Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 03:31 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Well I only ever had one, at age 39, and 6 months later a very visible tumor developed, which happened to have a few hidden friends,
Or the smashing around of your breast and radiation helped spread something that could have been taken care of by your body had it not been touched?

Seems obvious to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Or the smashing around of your breast and radiation helped spread something that could have been taken care of by your body had it not been touched?

Seems obvious to me.
Where do you come up with this stuff? It may be obvious to you but do you have a medical study from a reputable journal that talks about smashed boobs and cancer risk?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I most likely wouldn't be alive today at 72 if I hadn't gotten them and found the ca. My sister, who didn't get them, died at 58 from breast ca.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times
I had my first one at age 39 and a second one at age 41. They were so painful, I skipped several years. I just had a radial
scar removed in March which may put me at a higher risk for b.c. The mammos weren't too bad this time around so I'll get them.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:09 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Nope, I get them annually and just had one at age 70. My Mom had a radical mastectomy at age 62 and my sister was diagnosed at age 74 and then had a lumpectomy and radiation. I'm not taking any unnecessary risks.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Yes. I have never gotten one and I am not going to.

I have heavily researched the issue and come to the conclusion that they are not worth it for me. I am getting thermal tests and stocking up on vitamin D.

I think here is even more evidence that mammography can be harmful than colonoscopy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4582264/
That paper is complete and utter garbage. It seems to have been written by a male doctor whose goal in life is for more women to die younger from breast cancer. He doesn't state it, but the net result of what he suggests is that women won't get treated for breast cancer until they have actual lumps in their breasts. If my mother had waited for that, she would have been in stage 4 and terminal, because the type of cancer she had metastasizes quickly to the bones and brain. Fortunately, a mammogram saw micro-calcifications, a biopsy was taken and she had surgery. The surgery found that tumors had spread to the fifth sentinel node in her right arm pit, and pathology showed it was a cancer that was treatable with herceptin. 12 years later, she is cancer free and still enjoying life at age 84

Quote:

Seems obvious to me.
Do what you think is right for you, but quit trying to use bad interpretations of cherry picked statistics to stop others from going down your risky path.

And no, the body isn't going to eliminate a tumor like you think it will. And no, taking large amounts of vitamin D isn't going to cure all of your ills.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:29 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That paper is complete and utter garbage. .
There is far more than that out there. In fact some countries no longer recommend it. Tons of books as well, my favorite one written by a nurse. "What your doctor won't tell you about breast cancer." In the nurse doctor tells the truth. Mammograms cause far more cancer than they find and prevent.

Don't make it like Vitamin D doesn't have any effect. Definitely factually proven to be helpful with regard to vitamin D.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:42 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
While not perfect, no way would I skip my 3 D mammogram. I have very dense breasts and will be adding an abbreviated MRI this year. Stage 4 breast cancer is a death sentence. If I can catch it early, I want to.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I'm 55, no history of breast cancer, I did 23 and me, I thankfully don't carry the gene.

I've had about 4 of them. 2 were miserable to where I couldn't breathe, they affected my back pain. I was in bad shape with my back for close to a week with bruised breasts. I used a different place the last 2 times, they were not as bad.

I will continue getting them when my GP pushes it. My gyno had breast cancer in 2009 while my hub was fighting tonsil cancer. Her family had no history. My MIL fought 3 times, 2007, 3 years ago she got the bad one that killed her a year ago. No history in her family but she didn't know her mother. I believe she tested negative for the gene. The last cancer was the triple negative one. The 1st was in her milk ducts. She had 8 kids, I don't know if that played a part.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
While not perfect, no way would I skip my 3 D mammogram. I have very dense breasts and will be adding an abbreviated MRI this year. Stage 4 breast cancer is a death sentence. If I can catch it early, I want to.
Same here with the dense breast tissue. I also take extra Vitamin D but I'm certainly not relying on that to prevent breast cancer, especially with my family history of it. I have enough to worry about with my heart disease; I'm not going to complicate matters by ignoring my heightened risk of breast cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness