U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM

311 posts, read 141,472 times

Advertisements

My family uses ibuprofen for headaches but would like to use something natural or at least healthier. Is aspirin or tylenol a better choice? Anything natural, esp for kids? If aspirin and tylenol are my only choices, which is safer and more effective? Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 06:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 7,860,759 times
If ibuprofen works take it. it can be hard on the stomach however. Tylenol is better. When it comes to kids stick with the above. Don't stray from the FDA.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:34 PM

15,514 posts, read 9,092,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
My family uses ibuprofen for headaches but would like to use something natural or at least healthier. Is aspirin or tylenol a better choice? Anything natural, esp for kids? If aspirin and tylenol are my only choices, which is safer and more effective? Thank you
Some ideas:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/headache-remedies

Personally, the first thing I do with a headache is drink a big glass of water and pay more attention to staying hydrated after that. I've tried the peppermint oil on temples and a cold pack on the area that aches (I get migraines and they are almost always on one side). Most of the time I need something stronger. All of the pain relievers are compounded chemicals...one isn't really more or less "healthy" than the other. They each treat pain slightly differently. Tylenol has less chance of stomach upset than aspirin.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:56 PM

6,141 posts, read 2,919,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
OP~~ It all depends on your headaches? Is it due to Migraine or a sinus pressure? You did NOT provide any symptoms at all! Frontal of head, back bilateral pain/above eyes pressure.. Do you have allergies etcetc.

AS a now retired nurse practitioner.. I would ask such questions before recommending anything..For all you know a decongestant or antihistamine may be more helpful.

Comparing Ibuprofen to Tylenol (both NSAIDS) are great.. OTC but importance of knowing the cause
Headaches may give you more options!

Fever for kids, as you should already know ASA is NOT recommended (https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...%20temperature.) for children. This has been well known for half century+.

Ibuprofen ( labels such as Advil/Motrin) for kids are safe. when given according to their weight and age bracket. It's also longer acting than Tylenol. Thats not to say Tylenolis unacceptable only that more frequent doses may be necessary!.

As to your question>> What's the cause of Headache?? First should be diagnosed.. Sinus HA or could be neurological causations? Could be a hangover, could be a lot of things!

Best of luck figuring it out

Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 PM

Lyndarn, thank you. I'm suffering with a 2 day (so far) menstrual headache that is not responding well to ibuprofen. I'm over 50 and recently started getting these with each cycle; 3 day long headaches. 4 ibuprofen spread out yesterday did nothing. Took 1 today and pain is manageable so I won't take anymore today.
My children get infrequent headaches associated with chocolate, sugar, or even from not drinking enough water with their chewable vitamin. Drinking lots of water helps it go away. One child vomits the chemical tasting flavored ibuprofen for kids. I need to find something unflavored for a nine year old.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 PM

Are unflavored Ibuprofen and Tylenol made for kids? It's the chemical taste that makes him vomit it right back up. It does taste bad. He can swallow pills, so at what age can he take the pill form?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 PM

1,604 posts, read 567,096 times
Life extension thoughts

Dr.Weil's thoughts

Dr.Hyman,Functional Doctor , link2

Cleveland Clinic

Food allergies like eggs, dairy, gluten

Nutrients -Coq10, 400mg B2 x2 daily, 400mg magnesium, 1mg melatonin

Processed food - Nitrates in hotdogs, deli meat, pepperoni. Artificial sweetners

Old 07-30-2020, 09:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 2,919,952 times
[quote=Withinpines;58786855]Lyndarn, thank you. I'm suffering with a 2 day (so far) menstrual headache that is not responding well to ibuprofen. I'm over 50 and recently started getting these with each cycle; 3 day long headaches. 4 ibuprofen spread out yesterday did nothing. Took 1 today and pain is manageable so I won't take anymore today.
My children get infrequent headaches associated with chocolate, sugar, or even from not drinking enough water with their chewable vitamin. Drinking lots of water helps it go away. One child vomits the chemical tasting flavored ibuprofen for kids. I need to find something unflavored for a nine year old.[/QUOTE

You are welcome.. but would suggest your age bracket given your description.. could very well be "Hormonal" triggered. Strongly recommend having your levels checked.. as often some natural natural replacements could mitigate these swings that trigger these headaches. I would also attempt to maybe sync-up the barometer/weather acute drops/or elevations that cycles make you more sensitive.

Interesting link that outlines headaches during "peri-menopausal" stage~~ Something you can ask you Physician about.. that's why I suggested getting your hormonal levels checked!

https://www.menopausenow.com/headach...stricts%20them.

Anecdotal~~ I could right a BOOK on this particular malady as peri-menopause started during my early to mid-forties!! Thank goodness, I was medically aware.. so could mitigate most of these episodes!!

Of course you should also seek advice from your paediatrician /General practitioner.. But some these links I provide enable you to get some insights and make notes particular for yours or you children's complaints.

This link outlines children with headache complaints.~~

https://www.carengrow.com/blog/7-cau...when-to-worry/

Again~~ Good wishes to you and your family!!

Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,550,885 times
When I was younger, aspirin worked great, Tylenol never, Motrin sometimes. Today for some reason Tylenol works but aspirin or Motrin don't. I guess it is an individual thing. Experiment.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:19 AM

Thank you all for so many great suggestions and links. Dr Weil is great.

Lyndarn, thanks again. I've been curious about progesterone cream. I've read when/how to apply it during my cycle. Is it sold OTC in the US? Is Wild Yam similar?
I take B complex, vit C, zinc and magnesium as they supposedly support/raise progesterone. I'm guessing its decline is the cause of my headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness