U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,057,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I understand the not driving, for sure, or not taking public transit. However, when I had my last stent inserted I had the same anesthetic as the GI doctor used for my colonoscopy and my cardiologist authorized my using Uber to get home by myself. I did have a little time in the hospital to make sure I was awake and aware, but I was just fine with the Uber. With the facility where the colonoscopies and endoscopies are performed by my internal medicine group, they really don't have the time for you to spend to get "up to speed" enough for an Uber, I guess.
When I have had surgery in a regular hospital, they always kept me in recovery for quite a while and then in a regular hospital room for a couple more hours of observation before releasing me. But that was after full anaesthesia.

With both my colonoscopy and a reconstructive surgery I had in an outpatient center, it was "Oh, you're awake? Great! Sign right here and you can go." They couldn't wait to get me out of there.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-06-2020, 07:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 54,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You are not encouraging me.
lol! Sorry about that but it's good to know of all the possibilities. Thankfully those of us who face-plant during a colonoscopy prep are rare birds. Like you said, you need to do a lot of research and thinking about it.

When I was given the sheet of paper with the prep instructions by the Physician's Assistant, I questioned the amount of laxatives: 4 Dulcolax plus the Miralax mixed with half a gallon of Gatorade (yuk, I have always hated Gatorade & similar drinks). I said that for the few times I had taken laxatives in my life, one cleaned me out like a goose. So why that much? She said patients need to be "clean as a whistle". So I followed the instructions and it was obviously too much. I couldn't even finish all of the Gatorade mix.

Next time, I ate a low fiber diet for 3 days before and drank one 10-oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate, lemon flavor and several glasses of water throughout the day before the prep. It did the trick for me. Doc said I was clean as a whistle. I should have listened to myself when I questioned the amount of laxatives the first time. I had thought about taking only 2. But when it's a first time thing, you don't know any better.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM

32 posts, read 16,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
lol! Sorry about that but it's good to know of all the possibilities. Thankfully those of us who face-plant during a colonoscopy prep are rare birds. Like you said, you need to do a lot of research and thinking about it.

When I was given the sheet of paper with the prep instructions by the Physician's Assistant, I questioned the amount of laxatives: 4 Dulcolax plus the Miralax mixed with half a gallon of Gatorade (yuk, I have always hated Gatorade & similar drinks). I said that for the few times I had taken laxatives in my life, one cleaned me out like a goose. So why that much? She said patients need to be "clean as a whistle". So I followed the instructions and it was obviously too much. I couldn't even finish all of the Gatorade mix.

Next time, I ate a low fiber diet for 3 days before and drank one 10-oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate, lemon flavor and several glasses of water throughout the day before the prep. It did the trick for me. Doc said I was clean as a whistle. I should have listened to myself when I questioned the amount of laxatives the first time. I had thought about taking only 2. But when it's a first time thing, you don't know any better.
That prep recipe gave me intestinal cramps just by reading it. Ducolax, miralax and mag citrate sounds painfully explosive! Did you faint due to the cramping or electrolyte issues?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:05 PM

2,962 posts, read 1,213,946 times
I have taken friends for procedures even when I was working and had to take off from work.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 PM

6,484 posts, read 3,284,196 times
Quote:
It isn't that I am not going to be screened. I am going to do the fecal DNA test which has a stunning 92% accuracy rate but 86% false positive rate. If that comes back positive then I will have to get a colonoscopy... .
Something a bit annoying about the Cologuard is that it tests for three things but if you're a positive for any of them it doesn't indicate which one or ones.

I was a triple negative while my wife was a positive. She inquired which one (Blood, DNA, can't remember third) was positive and they absolutely refused to tell her!

She works in the field of health and is aware of many people who have had cancerous polyps discovered during colonoscopy, FWIW. Nevertheless, she doesn't consider the procedure a "must" for me.

I asked my 89 year old mother about colonoscopy and she said "what's that?"

Old 07-07-2020, 07:24 AM

3,162 posts, read 1,443,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
A friend of mine died at 72 from colon cancer. If he had had a colonoscopy or two back in his 50s-60s, he might still be alive and well today.

I've had one colonoscopy; it was no big deal, and will get another one soon. Better safe than sorry.
That's similar to a friend's dad who died at 75 from colon cancer. He was otherwise in great health, but had never had a colonoscopy. Doctor told him if he had done the colonoscopy when he was supposed to, he would have lived much longer, and without the pain and suffering the cancer caused. That was the firs ttime I heard "Not all polyps become cancer, but all colon cancer starts with a polyp".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm told it's propofol they mostly use for this type of anesthesia these days. Sometimes fentanyl is added, sometimes it isn't.
Same thing my oral surgeon uses, and it works well. He can take out 4 wisdom teeth in 20 minutes, and propofol's side effects are minimal, assuming you don't use Michael Jackson's doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I had a colonoscopy six years ago when I was 60. I'd put it off and finally decided to do it, then was disappointed when the doctor couldn't complete the test due to an unusually twisty colon. He just couldn't maneuver the scope all the way through my kinky guts. He got about 2/3 of the way. He didn't find any problems in what he was able to see and I've never had any significant bowel issues and I have no family history of which I'm aware. He recommended in the future I opt for the DNA stool test first and go from there if any problem is detected that way. Seems sensible. Not sure when I'll do that, maybe when I'm 70, I guess.

The procedure itself was no big deal. The prep is not pleasant, but wasn't any kind of big deal either. I liked the anesthesia.
My Mom has a twisty, small colon. They had to use a child's scope on her. She had her last colonoscopy at age 75, and decided it would be the last, as her risk profile means she is more likely to die of something else.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:35 AM

6,694 posts, read 8,561,862 times
My first scope, just a routine age-related test, showed a polyp which was removed. Three years later, during a bout of abdominal pain, second scope showed no polyps. I did end up with a gravelly gall bladder that was yanked. (Not diagnosed by colonoscopy)

Almost two years later, having been weak and fatigued with no obvious reason, the doc ordered blood work and an occult blood stool test. (Not cologuard) When the results came back later that afternoon, - blood in the stool and a hemoglobin of 7 - I was ordered to the hospital and admitted.

I had tests, blood transfusion and entered into some kind of fugue state which was described to me by my son and of which I had no memory. I was prepped for a scope and a Stage II malignancy was found in my ascending colon.

Surgery removed the tumor and 1/3 of my colon, no colostomy. Had six months of chemo, no radiation.

I am 11 years out with no recurrence. Have had several f/u scopes with no perforations and no infections.

I bid my oncologist thanks and goodbye in January. I'll invite him to my 85th. birthday party in October along with the GIs who performed the scopes. They've already given me their gifts.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 AM

3,701 posts, read 1,548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I had tests, blood transfusion and entered into some kind of fugue state which was described to me by my son and of which I had no memory. I was prepped for a scope and a Stage II malignancy was found in my ascending colon..
Apparently, colonoscopys do not see the ascending colon well. It is well known that cancer can be missed there. One reason a doctor's group is calling for a stool test every year even if you get a colonoscopy. This is another reason I kind of don't feel a colonoscopy is the best. There is an entire side of the colon that is known not to be able to be seen that well. Everyone *thinks* colonoscopys are the best possible test because they can't see everything and remove it, not so.

My mother suffered damage from removal of polyop that had not healed... weeks later a routine blood draw had her with a very low red blood count. I got a call at work to see if I could contact her and get her back to the hospital. We did and they had to cauterize the area that had not healed.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:08 AM

6,402 posts, read 2,627,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am over 70 and have never had one and don't intend to get one. End of story.
Same here. no history of cancer in the family.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:16 AM

32 posts, read 16,932 times
Quote:
Apparently, colonoscopys do not see the ascending colon well. It is well known that cancer can be missed there. One reason a doctor's group is calling for a stool test every year even if you get a colonoscopy. This is another reason I kind of don't feel a colonoscopy is the best. There is an entire side of the colon that is known not to be able to be seen that well. Everyone *thinks* colonoscopys are the best possible test because they can't see everything and remove it, not so.

My mother suffered damage from removal of polyop that had not healed... weeks later a routine blood draw had her with a very low red blood count. I got a call at work to see if I could contact her and get her back to the hospital. We did and they had to cauterize the area that had not healed.
I think this is why the GI dr provides the patient with a picture of the cecum as proof they went all the way. My tiny polyp was in the ascending colon and removed. Yeah it’s a hard place to get to and investigate for sure.

I’m very sorry to hear about your mom. How many weeks later did they have to go back in and cauterize? She must’ve been I pain until that issue got resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness