Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,632 times

Advertisements

Whatever sedation they gave me, I remember the doctor asking me a question, and I replied. Another time I was having a stent put in when I heard the doc yell “her arteries are clear” and the stent wasn’t inserted. It’s bizarre to have it happen multiple times.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:21 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have guido on ignore but he made a massive error here I hope to correct.

I am NOT having a stool occult blood test- please people try to pay attention. I am having a stool DNA test. It is 92% accurate for colon cancer. This is a new test.

It tests not only for blood in the stool but DNA markers of malignancy and much much more than one. You would think a "doctor" would know that.

https://www.ccalliance.org/screening...hods/stool-dna
You obviously have me on "ignore" whether you've pushed the button on your computer or not. Your mind is made up, so no need to confuse you with actual facts.

The Cologuard test is logically useless: if it's positive, you still need a colonoscopy as Suzie pointed out earlier. ...Can you trust a negative?....When in the future is that benign polyp that won't be found because the Cologuard test is negative and you are lulled into avoiding the colonoscopy going to turn cancerous?

Keep in mind that the sensitivity & specificity numbers quoted about these alternative tests is a measure of how well they stack up against colonoscopy: The Gold Standard that theoretically finds them all and misses none.

In regards anesthesia--I retired 5 y/a when the standard of care was Versed for colonoscopy. (I practiced at an 800 bed, tertiary care, university teaching hospital.) If these geniuses have moved away from a perfectly safe and effective use of Versed for a potentially more dangerous treatment that doesn't give any better results, then they're stupid.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:31 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
So it is time for me to get that scheduled for the first time.

I am hesitant to do it because my mother had a perforated intestine and I just cannot go through what she did. So I decided to look up the risks and they are shockingly bad. Only really being looked at in the last 5 years. The test itself turns out to save only about 2 of every 1000 people the procedure is done on. And about 7 out of 1000 have complications. (and the data they have only has medicare).

There are bleeding risks form getting rid of the polyps and all kinds of other risks.

Is there anyone else that has decided not to do it?
What's the source for this risk information? You do know people tend to search for and cherry-pick sources to support their own beliefs, right? The more you search for all the outliers and gruesome stories the more you'll find. People don't tend to share non-events. It may not help either way.

You also realize you're going to hear from those who probably also have strong negative opinions about colonoscopies...so once again, you'll hear even more of what you want to hear. Not sure that is really going to help you make a decision...unless you've already made it which I suspect you have. Its your body, but you simply can't inspect your own colon without help. Life is risky...there are no guarantees, but you know that. You can stack the deck in your favor but that's about it. If this was me I'd probably first do the DNA stool test (with the understanding that no test at this point can be 100% error free). If I still had my doubts about the result, I'd decide about the procedure then. By that time I may be more or less at peace with it. So often, by letting cloudy water sit quiet for a while you will eventually be able to see through it.

FWIW, there's no history of colon cancer in my family. My dad had a strange congenital issue with his small intestine. Because I have had two run ins with breast cancer, statistically my risk for colon cancer is higher. Both of those facts lean me toward following recommendations for colonoscopies. 3 so far without any incidents or abnormal results. Unpleasant prep? Sure. So what? A day and a half of inconvenience every few years. I'm a big girl who doesn't need to be coddled and I don't let fear rule me. The knowledge that nothing bad is growing in my gut is actually quite a relief.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2020 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 PM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
Yes I saw that. Cologuard tests for DNA not blood coming from the GI tract. The only thing about Cologuard is doesn’t detect the precancerous polyps (from what I can recall). I had one 2017 and it was negative, but the recent colonoscopy I had found a precancerous polyp.

Actually Cologuard tests for both cancer DNA AND human hemoglobin coming from the GI tract. A positive test does not distinguish between the presence of DNA from cancerous cells or hemoglobin in the stool, which is why a positive test must be followed up by further testing.

"A positive result does not necessarily mean that you have cancer. It means that Cologuard detected DNA and/or hemoglobin biomarkers in the stool which are associated with colon cancer or precancer. False positive and false negative result occur with Cologuard and appropriate follow-up is important. Patients with a positive result should have a diagnostic colonoscopy. Patients with a negative diagnostic colonoscopy following a positive Cologuard result do not require additional clinical evaluation and should continue in a screening program appropriate for you, recommended by your healthcare provider."

https://www.cologuardtest.com/faq

Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Whatever sedation they gave me, I remember the doctor asking me a question, and I replied. Another time I was having a stent put in when I heard the doc yell “her arteries are clear” and the stent wasn’t inserted. It’s bizarre to have it happen multiple times.

I have had Versed in outpatient procedures in the past, and I also tended to wake up at least a little before the procedures were done. I'm not sure how "out" I was to begin with, with those. I remember waking up in the middle of my first colonoscopy about 12 years ago, enough to be vaguely aware of what was going on but not awake enough to communicate with anyone. I also woke up a bit during cataract surgery on my right eye- that was unpleasant! I told the doc what happened and they made sure I stayed out through the entire second eye cataract surgery.

I've had a number of OP procedures in the last three years- colonoscopy, several upper endoscopies, a pacemaker placement last year and recently carpal tunnel surgery. I was out like a light for all of those with propofol, no waking up in the middle of things for any of them. I have had no residual grogginess with any of those afterwards.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know what they gave me, but I am missing large chunks of memory after waking up from my colonoscopy. I recall sitting up in the office holding the paperwork that gave my results, wondering why the doctor hadn't talked to me about those results as she had she would.

I also remember getting out of the car at home, but nothing about leaving the medical center or the drive. My daughter, who picked me up, told me they brought me out to the car in a wheelchair--no recollection of that.

I had similar intermittent amnesia for a couple of hours after an unrelated reconstructive surgery. I recall signing paperwork to be released, and walking into my house, but nothing in between. So maybe it just takes me a little longer to snap out of any kind of anaesthesia.

Anyway, there have certainly been no lasting effects for the colonoscopy. I'm glad I had it done, and the fact that it was 100% clear is very reassuring.

I guess post-conscious sedation awakeness and awareness varies, not only among different people but perhaps the same people at different times.

My experience with propofol ( I think that's what is used for conscious sedation these days as it's very short acting, and generally the patient wakes up to full consciousness- or mostly so after it's discontinued) has been that I've woken up ready to go when things were over. But now that you mention it, there was one time, this time after I had a pacemaker implanted, that the doctor said he talked to me right after he finished, with some instructions for followup. He said I was really loopy and he didn't think I'd understood anything he said, so he went off looking for my family ( which they do anyway) to make sure those instructions were followed. Thing is, I really don't remember him talking to me at all right after the surgery. He did come into the hospital room I was in after I was there about an hour, but that seemed to be to make sure I was ok- I don't remember any instructions, and he was looking for my family.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I have guido on ignore but he made a massive error here I hope to correct.

I am NOT having a stool occult blood test- please people try to pay attention. I am having a stool DNA test. It is 92% accurate for colon cancer. This is a new test.

It tests not only for blood in the stool but DNA markers of malignancy and much much more than one. You would think a "doctor" would know that.

https://www.ccalliance.org/screening...hods/stool-dna

You understand that your Cologuard test will give a positive result whether it's for the presence of occult blood or cancer DNA in the sample. The result won't tell you which one is positive for as there is no way to distinguish this in the Cologuard test. You get a negative result you can probably breathe a sigh of relief but a positive result will need further testing to see what's there.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:24 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess post-conscious sedation awakeness and awareness varies, not only among different people but perhaps the same people at different times.

My experience with propofol ( I think that's what is used for conscious sedation these days as it's very short acting, and generally the patient wakes up to full consciousness- or mostly so after it's discontinued) has been that I've woken up ready to go when things were over. But now that you mention it, there was one time, this time after I had a pacemaker implanted, that the doctor said he talked to me right after he finished, with some instructions for followup. He said I was really loopy and he didn't think I'd understood anything he said, so he went off looking for my family ( which they do anyway) to make sure those instructions were followed. Thing is, I really don't remember him talking to me at all right after the surgery. He did come into the hospital room I was in after I was there about an hour, but that seemed to be to make sure I was ok- I don't remember any instructions, and he was looking for my family.
Yes. I see I didn't make it clear in my post that the doctor DID talk to me about my results--I just didn't remember a thing about it. The parts that I remember, I remember clearly--reading the paperwork, seeing that the results were normal, and wondering why the doctor hadn't talked to me about them--and then not another thing until I was getting out of the car at my house.

I can see why they are so adamant that you can NOT drive yourself home after a colonoscopy, and at least where I live, you can't take public transit or Uber either--a family member or friend must pick you up.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 113,668 times
Quickly creeping up to 50 and no, don't plan to get one. Not at high risk, have a good diet and absolutely no trouble in 'that area.' To me, the risk of side effects from the procedure, meds or nosocomial infections doesn't justify the standard 50 year old screening. I will wait a bit longer or go in if any symptoms.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:39 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can see why they are so adamant that you can NOT drive yourself home after a colonoscopy, and at least where I live, you can't take public transit or Uber either--a family member or friend must pick you up.
Some people don't have that. I don't. My doctor was nice enough to offer a service but I don't know if that service goes to the "big" hospitals. If they really wanted to increase screenings they would find a way around this issue.

I have heard someone has to stay with you for 2 hours after the procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness