Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,393,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have a friend who has one of the legitimate reasons for not being able to wear a mask and she works in a grocery store so you can't just tell her to not go out in public. She is able to wear a face shield and she does so, problem solved for now.

I think the majority of people who complain really don't have a legitimate reason (they are just being stubborn), but there are some people who have legitimate issues and those people claiming to have issues but don't make it harder for the people that really do. It's kind of messed up.
She wears a shield

Not like she refuses to do what she can out of fear she might inadvertently be considerate of others or the economy in general.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,897,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh well...guess they'll have to arrange for other services...sounds like they are not healthy enough to be "out and about". Being in their own home and next to the oxygen tank may be best for them. Or perhaps portable oxygen...WITH a mask to protect others FROM THEM.
Actually, you just proved the point.

If they are healthy enough to move about who gives a flip is they mask or not? I don't. I couldn't care less if I went into a store where NO ONE was wearing a mask.

If YOU are that SCARED of getting a mild virus with a 99% recovery rate ... that's on you to figure out what to do for YOURSELF.

You do not own my face.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,281,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There is no point in stressing over it or trying to control what other people wear. Y'all are just going to have to accept that some won't be wearing masks. You need to figure out how to stay at home if you are that vulnerable or think you would be putting yourself in harm's way.
No!!!! After today I'm sick of just "accepting" the selfish entitlement of idiots that are fully capable of wearing a mask and refusing to do so. That stupid 30-40% is holding the rest of the country hostage. I'm tired of doing the right thing, limiting trips out, etc. to protect my health and that of others when there is a STILL a significant portion of the population that refuses to do the one simple thing that could flatten the curve.

Today I had to call a young nephew on a special occasion in his life and tell him Aunt rrah wasn't coming to his small, family party. Before I spoke to him on the phone I heard the excitement in his voice as he asked, "Is Aunt rrah coming?" It broke my heart. I try not to think about the fact I've not seen my adult son since Thanksgiving and don't know when I will see him safely again since it requires a flight. Today it's too much so I'm not willing to just "accept" the idiocy of others.

I can't even begin to think about the millions of parents facing a difficult decision about sending their kids to school. The millions worried about their rent or mortgage and putting food on the table is too much. The families and friends of the 155,000 dead (and growing numbers daily) are often on my mind.

I'm tired of the lame excuses. Hoping for a treatment or cure or vaccine is fine, but there is something each of us can do now. Wear a mask. Even the Fox news, the only "real" news for most non-mask wears reported the following study: https://www.foxnews.com/science/coro...ent-wore-masks

(And yes, the Fox link was intentional since it's all some believe).

Sorry for the rant. It's a good thing I won't be out today as I'd probably be the viral video of the day when I confronted a nonmask wearer.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,271,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There is no point in stressing over it or trying to control what other people wear. Y'all are just going to have to accept that some won't be wearing masks. You need to figure out how to stay at home if you are that vulnerable or think you would be putting yourself in harm's way.
You've got it backwards...if you "can't" wear a mask then YOU need to make other arrangements. Or, YOU need to stay out of harm's way...simple!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,959,841 times
Some people won't tolerate being even slightly uncomfortable long enough to get used to wearing a mask.

Kind of like learning to wear a bra...when you first start wearing a bra, it's uncomfortable, but you have to get used to it so you can go out in public.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,644,584 times
//

Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,271,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Actually, you just proved the point.

If they are healthy enough to move about who gives a flip is they mask or not? I don't. I couldn't care less if I went into a store where NO ONE was wearing a mask.

If YOU are that SCARED of getting a mild virus with a 99% recovery rate ... that's on you to figure out what to do for YOURSELF.

You do not own my face.
I'm not limiting this to whether they are healthy enough to get out - people have walking pneumonia and may technically be able to WALK, but SHOULD they?

I know you have this semantic thing where you don't get the whole "asymptomatic carrrier" thing...but if you APPEAR to be healthy you can STILL be "sick" and have the disease and be able to transmit it to others. SO STAY OUT OF MY FACE AND WEAR A MASK. YOU don't know if you sick and I don't know - so stop risking the health of others when YOU DON"T KNOW.

And, I frankly don't care if you care. Murderers don't care that they are killers...but they're still doing something illegal. In your case, immoral.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,561,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know 2 people personally with medical conditions that cannot have breathing restriction, which is what a mask does.

They exist whether you believe it or not. Truth is like that.
Mind sharing what those conditions are?

Old 08-01-2020, 02:12 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,656,106 times
Yet another mask wearing post - bottom line: the cases will continue to rise until EVERYONE wears a mask correctly, socially distances, etc. - If you think you are some kind of special that cannot wear a mask - DO NOT GO OUT!! - Drs. and nurses wear masks, plastic sometimes gowns, etc. for 12hr. + days - a mask DOES NOT restrict your air flow.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 PM

303 posts, read 110,706 times
This week I had an opportunity to study the first disposable mask of a type that's most popular: the rectangular blue one with the folds and the ultrasonic welds on the white frame, and the Chinese loops designed to go on the cartilaginous things protruding from each side of the head for them to hook onto, that are lying all over the sidewalks.

I was issued one by a retail outlet in their hopes I'd accept the offer. I thought about throwing it away right then and there into a nearby garbage can but stuffed it in my pocket. Later I tried something: took a breath, and then held the thing firmly to my lips and tried to push air through it similar to as if inflating a raft.

Air will barely go through it under extreme pressure. The only way you're breathing on that thing is from the sides if there's sufficient gaps between it and your cheeks and chin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness