U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,762 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Reputation: 42011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Some people don't have that. I don't. My doctor was nice enough to offer a service but I don't know if that service goes to the "big" hospitals. If they really wanted to increase screenings they would find a way around this issue.

I have heard someone has to stay with you for 2 hours after the procedure.
Never needed to do that. It might depend on how long you can stay before being discharged. I've gotten rides home from friend/neighbor. They left...that was it.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-06-2020, 04:58 PM
 
2,968 posts, read 1,221,053 times
Reputation: 7910
Our facilities require that your driver stay there during your procedure. You can’t take uber either.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM
 
4,339 posts, read 1,898,706 times
Reputation: 11106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Some people don't have that. I don't. My doctor was nice enough to offer a service but I don't know if that service goes to the "big" hospitals. If they really wanted to increase screenings they would find a way around this issue.

I have heard someone has to stay with you for 2 hours after the procedure.
Offering a service is great! When I had a dental implant placed I uses a local franchise called Seniors Helping Seniors, which ought to be called Seniors HIRING Seniors since it wasn't free- but I hope they're around when I need the colonoscopy. Same deal- you couldn't use Uber or a taxi and they had to stay there and wait for you. I'm sure that's a deterrent for many people who are alone and have limited funds. (My friends are either employed or pretty far away.) And I have no intention of expecting someone to stick around for 2 hours- just make sure I appear to be functioning normally and get safely into the house.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM
 
623 posts, read 808,658 times
Reputation: 941
Had my third colonoscopy in 2018 at age 71. They found a polyp that contained cancer cells. I had part of my rectum and colon surgically removed....did not need chemo or radiation because it was caught early at stage one. The procedure saved my life. I have no family history and was surprised. I did a follow up colonoscopy a year later and will do another in 2 years. Colon cancer is one of the most treatable types if caught early. I'd NEVER opt out. Your choice.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM
 
8,082 posts, read 4,432,523 times
Reputation: 9156
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Offering a service is great! When I had a dental implant placed I uses a local franchise called Seniors Helping Seniors, which ought to be called Seniors HIRING Seniors since it wasn't free- but I hope they're around when I need the colonoscopy. Same deal- you couldn't use Uber or a taxi and they had to stay there and wait for you. I'm sure that's a deterrent for many people who are alone and have limited funds. (My friends are either employed or pretty far away.) And I have no intention of expecting someone to stick around for 2 hours- just make sure I appear to be functioning normally and get safely into the house.
I drove and picked my husband once. Other time when we were living apart in different states, his coworker drove and picked him up. He didn't stay there for two hours waiting, and neither did I. Told the Receptionist to call me to come pick him up. His coworker did the same. I went home and his coworker went back to work.

I am 71 and never had one myself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 05:56 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
1,040 posts, read 54,881 times
Reputation: 368
I'm all for preventative health, i.e., tests and checks, whether there's family history of it or not. Husband has no history of colon cancer in his family, had no symptoms, healthy, normal weight, active, yet he was diagnosed with it almost 3 years ago. Detected by a colonoscopy that was offered free by our insurance. Stage 3b, which was a kick in the butt for both of us. I was starting to think of life as a widow at that point, with encouragement from my husband. That messes with your head but you have to prepare yourself. Thankfully he survived the surgery, wound infection, blood infection, C-Diff twice, and 4 months of chemo. My sweetie is still with me today. So I will never be in the "Ain't getting one" camp.

I had one two years earlier than him, for the same reason: it was free thanks to our insurance and I believe in preventative health. The prep was a nightmare, landing me in the ICU via ambulance at 2am, after I fainted and cracked my skull after a face-plant onto the tile floor. I have low blood pressure anyway and the prep was too much for me, dropping my levels to near nothing. Four days in the hospital and a spectacular black eye but I survived. Six months later, I did the prep again, dialed back by a lot. All clear. I'll do it again in 2024 when I'm due.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 06:13 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 6,077,143 times
Reputation: 26241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Some people don't have that. I don't. My doctor was nice enough to offer a service but I don't know if that service goes to the "big" hospitals. If they really wanted to increase screenings they would find a way around this issue.

I have heard someone has to stay with you for 2 hours after the procedure.
It would be really terrible not to have a single family member or friend you could ask to take you home from the hospital after a procedure, even one time. But what are the alternatives--driving yourself is not an option, taking public transit in a woozy state is not an option, and many people wouldn't want to get into a car with a stranger in that condition either. Not to mention that once you do get home, if you need any help before you've completely come to yourself, or if you start to feel ill, no one would be there.

This is clearly a problem for people who have all sorts of outpatient procedures, not just colonoscopies.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 PM
 
3,720 posts, read 1,559,110 times
Reputation: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It would be really terrible not to have a single family member or friend you could ask to take you home from the hospital after a procedure, even one time.

Thanks so much.

If worse comes to worse I might be able to ask a co worker (apparently co workers can get time off for this under the sick leave) but I don't want to do that.

Quote:
The prep was a nightmare, landing me in the ICU via ambulance at 2am, after I fainted and cracked my skull after a face-plant onto the tile floor. I have low blood pressure anyway and the prep was too much for me, dropping my levels to near nothing.
You are not encouraging me.

I am going to continue to research. I have soured on the fecal blood test. Turns out, if you get it, and you get a positive result and then you have a colonoscopy -- the colonoscopy is not covered. As you already had your "screening test" -- the blood test. Typical insurance scam.

It appears I may have to just take my time and do everything slowly and carefully.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Virginia
6,887 posts, read 3,327,348 times
Reputation: 17756
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes. I see I didn't make it clear in my post that the doctor DID talk to me about my results--I just didn't remember a thing about it. The parts that I remember, I remember clearly--reading the paperwork, seeing that the results were normal, and wondering why the doctor hadn't talked to me about them--and then not another thing until I was getting out of the car at my house.

I can see why they are so adamant that you can NOT drive yourself home after a colonoscopy, and at least where I live, you can't take public transit or Uber either--a family member or friend must pick you up.
I understand the not driving, for sure, or not taking public transit. However, when I had my last stent inserted I had the same anesthetic as the GI doctor used for my colonoscopy and my cardiologist authorized my using Uber to get home by myself. I did have a little time in the hospital to make sure I was awake and aware, but I was just fine with the Uber. With the facility where the colonoscopies and endoscopies are performed by my internal medicine group, they really don't have the time for you to spend to get "up to speed" enough for an Uber, I guess.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,510 posts, read 8,362,611 times
Reputation: 17543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Never needed to do that. It might depend on how long you can stay before being discharged. I've gotten rides home from friend/neighbor. They left...that was it.
I think the facility may recommend that someone stay with the patient for some time after they get home, but they can't enforce that, and far as I know they don't check.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top