Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 01:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times

Advertisements

I'm currently undergoing testing with a cardiologist, everything is moving slower then I'd like. I'm in my 30s and have been having palpitations which are premature ventricular contractions which were identified on my 24 hrs halter monitor. They also picked up a VTACH on it, which sent me to the hospital for 2 days.

I've since had an echo and am awaiting another 4 weeks for my cardiac MRI, because there are two genetic things they are looking at (which they saw a little on the echo by need the MRai to confirm.

Anyway.....I've been on beta blockers sinse to hopefully not go into vtach again and stop the palpitations. I still occasionally have palpitations (much less then before). Shouldn't the meds be stopping all palpitations or is it normal to still feel some on beta blockers?

I am otherwise healthy, no prior problems and I have low blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 03:52 PM

33 posts, read 31,997 times
I’m on 25mgs of metoprolol succinate and get occasional runs of skipped beats and palps. I’ve had skipped beats and palps for almost 40 yrs and had every cardiac test under the sun. I don’t get as a freaked out about them like I used to. I don’t think medication will totally eliminate them.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm currently undergoing testing with a cardiologist, everything is moving slower then I'd like. I'm in my 30s and have been having palpitations which are premature ventricular contractions which were identified on my 24 hrs halter monitor. They also picked up a VTACH on it, which sent me to the hospital for 2 days.

I've since had an echo and am awaiting another 4 weeks for my cardiac MRI, because there are two genetic things they are looking at (which they saw a little on the echo by need the MRai to confirm.

Anyway.....I've been on beta blockers sinse to hopefully not go into vtach again and stop the palpitations. I still occasionally have palpitations (much less then before). Shouldn't the meds be stopping all palpitations or is it normal to still feel some on beta blockers?

I am otherwise healthy, no prior problems and I have low blood pressure.
I had a mild heart attack (arterial thrombosis...no other heart disease, normal BP) last December and was put on a beta blocker and blood thinner. I've always had some supraventricular tachycardia (didn't know exactly what the skippy beats were before all this happened). It is still there, but no idea whether it declined or not. No one was particularly concerned about it before so there's no history to compare.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-10-2020 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 04:16 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times
Thanks! They are looking into left ventricular non-compaction for me because they thought they saw some trabeculations in the apex, doing MRI to confirm possible diagnosis. Either that of hypertropic cardiomyopathy.

I think mentally waiting is the worst part because they said having another run of vtach could cause sudden death. ☹️ So just making sure the beta blockers are doing their job.

@sarahb60 are you on the metoprolol due to the skipped beats etc? I am also on 25mg because I naturally have a low BP already. Do you find sleeping while on it is difficult? I have a hard time sleeping even though I'm exhausted

Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Thanks! They are looking into left ventricular non-compaction for me because they thought they saw some trabeculations in the apex, doing MRI to confirm possible diagnosis. Either that of hypertropic cardiomyopathy.

I think mentally waiting is the worst part because they said having another run of vtach could cause sudden death. ☹️ So just making sure the beta blockers are doing their job.

@sarahb60 are you on the metoprolol due to the skipped beats etc? I am also on 25mg because I naturally have a low BP already. Do you find sleeping while on it is difficult? I have a hard time sleeping even though I'm exhausted
Consider that your trouble sleeping could be due to anxiety. Understandable!

Old 08-10-2020, 06:45 PM

33 posts, read 31,997 times
Quote:

No I’m taking it because of hypertension. It also helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety (e.g. sweating palms, pounding heart, basically the result of adrenaline dumps). I never had issues sleeping with this med only strange dreams in the beginning.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 PM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:

I can imagine, anyone would be stressed under those conditions.

With that information, and having to wait a while till it's either confirmed or ruled out, did they give you instructions in the event you have more palpitations, other than maybe just a breakthrough of the palps periodically?

I've taken metoprolol for many years now- ranging from 50 mg/day to 150 mg/day to control atrial tachycardia, and while this med has helped immensely to control the tachy (which, BTW, is more or less a nothingburger compared with a sustained ventricular tachycardia, especially with a possible cardiomyopathy of some type.), but I have always gotten some breakthroughs of the tachcardia even with the higher dose-less at the higher doses.

You may need more of the metoprolol to control your PCPs/tachy, but that would no doubt lower your blood pressure even more, so they probably don't want to give you more.

In your boat I'd seek the advice of your cardiologist in the event you have more palpitations. I'd think if he/she really thought you were at a high risk of dying suddenly of a ventricular tachycardia/v-fib, you would have had the testing scheduled as soon as possible, or the cardiologist would have recommended you have an intracardiac defibribrillator (ICD) implanted. Was it your cardiologist who told you of your risk of death with a run of ventricular tachy, or was it someone else? (including Dr. Google) That can happen, but your cardiologist wouldn't leave you hanging like that if your own risk was that high. That might do at least a little bit to allay your anxiety, though for sure anyone would be anxious under the circumstances.

So keep in touch with the docs, in any case, ask any questions you may have, and if those palps get bad, go to the ER.

Hopefully your tests will show results that don't paint such a bad picture.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,941 times
I have been on metoprolol succintc er 50mg since triple by pass in 2010 with no problems,age 87
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness