Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

Yes because the mask is intended to protect everyone that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
I am sure you've seen videos of such people that try to go into a store but yell "I CAN'T WEAR A MASK DUE TO CONDITIONS/HIPPA!!!!!!!". But isn't that just a bunch of bullcrap?

Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Amen! That is why I always believed that this poster is a troll who is making up these stories.

If true, which I firmly believe isn't, he/she is putting themselves, friends and family in mortal danger. To act this way (if really true) is sheer lunacy and person should have been fired immediately. And should buy a Megamillions and Power Ball ticket because he/she is the luckiest person alive today!

And, no, there are almost no legitimate reasons not to wear a mask

Wear your damn masks!!
I cant Rep you or Blue anymore, but you both nailed it. I look at anti maskers as the lunatic fringe. Unfortunately they will continue to put others in harms way because of their incredibly selfish attitudes.
We will never get rid of this virus because of them.

I think anti maskers deserve to be shamed!

Old 08-04-2020, 09:22 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,724,324 times
The way I look at it is this. What have you got to lose? Look at the downside of each choice:
  • If masks are not really necessary, then the only downside of wearing one is that you have been inconvenienced.
  • If masks do help prevent the spread, the downside of not wearing one is that you may catch the virus yourself or spread it to others, risking your life and that of everyone you come in contact with.
To me, it's an easy choice.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:13 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
I posted this response to someone else, then copied and pasted it to you as well since this exact same response is relevant to you as well:

I actually work full time at a Washington State prison that had a massive outbreak. (Google it and you'll quickly figure out which facility it is) and I worked on the response team that helped corral staff and inmates that had contracted the virus.

Out of the thousand or so people in the emergency tent, where I was posted for twelve hour shifts, seven days a week; only three had to go to the hospital for serious complications. And those three were old age individuals with compromised health. Half the tent showed no symptoms and the other half showed coughing and a mild fever. They were all able to get up and walk around, albeit with an uncomfortable headache.

I spoke for days to people who tested positive with my mandatory mask lowered or hanging from one ear. At the end of my three week rotation I tested negative. After our rotation only two staff from our group tested positive. They're both sitting asymptomatic and bored at home under mandatory quarantine.

After direct exposure to the heart of an outbreak I was left feeling, frankly, underwhelmed.

I still don't care about this harmless flu bug. and I am still an anti masker. But to be productive in this world filled with manufactured fear, I do help. I have dived into the deep end of the pool and contributed what I can because like every other average virus and disease on this planet; there is a tiny subset of the population that will suffer. And as a State employed service person, I have dedicated myself to helping everyone.
Who are the people in the tent? You are implying that they all are infected. That does not appear to be true. Last I could find is 232 inmates (with two deaths) and 65 staff infected. How many of those 232 are in your tent?

https://www.kuow.org/stories/shelton...t-to-make-room

There will always be people who are exposed and do not get infected with any communicable disease. Even measles, which is much more easily transmitted than this coronavirus, will not infect about 5% of susceptible people who are exposed to it.

If you are not wearing a mask despite the exposure you describe you definitely have not "dedicated myself to helping everyone".

Old 08-05-2020, 12:40 PM

343 posts, read 353,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Who are the people in the tent? You are implying that they all are infected. That does not appear to be true. Last I could find is 232 inmates (with two deaths) and 65 staff infected. How many of those 232 are in your tent?

https://www.kuow.org/stories/shelton...t-to-make-room

There will always be people who are exposed and do not get infected with any communicable disease. Even measles, which is much more easily transmitted than this coronavirus, will not infect about 5% of susceptible people who are exposed to it.

If you are not wearing a mask despite the exposure you describe you definitely have not "dedicated myself to helping everyone".
Your link seems to be broken. But in the typing it looks like it is referring to Shelton Facility in Western Washington. Mine is CRCC in Central Washington. Much bigger facility with primary outbreak. Or did have primary outbreak. It's been tamped down and control is getting steadily regained. We're told people in the tent are infected. I am not on hand for the testing or procedures that determines who comes to the tent. We simply receive them according to daily updated lists.

Regardless of how you feel, my choice on the mask is not reflective of my commitment to the people I serve. Many people with strong opinions about jumping to governors orders feel that yelling about masks is most helpful thing one can do.

Many municipalities around the country have not mandated masks. Again, regardless how a power and control pundit feels, it doesn't make them, or I, automatically evil. I am simply exercising a choice. People are comfortable joining a crowd with decision making. with that crowd at their back, they feel justified in harassing those who stand apart from the crowd. It's times like this when practicing freedom in the face of absolute adversity becomes most noticeable. And most hated.

But I do not bow. I do contribute. And I don't need crowd support to know I do more in one day to help my community than most in this country do in their entire life.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Your link seems to be broken. But in the typing it looks like it is referring to Shelton Facility in Western Washington. Mine is CRCC in Central Washington. Much bigger facility with primary outbreak. Or did have primary outbreak. It's been tamped down and control is getting steadily regained. We're told people in the tent are infected. I am not on hand for the testing or procedures that determines who comes to the tent. We simply receive them according to daily updated lists.

Regardless of how you feel, my choice on the mask is not reflective of my commitment to the people I serve. Many people with strong opinions about jumping to governors orders feel that yelling about masks is most helpful thing one can do.

Many municipalities around the country have not mandated masks. Again, regardless how a power and control pundit feels, it doesn't make them, or I, automatically evil. I am simply exercising a choice. People are comfortable joining a crowd with decision making. with that crowd at their back, they feel justified in harassing those who stand apart from the crowd. It's times like this when practicing freedom in the face of absolute adversity becomes most noticeable. And most hated.

But I do not bow. I do contribute. And I don't need crowd support to know I do more in one day to help my community than most in this country do in their entire life.
Link works for me.

The first sentence is, "Five months into the coronavirus pandemic, nearly 300 inmates and staff have tested positive for the coronavirus at the Coyote Ridge Corrections Center in Connell, Washington."

Sorry, but if you care you will wear a mask. This coronavirus does not give a whit about your "practicing freedom".

Old 08-05-2020, 01:11 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes.

Cutting through the BS of a whole bunch of ignorant/uneducated people...

...Anyone whose lung function is so severely impaired that wearing a mask presents issues, are exactly the people who should not be going out at all, because, if they are infected, they are the ones who are most likely to not survive the infection.

Wearing a mask provides substantially less protection to the wearer than to the people who are around him/her.

To put it another way, anyone who is so severely compromised that he/she cannot wear a mask, it is other people who are not wearing masks who present a danger to *you*.

Otherwise 'apparently' 'healthy' people who are not wearing masks, and *are* infected and spreading the virus, present a clear and present danger to everyone else.

To put it bluntly, anyone who is out and about, and refusing to wear a mask, is an ignorant/lying sack of crap who is more concerned about the illusion of being denied his 'rights' than the reality of his ignorance being likely to cause the deaths of other people.

If one legitimately cannot wear a mask due to decreased lung function, then that person is absolutely the *last* person who should be out and about and being exposed to others who may be carrying the virus.

Let's put it another way- anyone who is out and about, and not wearing a mask, is a self-absorbed liar and psychopathic anal sphincter who lacks any sort of empathy for how many others might die.

It's that frickin' simple.

#NoMask=Murderer

You were doing oK until you went over the top with the last part.

Murderer? Hardly, unless they are knowingly and deliberately infecting people.

More like nomask=inconsiderate idiot. No need to take it any further than that.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You were doing oK until you went over the top with the last part.

Murderer? Hardly, unless they are knowingly and deliberately infecting people.

More like nomask=inconsiderate idiot. No need to take it any further than that.
I will gladly accept the label nomask=inconsiderate idiot.

Murder requires malice and intent. That does not exist with antimaskers. Myself included.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Link works for me.

The first sentence is, "Five months into the coronavirus pandemic, nearly 300 inmates and staff have tested positive for the coronavirus at the Coyote Ridge Corrections Center in Connell, Washington."

Sorry, but if you care you will wear a mask. This coronavirus does not give a whit about your "practicing freedom".
I've already mentioned above. People say the virus does not care what I think. Well, I don't care about the virus in return. frankly I would rather die of the virus than submit to a life filled with fear of the unknown, a fear that could last indefinitely. Months? Years? Decades? But many people still prefer to tiptoe through life until they arrive safely at a different death.

Though top officials know there are insane Americans out there who are still ok with liberty or death as a mantra. So now the narrative is wear a mask to protect others. You have no fear, fine, now we switch to compassion. You don't care about others? You monster. Anything to force a certain behavior.

Thank you by the way for the first sentence in the news article. The link just keeps giving me a 'this site no longer exists' message. I assumed it was referencing Shelton as part of the link wording is Shelton.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
The anecdote is not manufactured. I do work for coyote ridge. But whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel more heroic.

The economic damage caused by the needless shutdowns is insulting to the 41 million people who now cannot provide for the future of their families. This is a two way street. I work in a prison. Trauma is my entire life. Most of the officials at the facility do require the masks. But they won't fire anyone for not wearing one. Because they understanding there are far worse things living inside these walls than some virus. Plus it is hard to fill positions at a job located smack dab in the middle of hell.

As a healthcare provider you should also be aware that in the hospital you are going to see the comparatively few worst case scenarios that come through your door. The three men that went to the hospital from my emergency tent likely went side by side with all the other worst case scenarios from around the state. Not with the multitudes of mild and asymptomatic inmates I supervise. They did not go to the hospital as it was unnecessary in their condition.

If anything your the one who sees the skewed worst end of the infected population.

As for the mask. We all get tested before going home to our loved ones. After a three week rotation, mostly unmasked, No trace and no antibodies were found.

And yes. It is about individual freedom. However barbaric that sounds to you. I've said it a million times before. That is the price we pay.
If you weren't getting routinely tested after your rotation, would you still be so cavalier about your mask use??

Would you still go home to your wife and children with no fear of the harm you could cause them by your choices??

Harming others isn't about "individual freedom"

Callous disregard for others which is what not wearing a mask during a viral respiratory borne pandemic signals is not exercising "rugged individualism"...

Its narcissism pure and simple and no one else should have to pay for your poor choices....

World War II Battle of England, everyone used blackout shades to avoid providing a target for incoming German bombers...

In a similar situation today, would you exercise your "individual freedom" by keeping all the lights on and shades up in your apartment building knowing that it could lead to the death of everyone in the building??

If not... why??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness