Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,206,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I believe that most people who are claiming not to be able to wear them actually could do so if they wanted to and not have any problems. It's just they are unwilling to put up with a little bit of discomfort.

That said, I know of two people who can't wear masks for two different (and, I believe, legitimate) reasons. One is a young cousin, 10 years old, who has a rare brain disorder that causes seizures and affects his ability to understand, remember and follow directions. He becomes hysterical if you try to put a mask on him. Another is a good friend of mine, now deceased, who was born with essential tremor. His head and hands would shake uncontrollably. He also had an anxiety disorder and was prone to panic attacks. He once told me he couldn't tolerate anything on his head such as glasses, headphones or even ear buds because these things made him even more aware of his tremor and triggered his anxiety.
Lots of people have issues like this - they can get therapy and actually training to increase their tolerance for such things. I mean, what if he HAD to wear glasses because he would be legally blind without them (and couldn't wear contacts) - would he have to figure out something in THAT case? Well, he'll have to figure out something in terms of a mask then - and that might mean never going out... We all have to live with our limitations without putting OTHERS at risk. I'm sure he'll figure something out.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,346,006 times
If people have issues with masks (legitimate or not), they should not be entering public spaces. Most stores have alternatives such as curbside pickup or delivery services.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,031,201 times
There is no point in stressing over it or trying to control what other people wear. Y'all are just going to have to accept that some won't be wearing masks. You need to figure out how to stay at home if you are that vulnerable or think you would be putting yourself in harm's way.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There is no point in stressing over it or trying to control what other people wear. Y'all are just going to have to accept that some won't be wearing masks. You need to figure out how to stay at home if you are that vulnerable or think you would be putting yourself in harm's way.
"Y'all" just need to accept we are in the midst of a public health emergency and temporary precautions taken by everyone will get us through this sooner rather than later. We all want things to go back to normal. If you can't bring yourself to act like an adult and behave responsibly you need to stay home rather than potentially spread disease.

Wear the damned mask or stay home.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-01-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've not worn a mask, and don't know how uncomfortable they are. I don't want to wear one, like to breath in our costly clean air in my state, and if I ever have to, when I go to doctor in Dec, I'll cross that bridge. I'd like this mania to be over is my first choice..
You could facilitate that happening sooner if you wear a mask. If everybody did, this would already have been mostly over by now. Check out places in Europe that acted early and stemmed the horrible tide of death in their countries.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-01-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,623,144 times
Quote:
Actually it needs to be the OTHER WAY AROUND. If you can't or won't wear a mask then YOU should be the one finding a way to stay home. Why? Because you are potentially endangering others by not wearing it. People with severe underlying conditions that are extremely vulnerable are already staying home. Wearing a mask endangers no healthy people, but NOT wearing one certainly might.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,031,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Y'all" just need to accept we are in the midst of a public health emergency and temporary precautions taken by everyone will get us through this sooner rather than later. We all want things to go back to normal. If you can't bring yourself to act like an adult and behave responsibly you need to stay home rather than potentially spread disease.

Wear the damned mask or stay home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Actually it needs to be the OTHER WAY AROUND. If you can't or won't wear a mask then YOU should be the one finding a way to stay home. Why? Because you are potentially endangering others by not wearing it. People with severe underlying conditions that are extremely vulnerable are already staying home. Wearing a mask endangers no healthy people, but NOT wearing one certainly might.

It's my responsibility to protect my health - your responsibilty to protect yours. No drama, no stress, or trying to force every individual in the rest of society to cater to me or to you.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It's my responsibility to protect my health - your responsibilty to protect yours. No drama, no stress, or trying to force every individual in the rest of society to cater to me or to you.
No complaint about the economy, closures or people losing businesses then. Whether you like it or not, all of those things are interdependent. This is not the old west where you are completely independent of others. Most people's livelihood, 401k, pensions, social security etc depend on businesses and schools being fully open again. I'll do what it takes to get to that point. Unless you can say you have no benefit from any of those, then ultimately precautions benefit you as well. Just because they *also* benefit others is no reason to balk.

Wear the damned mask.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-01-2020 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 11:09 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,247,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You could facilitate that happening sooner if you wear a mask. If everybody did, this would already have been mostly over by now. Check out places in Europe that acted early and stemmed the horrible tide of death in their countries.

Which European countries staved off the virus by wearing masks?
Thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM

5,849 posts, read 11,846,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If people have issues with masks (legitimate or not), they should not be entering public spaces. Most stores have alternatives such as curbside pickup or delivery services.
I have a friend who has one of the legitimate reasons for not being able to wear a mask and she works in a grocery store so you can't just tell her to not go out in public. She is able to wear a face shield and she does so, problem solved for now.

I think the majority of people who complain really don't have a legitimate reason (they are just being stubborn), but there are some people who have legitimate issues and those people claiming to have issues but don't make it harder for the people that really do. It's kind of messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness