatoes are fine)

I’m wondering:

1. Is there much to the difference between “red meat” and “white meat” for our bodies? White meat is just chicken and fish?

2. I’m considering experimenting with a fish only diet. I would potentially try vegetarian but before I do that I wonder first why is fish considered generally an even healthier meat source than others? Also I’m wary of gorging in beans (I like them but too much= bloat?) and tofu (I don’t like tofu). What are the main protein sources for active vegetarians?

3. I recently reduced dairy a lot and didn’t notice any drawbacks. But if I’m going to be pulling back on meats, I worry again about protein. Is all dairy equal? Cream, cheeses, regular whole milk from Starbucks, Greek yogurt....?
1. Red meat is generally considered higher in cholesterol, although that is not always necessarily true. For example, a lean cut of meat like London broil has less protein than most cuts of chicken except for the very dry breast meat with no skin. I never heard of fish being considered white meat, but rather in a separate category. White meat is usually chicken, but about 20 years ago, as pork was bred to be leaner, they started to market it as "the other white meat."

2. Fish is generally considered a healthier meat source because it contains Omega 3 oils, which help guard against hardening arteries and heart problems. In a vegetarian diet, you don't have to "gorge" on beans. Just add some beans or rice-and-bean meals to your diet. Some beans make you more bloated and gassy than other. Black beans and lentils seem to me to have less of an effect that way.

Most plant foods have proteins, just not all have complete proteins like meat or fish or eggs, but eating a wide variety and combination of foods should get you all the protein you need. You don't need as much protein as the meat industry wants us to think. (Note: I have been vegetarian and am no longer. I do eat meat again, and I have no agenda here. Just sharing what I learned.)

There is a meme out there with a picture of Samuel L. Jackson pointing a gun and saying, "Say where do you get your protein ONE MORE TIME, <bleep>" It's a tired old question that vegetarians and vegans get asked too often, but the point is that the question is based on a false premise. You probably don't need as much protein as you think you've been led to believe. Go check out all those memes with buff vegan guys who lift.

3. Greek yogurt has higher protein, and also very important, less sugar than the other dairy sources you list. Cheese has protein, but be careful. I never ever in my life had high cholesterol until I became a vegetarian. Cheese was the culprit.

Don't get the "Starbucks" reference to regular whole milk, but I'm not a fan of deliberately burnt coffee, so maybe I'm just not catching some cultural reference.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
mods advice is spot-on, I'll just throw my own personal 2 centavos:

1. pork, the other white meat: its cheaper than most sources of protein on a per-pound basis,
but ya know it aint Kosher (or Halal) for them Jews or Muslims.

2. red meat is higher in iron than other choices. Be prepared to incorporate a metric ton of spinach, and cook in a cast iron pan to compensate.
I went 98% red-meat free, during the era of Mad Cow Disease and the onset of cloned beef. After a year, how do you feel? That's a question only you can answer. For the opposite side of the coin, listen to Joe Rogan rave about the benefits of eating an Elk that you shot+killed yourself. Example article: https://thehunterconservationist.com/wild-cooking/how-much-meat-should-you-from-your-elk-or-deer/

maybe what you really dislike is CAFO/factory farmed cow and not really red meat, per se.

3. ah, so you wanna be a pesky-vegetarian? (pescatarian). Entirely do-able and quite pleasurable, my child forced us to become this way for a few. Shrimp is delicious but also off the chart in saturated fat. It is the Bacon of the Sea.

4. Personally, boneless skinless perfectly geometric cuts of frozen tilapa filets make me cry. There is such a variety of textures and tastes and colors when we consider the many treasures of the sea. Dont overlook clams that are white, mussels that are green, squid with their ink, red snapper that turns pink, salmon that turns orange, crabs that are blue, and octopus that are purple (tho little baby octopus in a bowl of soup will make my daughter cry)

5. Not specifically a fan of Tofu, but the Sprouts Extra Firm has zero slimy/soft mouthfeel, I dont mind it

6. I wouldnt worry too much about adequate protein. According a can of Starkist tuna, that's 50% of of your US RDA for protein, and I can eat that in 60 seconds with a spoon.

7. I like eggs + greek yogurt. Cheapest source of protein I know and I never get tired of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness