Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

I’ve volunteered to participate in a Covid-19 vaccine clinical trial. Mostly because I am in the vulnerable age group of 65+ and nothing in my life is essential to society such as being a public servant, educator, caregiver, etc. So, this is something I can do to benefit the greater good. I want to see an effective vaccine produced so my younger family members can resume earning a living and getting educated.

Would you volunteer? Am I being naive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I signed up to be in the Phase III vaccine clinical trials, but haven't been contacted yet.

I'm a scientist that makes viruses for a living so I have no issue with being a gineau pig, plus there's a 50% chance you will end up with saline (placebo) instead of the real vaccine.

Knowing my luck, if I was chosen, I would probably be in the placebo group!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:29 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
No.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:31 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Only if I lost my partner and international borders remain sort of closed to immigrants before starting the trials.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:03 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’ve volunteered to participate in a Covid-19 vaccine clinical trial. Mostly because I am in the vulnerable age group of 65+ and nothing in my life is essential to society such as being a public servant, educator, caregiver, etc. So, this is something I can do to benefit the greater good. I want to see an effective vaccine produced so my younger family members can resume earning a living and getting educated.

Would you volunteer? Am I being naive?
Good for you. There is no guarantee that you'll get the vaccine (you may get the placebo), but I think it's great you volunteered.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I turned them down this time. I've been in several clinical trials in the past, but (for me) the stakes were too high this time. We have too much left that we want to do

I have several co-morbidities, Type ll Diabetes, post CABG and asthma along with chronic bronchitis. MrsM is less than a year out from heart surgery

I couldn't take the chance of getting a placebo and then getting COVID. I'm confident enough in both the Oxford and Pfizer's vaccines are good enough to take. If the study was vaccine only, not double blind, I gladly would have done it!

To be honest, I really wanted to do this, but too big a risk for me and my family.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I turned them down this time. I've been in several clinical trials in the past, but (for me) the stakes were too high this time. We have too much left that we want to do

I have several co-morbidities, Type ll Diabetes, post CABG and asthma along with chronic bronchitis. MrsM is less than a year out from heart surgery

I couldn't take the chance of getting a placebo and then getting COVID. I'm confident enough in both the Oxford and Pfizer's vaccines are good enough to take. If the study was vaccine only, not double blind, I gladly would have done it!

To be honest, I really wanted to do this, but too big a risk for me and my family.
Great points! I hear you. It would be nice to actually be able to get the real thing (although I definitely understand how some could be weary). A lot of people forget that with the Randomized Control Trials, you may end up with the placebo rather than the real thing.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:32 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
I'm single, no children, 56. Mild HTN & moderately high cholesterol, both well controlled with meds.
I volunteered for 2 vaccine trials, was turned down both times.
Guess they want younger subjects.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Great points! I hear you. It would be nice to actually be able to get the real thing (although I definitely understand how some could be weary). A lot of people forget that with the Randomized Control Trials, you may end up with the placebo rather than the real thing.

Ya, I don't want to chance getting the control, I want to know I'm getting the real thing.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I salute everyone who tries to volunteer. It's no reflection on you if you're not selected. You tried. That's what counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness