U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 11:30 AM

3,158 posts, read 875,419 times

Advertisements

I have had 4 or 5 in my lifetime, The last one was 5 yrs ago when I was 65 and came back clean, the Gastro Enterologist Office sent me a reminder to schedule another one, when I found out that my Insurance after 70 yrs old only covers one with a clean Bill every 10 yrs, I cancelled the Appmnt, there is no need for one I am not goinn to pay for one, nor do one at all.

Greetings
Rate this post positively

Old 07-08-2020, 11:39 AM

3,720 posts, read 1,559,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Despite the OP's mom having the rare complication, the test saves a lot of people.
It isn't rare. Just covered up. The first time someone checked into it 5% of medicaid patients had gone to the er 1 week after the colonosocpy. This is all they looked at but if they added in everyone it would have been more than 5%. Never mind all the people who have complications over 1 week. Or complications that don't rise to the level of an ER visit.

Quote:
i work in health care
Nuff said.

Quote:
It literally saved my life. They found something per-cancerous that I had no symptoms of whatsoever.
Honestly I am a little suspicious of these "pre cancerous" findings. I think that doctors and nurses just like to tell fairy tale stories to people to make them seem like heros. And it also means you will be coming back for colonoscopy at a much greater rate. I want evidence that it was pre-cancerous.

The colonoscopy is only-- average - 94% accurate and if they are wrong and miss something you will not get another test for a while.

So I am still pondering but I think I am going with the fit fecal test at least for the moment.

- The fit test is 80% accurate for cancer, and 90% accurate in not getting false positives.
- It is done yearly so you will be right on top of anything.
- It is so cheap you can get the test yourself and have it done more than once per year.
- It does test for right side / ascending cancer and the colonoscopy is known to have poor numbers on that.
- I am a wash in Vitamin D a known supplement to reduce incidence of colon cancer.
- I have zero history in my immediate family
- I eat Keto and glucose is a known contributor to colon cancer.
- There are companies working on blood screening tests for cancer so perhaps it won't even be an issue soon.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 17,128 times
I was in the ER a little over a week after my colonoscopy. I thought I was having a heart attack. The gas and pressure I guess built up to where I felt like an elephant was on my chest. My heart was fine, but they did an chest X-ray and found a partially collapsed lung (not pneumothorax thank god) on the bottom of my right lung because of the air pressure. I had no idea! Also had no idea that I was at risk for an IBS flare. IBS that i had under control for years. The risks were not explained to me. Thats what i take exception with. And by the way, what I described that happened to me above, you have to dig for this information.

Last edited by SarahB60; 07-08-2020 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 01:53 PM

4,844 posts, read 4,351,985 times
You are "supposed to" get one every 10 years starting at age 50. I put if off until 51, I think. Then they found exactly 1 "polyp" and they said I had to do it again in 5 years. So I'm a couple of years overdue.

I think I can make it to 10, and if my wife doesn't nag me I can wait until Medicare covers it (my private insurance gets worse and more expensive every year).

Old 07-08-2020, 02:05 PM

647 posts, read 531,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's the mutation I have; it raises risk for breast, colon, and prostate cancer. My dad had it and so do two of my brothers. Dad had colon cancer and prostate cancer; one brother had prostate cancer; I had breast cancer. The other brother, nothing (yet). We all survived all of these cancers because they were found early, but yeah, CHEK2 very definitely raises risk.

I was the first one in the family to find out about the mutation, and I urged my siblings to get tested because if you have it, there is a 50-50 chance for each of your siblings to also be affected. My third brother and two of my sisters were negative and they haven't had any cancers either. The third sister didn't want to get tested and is now deceased from a totally unrelated cause.

Not getting tested is fine of course; I can understand not wanting to know if it wouldn't mean doing anything differently from what you are already doing. Since you, hackwriter, have had/will have colonoscopies, you wouldn't do anything different if you did have the mutation. But some people might be encouraged to get routine screening they would otherwise have skipped, if they knew they had a deleterious mutation. And those are the very people who are most likely to come up with a cancerous or precancerous polyp, or have a suspicious mammogram, etc.
This is what I said to the cousin who told me to get the genetic testing. I am female, so prostate is not a risk. I get a mammogram every year and a colonoscopy on recommended interval. So there is nothing different to be done. I will probably do a Cologuard after about 5 years, though. They only look at first-degree relatives now, and it was my grandfather who had colon cancer and one cousin with breast cancer.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:02 PM

12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It isn't rare. Just covered up. The first time someone checked into it 5% of medicaid patients had gone to the er 1 week after the colonosocpy. This is all they looked at but if they added in everyone it would have been more than 5%. Never mind all the people who have complications over 1 week. Or complications that don't rise to the level of an ER visit.

Honestly I am a little suspicious of these "pre cancerous" findings. I think that doctors and nurses just like to tell fairy tale stories to people to make them seem like heros. And it also means you will be coming back for colonoscopy at a much greater rate. I want evidence that it was pre-cancerous.

The colonoscopy is only-- average - 94% accurate and if they are wrong and miss something you will not get another test for a while.

So I am still pondering but I think I am going with the fit fecal test at least for the moment.

- The fit test is 80% accurate for cancer, and 90% accurate in not getting false positives.
- It is done yearly so you will be right on top of anything.
- It is so cheap you can get the test yourself and have it done more than once per year.
- It does test for right side / ascending cancer and the colonoscopy is known to have poor numbers on that.
- I am a wash in Vitamin D a known supplement to reduce incidence of colon cancer.
- I have zero history in my immediate family
- I eat Keto and glucose is a known contributor to colon cancer.
- There are companies working on blood screening tests for cancer so perhaps it won't even be an issue soon.
So, don't get the test! Not quite sure why you are continuing here. You seem to be arguing with others about it but there's no point. You really are just arguing with yourself. You are also searching for some black and white answer, some sort of guarantee. Sorry, that's impossible. Good luck with your decision whatever it is.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,133,227 times
I have to get one every year because of a colon disorder. I’ve had several. They’re simply not a big deal to me anymore. You find a prep method that works for you and get on with it.

Having watched a friend die from stage 4 colon cancer, leaving behind two young children, because her doctor kept fobbing her symptoms off as pregnancy related, I highly recommend that anyone who is advised to get a colonoscopy does so.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM

6,230 posts, read 1,902,434 times
Quote:
So it is time for me to get that scheduled for the first time.

I am hesitant to do it because my mother had a perforated intestine and I just cannot go through what she did. So I decided to look up the risks and they are shockingly bad. Only really being looked at in the last 5 years. The test itself turns out to save only about 2 of every 1000 people the procedure is done on. And about 7 out of 1000 have complications. (and the data they have only has medicare).

There are bleeding risks form getting rid of the polyps and all kinds of other risks.

Is there anyone else that has decided not to do it?
I didn't even think about the risks of perforation, geez! I do not have a family history of it (not a single one) but we had a local hospital who potentially cross-contaminated HUNDREDS of patients after it was discovered that their staff did not know how to properly clean the equipment involved in performing a colonoscopy. Nope. I'll take my chances. We all die of something, but for me, it won't be due to a blood-borne pathogen from someone else's rear end!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 PM

3,720 posts, read 1,559,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I didn't even think about the risks of perforation, geez! I do not have a family history of it (not a single one) but we had a local hospital who potentially cross-contaminated HUNDREDS of patients after it was discovered that their staff did not know how to properly clean the equipment involved in performing a colonoscopy. Nope. I'll take my chances. We all die of something, but for me, it won't be due to a blood-borne pathogen from someone else's rear end!
LOL -- one of the other top reasons for complications that do not end in people going to the ER is an infection that turns up much later.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,918,546 times
Quote:
So it is time for me to get that scheduled for the first time.

I am hesitant to do it because my mother had a perforated intestine and I just cannot go through what she did. So I decided to look up the risks and they are shockingly bad. Only really being looked at in the last 5 years. The test itself turns out to save only about 2 of every 1000 people the procedure is done on. And about 7 out of 1000 have complications. (and the data they have only has medicare).

There are bleeding risks form getting rid of the polyps and all kinds of other risks.

Is there anyone else that has decided not to do it?
What's missing from your post is whether you're trying one of the alternatives. I think there are at least two alternatives, right?

Interesting statistic, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness