Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

So it is time for me to get that scheduled for the first time.

I am hesitant to do it because my mother had a perforated intestine and I just cannot go through what she did. So I decided to look up the risks and they are shockingly bad. Only really being looked at in the last 5 years. The test itself turns out to save only about 2 of every 1000 people the procedure is done on. And about 7 out of 1000 have complications. (and the data they have only has medicare).

There are bleeding risks form getting rid of the polyps and all kinds of other risks.

Is there anyone else that has decided not to do it?

Old 07-05-2020, 06:03 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
For me it was about weighing risks & benefits.

My father had colon cancer (he survived and lived 18 more years with no recurrence).

He had a certain genetic mutation which predisposed him to colon cancer, and I have the same mutation.

I've already had breast cancer--linked to the same gene--twice.

So, I went ahead and had a colonoscopy at age 50, which was last year, even though I did not really want to do it. With my personal and family history, it seemed like the right thing to do. I am at high risk for colon cancer and I already know that if you're going to get cancer, you want to catch it early. Fortunately, the colonoscopy was completely clear and I had no side effects from the procedure whatsoever.

Since you have a family history of complications from the procedure, I'd talk to the gastroenterologist about your risks and benefits and also express your concerns about your mother's perforated intestine. S/he will probably have more helpful advice for you than anyone on the Internet.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Fortunately, the colonoscopy was completely clear and I had no side effects from the procedure whatsoever.
Well that is good. I am considering doing the Fecal DNA test.. which seems shockingly good.

Quote:
The stool DNA test is a relatively new approach for colon cancer screening. Like the fecal occult blood test, the stool DNA Test detects microscopic amounts of blood in stool, but it also looks for certain DNA changes and mutations found in cancerous tumors or precancerous polyps. Cells from precancerous and cancerous lesions with these mutations often shed DNA biomarkers into the stool, where this test can detect them, therefore indicating the presence of precancerous polyps or colon cancer. The test is done at home by collecting a stool sample and mailing it to a laboratory for analysis.

Because DNA changes and mutations may differ between colon cancers, the stool DNA test targets multiple DNA markers to achieve high detection rates. Also, because DNA markers may be present in only trace quantities in stool, very sensitive laboratory methods are used to detect the markers. The stool DNA test demonstrates high detection rates of early-stage colon cancer.

In August 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Cologuard, the first stool-based DNA colon cancer screening test. Since then, the screening test was included as a preferred screening option by the United States Preventive Services Task Force in its most updated 2016 guidelines.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I've had more than one.

They're a breeze. The prep is h@ll, but the anesthesia part is actually kind of fun. It's a trip... it's like time travel.

And as someone who has dealt with late stage cancer, and cancer re-occurrence close up, I think people should get screened as often as possible.

But, your choice...

Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I flunked the mail in test. So my doctor set up a colonoscopy without my input. Went to the pharmacy and got the gallon jug of cleansing solution. Night before I basically spent from 9pm to 3 am in the bathroom. Thoughts of a cancer diagnosis floating around in my head. Found out I had diverticulosis and hemorrhoids. The women in the adjacent recovery space got a cancer diagnosis and was in tears.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:36 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I had one at 53 and will have one more. After age 70 your lining thins and I am 65.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had one at 53 and will have one more. After age 70 your lining thins and I am 65.
Well mom was over 65 when she started having issues. But prior to that she had internal bleeding that imho was probably caused by the colonoscopy and the doctors came up with lame excuses. A lot of the data looking into safety of colonoscopys has come back a lot worse than one might think. When my mom had her issues there were no numbers so we assumed we were alone.

Quote:
I flunked the mail in test.
Was it the stool DNA test or just the regular one that looks for blood?

What do you mean you flunked it? Did it detect blood?

I am at low risk.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 32,060 times
Heres my experience with my very first one:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...py-issues.html

I’m almost 5 weeks from the procedure and my intestines are still unstable. I’ve been dealing with an IBS flare because of it. I doubt I will do the procedure again after all of the issues I’ve been through. I was finally told that the prep can sensitize the intestines on people and with those with IBS (already sensitized) can make the symptoms worse.

Oh and yes, the perforation risk was in my mind daily. I still think about it, but I wouldn’t be improving if I had a perforation especially this far out.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:04 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
My uncle died of colon cancer so I'm at higher risk. I've had four colonoscopies so far and will continue on my gastroenterologist's recommended schedule. I think I'm at a 5 year interval now. However, I may just combine it with my endoscopy next time (I have those every 3 years due to Barrett's esophagus) and have both ends done at once!

Old 07-05-2020, 07:44 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am over 70 and have never had one and don't intend to get one. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness