Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 08:36 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Suzy- does your son participate in the St. Jude Long Term Survivor Study? I think theirs is the comprehensive leader in that regard. They might actually be the institution that coordinates it nationally. My husband is also a childhood cancer survivor (treated for T cell leukemia in the 1970s when the survival rate was only around 50%). Whenever we get one of those LTS packets, I really try to encourage him to complete it and remind him of its importance. His experience as a child was one of the reasons he went into medicine.
My son was treated in Atlanta. I know he is participating in a long term study, but I do not know whether it is local to Emory or affiliated with St. Jude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Your figures are wrong. I don't know where you got those numbers, but examination of the IRS records shows that nearly 70% of every dollar from ALSAC goes to St. Jude's. The remainder goes to salaries and expenses. These numbers are reasonable, and far better than a certain other 'charity' organization based in Boston where my investigation exposed that a mere 5% of their donations actually went to charity, and the rest was consumed in salaries and 'expenses' (lavish parties and junkets).

The people who raise so much money for St. Jude's and their treatment of children at no expense to the families deserve to be paid a reasonable wage for their efforts, and the amounts that they are paid are quite reasonable for what they do.

What is your *real* problem with this organization? The fact that 'Lebanese' and 'Syrian' are in the title?

The parents of Danny Thomas (birth name Muzyad Yakhoob) were Lebanese immigrants. There is no surprise here...and there is no indication of any support for terrorist organizations. Don't look now, but I think you are showing something ugly, and none of us want to see it. These organizations do a great deal of good, and your denigration serves only to detract from yourself.

The distraction you are attempting to perpetrate goes far from your original premise- that there is no cure for cancer. The fact is, that there *are* cures and they are being freely provided to those who are most in need of them and have no ability to pay for them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Shame isn't an argument. It's an emotion.

My initial statement was that cancer is a billion dollar business. To which a poster replied: BUT BUT BUT ST JUDE!!!!!!! BUT BUT BUT FREE!!!!!!!

I responded, proving St Jude and it's partner organization ALSAC rake in a ton of money --$46 of every donation goes to ST JUDE not ALSAC -- you just moved a goalpost -- $46 goes to the hospital. The rest goes to ALSAC.

Cancer care is VERY WELL funded at St Jude.

Don't want to talk about St Jude? Don't bring it up. /shrug/ And not sure why you are also yelling racism. That's the most idiotic response I've ever seen on CD. Shame and racism as a "response" good flipping grief.

Logical post: here are some facts
Idiotic response: SHAME!!!! RACISM!!!!

Take that garbage over to POC.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:01 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Cancer is a huge business and many in the chain benefit financially. The work they do trickles down and benefits everyone, ultimately (and most importantly) the patients. I do not find these two realities to be at odds. They are not mutually exclusive.

My first two professional healthcare jobs were in oncology. The first was working in Admin at the largest pediatric cancer center in the world, the second at a for profit, publicly traded company that owns oncology practices throughout the nation. The culture at each of these organizations was very different. They were opposite sides of the same coin- one more altruistic and patient and research centered; the other corporate and very much concerned with profit. But, again, I think those differences are fine as long as the end goal is the same- treating people with cancer and improving their odds of survival.

And with regards to the St. Jude/ALSAC issue, when newtovenice brought that up, I think it was solely to point out the financial aspect. I don't think there was any inference of use of funds for terrorism, arab american causes or anything else. Danny Thomas was the founder of St. Jude, and he has a Lebanese background. I thought that was well known by most people, maybe not. In any event, Thomas made St. Jude his life's works, something that's continued with his daughter Marlo, who essentially gave up her acting career to focus on it.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Cancer is a huge business and many in the chain benefit financially. The work they do trickles down and benefits everyone, ultimately (and most importantly) the patients. I do not find these two realities to be at odds. They are not mutually exclusive.

My first two professional healthcare jobs were in oncology. The first was working in Admin at the largest pediatric cancer center in the world, the second at a for profit, publicly traded company that owns oncology practices throughout the nation. The culture at each of these organizations was very different. They were opposite sides of the same coin- one more altruistic and patient and research centered; the other corporate and very much concerned with profit. But, again, I think those differences are fine as long as the end goal is the same- treating people with cancer and improving their odds of survival.

And with regards to the St. Jude/ALSAC issue, when newtovenice brought that up, I think it was solely to point out the financial aspect. I don't think there was any inference of use of funds for terrorism, arab american causes or anything else. Danny Thomas was the founder of St. Jude, and he has a Lebanese background. I thought that was well known by most people, maybe not. In any event, Thomas made St. Jude his life's works, something that's continued with his daughter Marlo, who essentially gave up her acting career to focus on it.
Yes, and a lot of people who are involved in shady dealings with cancer research have been ousted in recent scandals. My dad spent most of his career at a large non-profit cancer center and the head had to step down as he was involved in that Chinese funding scandal. Still, when he started, he headed up the local leukemia society for a few years and now the cure rate for that is extremely high. He subsequently moved into treating mostly adults. He never made that much money because he preferred to see fewer patients and give each patient more time. Obviously some people did, as they were involved in the China scandal, but that certainly isn’t the case for all the people working in these facilities. Many really do want to help the patients there get better.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:19 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
When I think of our world and the amazing advances we've been able to make, I always feel some fields are ahead of others.

For example, personal technology is just amazing. I have a phone in my pocket that I bought for less than $200 and within it I have access to an encyclopedic knowledge of anything in the world, and all I have to do is use my fingers to push portions of the screen.

While driving in my car and listening to the radio, all I have to do is push a button and my phone can figure out the song. If the advances within my lifetime are any indicator, personal tech will just continue to evolve at light speed.

But yet ... we cannot figure out a cure for cancer. We have been terrible at being prepared for, containing, and now fighting to solve COVID. We can't even figure out anything decent for helping someone who has to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

How is that health and medicine are so far behind on actually solving problems like tech does?

Would more manpower help and is it hampered by the space and resource restrictions on research? Limiting the amount of people who can get pHds and MDs?

If we had everybody that was unemployed right now working to help solve COVID, would that make a difference? Can't we at least produce a practical mask that stops the transmission that people can use? I mean we have ALL this manpower sitting around...
For starters there isn't one kind of cancer and people have varying genetics.

Tell you what, I want you to make an app for a computer that does everything an iphone does. Oh? What kind of computer? What operating system? Available storage space, RAM, video capabilities?

All of them. Anything made in the last 30 years oh and forward compatible too.

Come on, how hard can it be to make that?

Old 08-21-2020, 04:51 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Shame isn't an argument. It's an emotion.

My initial statement was that cancer is a billion dollar business. To which a poster replied: BUT BUT BUT ST JUDE!!!!!!! BUT BUT BUT FREE!!!!!!!

I responded, proving St Jude and it's partner organization ALSAC rake in a ton of money --$46 of every donation goes to ST JUDE not ALSAC -- you just moved a goalpost -- $46 goes to the hospital. The rest goes to ALSAC.

Cancer care is VERY WELL funded at St Jude.

Don't want to talk about St Jude? Don't bring it up. /shrug/ And not sure why you are also yelling racism. That's the most idiotic response I've ever seen on CD. Shame and racism as a "response" good flipping grief.

Logical post: here are some facts
Idiotic response: SHAME!!!! RACISM!!!!

Take that garbage over to POC.
Ah, you got nothin'.

Here is your original statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There will never be a publicly offered cure for cancer.

There is way too much money involved in treatments.
The industry itself would never allow it. Billions in profit POOF gone.
You said that "there will never be a publicly offered cure for cancer", since there is too much money being made treating it.

These are *your* words.

And we have proven you 100%, unequivocally wrong.

It is *you* who is 'moving the goalpost', and you are hoist on your own petard.

There *are* publicly offered cures, and what's more, they are offered for *free*.

Your postings show that you are willing to engage in deceit, and that your word is not to be trusted. I cannot imagine why any reasonably intelligent, rational individual would engage such duplicitousness when it is so easy to go back and check the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness