U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:03 AM

4,240 posts, read 805,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Considering that the study (according to that brief take-away anyway) didn't distinguish between subjects who were on statins from those who weren't, you can't make this assumption. You'd have to dig in to the details of the study design to tease this out. Yet another example of trying to support an existing bias by drawing the wrong conclusion from the wrong research.
I don't think the OP was trying to say that the study supported his/her opinion or that they were making an assumption.

My guess is that they were simply wondering if statins could have an effect and stated that they think it likely that they do. I hope they would agree that it is an exaggeration to say that every boomer they know who is on statins has experienced cognitive decline - we do have to be careful about that.

I've certainly done the same after hearing research cited. "I'll bet that it has also has to do with X."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 PM

18,343 posts, read 11,935,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I don't think the OP was trying to say that the study supported his/her opinion or that they were making an assumption.

My guess is that they were simply wondering if statins could have an effect and stated that they think it likely that they do. I hope they would agree that it is an exaggeration to say that every boomer they know who is on statins has experienced cognitive decline - we do have to be careful about that.

I've certainly done the same after hearing research cited. "I'll bet that it has also has to do with X."
Some other posters might have done that, but the OP has a very obvious agenda (backed up by comments on other threads as well as replies on this one) which is why I bothered to comment. People with cherished agendas are always searching for more ammunition. Even if it backfires.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-06-2020 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-07-2020, 02:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,031,703 times
Of course they're experiencing cognitive decline. The oldest ones are 73. That's kinda when memory loss starts to hit.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 AM

13,521 posts, read 10,167,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
They have been trying to sell that line for years that "social isolation" causes health issues. This is laughable. It is only recently that we had the opportunity to meeting a lot of people. Up until about 1950 if you had 2 or 3 friends that you wrote too (taking weeks) you considered yourself lucky.

There is no way it would have any effect on longevity.

But "social isolation" does hurt something... the economy. So they try to tell you that you will die if you don't go out to eat. Laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
No, I do not, and my sisters do not. Maybe, just maybe, your own cognitive dysfunction is messing with your view of other people? Just maybe... think about it. You are obviously quite set in your thought patterns, but maybe you can change them if you give it more thought and let new ideas settle into your brain for a while.

I don't either. And even on 20 mg/day simvastatin, I can say I operate on such a high functioning level now, that if I were to stop taking it, I'd be so smart and such a go-getter I'd scare myself, LOL.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:02 PM

9,094 posts, read 4,830,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
We all experience cognitive decline, starting around age 19 or so. We were not designed to live to 60 or above. Throughout most of human history until the last few centuries, most of us died by age 30.
We read that life expectancy was in the 30s, but that reflects a high infant mortality rate, and youthful deaths due to illness and accidents. People who died of natural causes were probably over 60.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 PM

11,525 posts, read 13,620,994 times
It could be a correlation not a cause and effect. Or, not. Only studies would tell.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM

9,048 posts, read 5,002,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Of course they're experiencing cognitive decline. The oldest ones are 73. That's kinda when memory loss starts to hit.
The oldest ones are apparently doing better than the younger ones, if you read the article.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:08 PM

15,054 posts, read 9,335,463 times
Boomers have higher rates of obesity and are far less active than previous generations. excess weight and lack of physical exercise negatively impact the brain! how and why excess fat and low physical fitness impact the brain is pretty obvious even to a layman like me.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 1,942,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0803092125.htm

IMHO, the answer is Statins. Every boomer I know on statins is suffering from memory loss and other cognitive issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-T...&pbjreload=101

Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 1,942,573 times
I could post these all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzTjPuikhQE&t=4s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness