Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
To Zymer: I think the worst part about wearing a mask, at least for me, is that my breath is very WARM - and I'm doing physical work sometimes in the hot sun, in Florida, in the summertime. I'm already uncomfortable, wearing a polyester uniform shirt and long black pants, socks and leather (shineable) shoes, because that's what we're required to wear.

Now add a mask to it and you've got major discomfort, sweat drenching the inside of the mask, and having to wear it for 4-8 hours per day (depending on the shift).

The upside to all this physical activity, is that it's actually easier to breathe through that mask, than if I wasn't physically active. Breathing heavy is the trick to not feeling like you're being suffocated by that thing covering your mouth and nose. So physical activity makes you breathe heavier, therefore making the fresh air pull in and your exhaled breath push out of the mask more efficiently.
As far as the type of clothing worn in extreme heat...if you look at clothing styles in the hottest places in the world (the middle east), its common for people to wear long sleeves, long pants, robes, etc. They are wearing layers and this keeps them cool.

If they were to wear shorts, tank tops, etc their skin would be burnt to a crisp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
It's uncomfortable for Americans because they're fat, unhealthy, and not used to physical movement. So they don't wear them and this is how we get 60,000 cases a day. "It's inconvenient, it's uncomfortable wahhh." Shut up Karen. Wear a mask and stop killing people.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I find the opposite. I can barely deal with it when I'm sedentary, but if I start to breath heavily if feels like I'm suffocating. And lots of us work are finding we can't wear lab glasses with a mask because they fog up. They gave us face shields and lots of people are wearing those without a mask. I cheat and uncover my nose while wearing the mask. I'm not worried - I'm 99% certain that I already had covid. And I probably exposed a lot of people at work too.
If you're uncovering your nose while wearing the mask, then just don't bother wearing it at all. The primary purpose of the mask is to keep YOUR germs off everyone and everything else. That won't happen AT ALL if your nose is not covered by the mask.

The face shield will help somewhat however if you aren't covering the bottom of the shield to your chin, there's nothing preventing your saliva and other moisture droplets from hurling out the bottom of the shield when you sneeze, cough, clear your throat, or pronounce "plosive" letters like P, S, T, K, etc.

Either wear a mask and learn to accept it for the time being, or don't wear one at all and accept the fallout. Going "half-masked" is just being half-assed.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The new 'tan lines' of 2020: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...her-1721009143.

I have to wear surgical masks all day. Sometimes I have to wear the N95s which I do find difficult with glasses and goggles that fog up. Some companies require medical checkups for wearing even the N95s. They want to make sure people do not pass out because their oxygen levels go too low. They also want to make sure that you can use the N95s with the proper fit; so there is also a 'fit test'. No facial hair is allowed or otherwise, they will not even test you to give you that stamp of approval.

Where is all of the talk about facial hair and masks? Facial hair nullifies any of the benefits of wearing a mask because you do not get a proper seal. Of course, there are avid beard/mustache lovers that would never touch one little hair. But I have not heard the protest. Or have I heard of health professionals fighting to have people shave.
Because you're talking specifically about fitted N95s. Most people don't wear those masks. Most people are wearing either surgical masks (the disposable accordion-folded fiber/plastic masks with elastic strap earloops) or cloth masks made similarly to the surgical masks but with 2-3 layers of thin cotton cloth instead of fiber/plastic layers. Those do not get fitted, and will stretch over a mustache and beard as long as the beard isn't too long.

They are not foolproof, but they're better than nothing.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
As far as the type of clothing worn in extreme heat...if you look at clothing styles in the hottest places in the world (the middle east), its common for people to wear long sleeves, long pants, robes, etc. They are wearing layers and this keeps them cool.

If they were to wear shorts, tank tops, etc their skin would be burnt to a crisp.
Yes that's all true. I'm talking about normal womens' trousers, which are usually made with spandex and cotton - which trap moisture and create a very uncomfortable barrier of sweat between your skin and the pantsleg, AND can contribute to yeast infections if you don't get a chance to air that stuff out every hour or so.

Women don't wear those kinds of pants in the Middle-East while rolling shopping carts from the black-top parking lot into the store all day. Also - Florida = humidity. Middle-east = arid desert conditions.

HUGE difference.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It's uncomfortable for Americans because they're fat, unhealthy, and not used to physical movement. So they don't wear them and this is how we get 60,000 cases a day. "It's inconvenient, it's uncomfortable wahhh." Shut up Karen. Wear a mask and stop killing people.
It's uncomfortable and it's inconvenient. And I wear it anyway. And I'm American. And I'm not unhealthy, and I am used to physical movement.

AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE I WORK FOR who serves YOU your food every time you need groceries, whether you buy them in the store or online.

So shut up Karen, and stop whining about people who complain that masks are inconvenient and uncomfortable. Most of us wear them anyway and just need to express some frustration.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's uncomfortable and it's inconvenient. And I wear it anyway. And I'm American. And I'm not unhealthy, and I am used to physical movement.

AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE I WORK FOR who serves YOU your food every time you need groceries, whether you buy them in the store or online.

So shut up Karen, and stop whining about people who complain that masks are inconvenient and uncomfortable. Most of us wear them anyway and just need to express some frustration.

I work in public and have to wear one at least 8 hours a day, often longer. No sympathy from me for people who complain about wearing one to the grocery store for 30 minutes. The nonchalant attitude in this country about infecting others because of mUh CoNvIeNiEnCe is horrifying.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I think many people are just wearing masks so they are compliant or dont want to risk offending anyone (God forbid!), I see so many people taking them on and off moving them up and down all the time...this is NOT effective and there is no point in even wearing a mask like this!

Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
It's a good thing surgeons don't decide they can't tolerate their masks and pull them down every 20 minutes during an 8 hour operation.

For the people complaining about their glasses fogging up...
Get masks with the bendable nose piece, and then use a piece of adhesive tape to seal the mask down over the contours of your nose.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It's a good thing surgeons don't decide they can't tolerate their masks and pull them down every 20 minutes during an 8 hour operation.

For the people complaining about their glasses fogging up...
Get masks with the bendable nose piece, and then use a piece of adhesive tape to seal the mask down over the contours of your nose.

(nasally whiny voice) But that's too haaAArrrdd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness