Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 10:28 AM

158 posts, read 106,319 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I went for a swim, when I went in and came out, both of my ears were and are all stopped up, can barely hear out of them. Even tried using Debrox which didn't really help, this is awful, do I need to see a dr?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Yesterday I went for a swim, when I went in and came out, both of my ears were and are all stopped up, can barely hear out of them. Even tried using Debrox which didn't really help, this is awful, do I need to see a dr?
Yes. One day I took a shower and got some water in my ear and couldn't get it out for days despite using all of the OTC sprays, drips, etc.

Turns out I had wax buildup in my ears from using Q-tips and pushing the wax further down the ear canal.

I went to an ENT and it took him like 5 minutes and he pulled out a huge ball of wax from my ear.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:43 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
You might have had wax in your ears before your swim...the water added to a problem that was already building. If you have a GP with a nurse practitioner they can at least take a good look in your ears most likely flush them out. One of my ears has a very narrow canal and gets blocked with wax. I use Debrox periodically. Sometimes it isn't quite enough to dislodge all of it. DON'T stick any objects into your ear! You can push wax farther in, compact it which can make the problem worse. You can also damage your eardrum!

Old 07-06-2020, 07:39 PM

11 posts, read 4,149 times
My ears constantly get filled with wax.... I think they are slightly filled now as my hearing seems to be all messed up..... When its quiet in the room its "too quiet" and if I hear a slight noise it jolts me... Didnt used to happen. Im going to an ENT tommorow and I am going to ask him to please flush out both my ears........

I hope things clear up for you soon Msgenerse!!

Old 07-07-2020, 04:30 AM

880 posts, read 764,489 times
Probably ear wax buildup.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
One thing you might try is to make yourself yawn. That would help clear the Eustachian tube. I've found that if I jut the chin outward and then move it from side to side that induces a yawn. Put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the ears to dry them out. But as others have suggested you might also have a wax buildup.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
If you don't want to go to a doctor you can get the wax out yourself. Use and ear wax removal over the counter remedy and a bubble syringe. Use the ear wax removal as directed and then use warm water with the bubble syringe and gently flush out your ears. It may take a few times, but the wax should come out. Its easier to do with someone helping you. I have done this a few times for wax buildup and it works great. No need to go to the doctor.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:07 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I had an ear infection after catching a cold on vacation and flying home. My ears were so stopped up, sound was altered. It drove me nuts. I was prescribed sulfa, and that’s how I found out that I have a sulfa allergy.

If you think you might have an ear infection, see a doc. Or visit an ENT for a better eval, especially if the blockage does not clear up in a day or so. My DH sees an ENT for periodic ear cleaning. He says ENTs are much better at cleaning ears that regular GPs.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:55 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you don't want to go to a doctor you can get the wax out yourself. Use and ear wax removal over the counter remedy and a bubble syringe. Use the ear wax removal as directed and then use warm water with the bubble syringe and gently flush out your ears. It may take a few times, but the wax should come out. Its easier to do with someone helping you. I have done this a few times for wax buildup and it works great. No need to go to the doctor.
OP said the OTC cleaner didn't work. Of course if you aren't using it correctly...

I've also noticed it doesn't seem to have a very long shelf life. Check the expiration date on the box.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Try a couple drops of peroxide in each ear (one ear at a time - wait a min. or so) - it will bubble/fizz up - then tilt ear back down over the sink to let it drain out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness