Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,767 times

Advertisements

trumps theories best avoided
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The blood type theory has now been mostly discarded.
Discarded by whom? The new studies did indeed find that Type O has lower risk of contracting COVID. What everyone is emphasizing is that it probably doesn't reduce your risk of developing severe symptoms if you get it - but that likely depends on underlying conditions.

Blood type influences how the immune system fights infection. Researchers have not discarded it.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I feel like something has to be happening. You can see from the numbers that in any location that got hit hard during the winter, their new cases are minimal. This includes places like France, Italy, Spain, New York, New Jersey, Washington State, and Massachusetts.

One reason I think a vaccine will ever work is because I think the virus just keeps changing. We are on version 3.o now.

Before leaving work I forgot I was exposed to someone who had it. But actually NO one in the room got sick. This was before masks or any precautions.
The mutations in the virus so far have not affected its behavior and there is no reason to expect them to make it impossible to develop a vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Food for thought.

I read about a study a few years ago of intensive records search of German deaths from plague in the Fourteenth Century (gleaned from extensive church and cemetery records records.) It seems that a few extended families had NO plague deaths while being surrounded by the sick and dying galore.

Genealogical studies showed that members of these same families were able to ride out the 1918 Influenza pandemic relatively unscathed. Proceeding further along, the scions of these families are well represented in the segment of the population who seem to be unable to be infected with HIV.

Alas there are ethical problems in testing for immunity given the real risks of killing people.

But yes, I intuitively believe that some people are unable to be infected with SARS CoV-2 and probably every other disease as well. And alack, I am probably not among them having had almost ALL the childhood diseases, decades long bouts of strep infections and both Asian (H2N2) and Hong Kong (H3N2) flu's but I suspect I may be immune to HIV.
Yes, it is possible to have genes that make you less susceptible to a disease. Besides HIV, norovirus is another. I am sure some researchers are energetically pursuing that possibility for SARS-CoV-2 right now. They will look at the entire human genome for people who have been sick and those who were exposed and did not get the virus looking for differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Blood type/Vitamins and supplements /Genes. This determines how sick you get from COVID. Keep your vitamin/supplement intake high, you will get a MILD case of COVID at best. If nothing at all.

Thats a big problem today. Very few take vitamins and supplements. The older you get the more you need these things as they diminish from your body with age
There is no evidence that high doses of supplements will prevent COVID-19 or modify its course. Deficiencies should be corrected, but that is true COVID-19 or not.

Quote:
The blood type theory has now been mostly discarded.

Underlying health issues, or lack thereof, will mostly determine severity of illness.
Blood type does affect risk. People with type O blood make antibodies that may bind the virus.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
"Blood type does affect risk. People with type O blood make antibodies that may bind the virus"

Again, it is thought that the impact of this is small. Until further research is done, it's protective level is thought to be small. Some physicians do not take it into consideration when considering the many other factors that are in the mix.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:38 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Not entirely true. Japan has chugged along with minimal problems, with no lock downs. Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand have done even better.
I think you'll find Japan did a half-hearted "lock down" and now has a quickly rising infection rate. I wouldn't trust the reporting from the other countries you mentioned...Take a look at Sweden, FL, TX, CA vs Italy, NY & WA, for instance.

In regards CoViD and blood type: no correlation to severity of disease. Types O and Rh- have a slightly lower risk of testing positive for CoV-- not enough difference (15%) to warrant more risky behavior by those with those types. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?cmd...m_uid=32656591

Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Food for thought.

I read about a study a few years ago of intensive records search of German deaths from plague in the Fourteenth Century (gleaned from extensive church and cemetery records records.) It seems that a few extended families had NO plague deaths while being surrounded by the sick and dying galore.

Genealogical studies showed that members of these same families were able to ride out the 1918 Influenza pandemic relatively unscathed. Proceeding further along, the scions of these families are well represented in the segment of the population who seem to be unable to be infected with HIV.

Alas there are ethical problems in testing for immunity given the real risks of killing people.

But yes, I intuitively believe that some people are unable to be infected with SARS CoV-2 and probably every other disease as well. And alack, I am probably not among them having had almost ALL the childhood diseases, decades long bouts of strep infections and both Asian (H2N2) and Hong Kong (H3N2) flu's but I suspect I may be immune to HIV.
The problem is even within the same family there can be significant variation. My aunt constantly gets strep throat, my other aunt gets ear infections constantly and my dad has sinus issues constantly. Well it’s all in the same realm of ENT specialty. So I guess you can say it’s similar. But from a practical standpoint and presentation of symptoms it’s technically not.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:41 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
I posted this in the current events covid science thread:

Quote:
Scientists uncover SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell immunity in recovered COVID-19 and SARS patients

"Our team also tested uninfected healthy individuals and found SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells in more than 50 percent of them. This could be due to cross-reactive immunity obtained from exposure to other coronaviruses, such as those causing the common cold, or presently unknown animal coronaviruses. It is important to understand if this could explain why some individuals are able to better control the infection," said Professor Antonio Bertoletti, from Duke-NUS' Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) programme, who is the corresponding author of this study.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0716101536.htm

It looks like half of all people are immune to covid.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:47 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

Knew it... I am pretty sure I am one of them.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
Not proven yet. Still inconclusive and in need of further research.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Not proven yet. Still inconclusive and in need of further research.
Standard language in every study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

We already knew that half or more of people with COVID have mild or no symptoms. Their immune systems easily fight it off. It's logical that many people may have adaptive immunity from having had other coronaviruses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness