Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 10:13 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,413,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
melanie
Thanks for the suggestion to try TENS. I had not looked into it. I just now googled it and found that you can rent them somewhere so she can try it out before she invests in one.
thanks kitty61
I believe you can buy a TENS unit on Ebay these days. I used one for 4 yrs getting me thru Nursing school. They were very pricy back then but my HC Insurance paid for it & the sticky pads. They are more for pain in specific areas, like mine was for my neck and trapezius muscles. Sure got me thru clinicals of lifting and pushing people & equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 07:37 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You and I are on the same page. I think fibro is probably something to do with amino acids. Maybe other deficiencies too but I know that for me, at least, it's amino acids. I take vitamin D so it's not that. Diet is very important and correcting any deficiencies too.

The trigger foods are what I usually refer to as the food allergies. I never even knew I had food allergies--I thought those were things other people had but not me! Food allergies can make you tired and weak.

Maybe at this woman's age and in her frail condition about all that can be hoped for is pain medication and an improved diet. I don't think doctors do much for amino acid deficiencies and anyway, I had mine tested and they were fine. So it must be that some of us cannot convert the amino acids into the needed proteins. But can doctors figure that out?
She should definitely start with the rheumatologist. Some people with fibromyalgia also see physical medicine and rehabilitation, but that might not be effective for someone who is elderly and frail.

As to the other poster who talked about TENS- they are very cheap now and are available on Amazon for under $50. I got one and it works fine, although I rarely use it. I use trigger point massage balls and love them, but for someone like this woman, the TENS could be a great option along with the heating pad or a cooling pad.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 10,963,638 times
Tried celebrex?

Old 08-24-2020, 06:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
OP: I was told in 1999 at age 61 that I had Fibro. So now at 82 I manage.

I believe there is a connection between HypoT and Fibro...Does your friend support her thyorid?

Last night I woke about 3AM or so and had back and leg pain and not the normal OA pain so I took an Inositol capsule to relax my body, took a white willow bark and 1/2 tablet of Calms Forte had on my nightstand....I got back to sleep and my body relaxed and pain subsided.

I take a lot for the overall bodypain, Fibro and Arthritis but NOT the hard drugs, no way.

I could tell you everything I take but I don't believe your friend will change what she does.

Some people on another group talk about their 45 yrs of Fibro.

Again I wonder if all these people have thyroid supported properly.

And I have a Tens unit that has done nothing...I'll give it to you.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:28 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Tried celebrex?

Thanks for your suggestion.

No she has not tried Celebrex. I just looked it up after seeing your post and it seems it might be worth a try BUT (and then there always seems to be a But) she would have to see her lame excuse for a doctor to get a prescription. And seems to me if her doctor was paying attention she would already have prescribed it I am going to call my pharmacist today to find out what he can contribute to this.

She was prescribed Lyrica by a geriatric doctor. I think it might be a good thing to go back to see him.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I was told in 1999 at age 61 that I had Fibro. So now at 82 I manage.

I believe there is a connection between HypoT and Fibro...Does your friend support her thyorid?

Last night I woke about 3AM or so and had back and leg pain and not the normal OA pain so I took an Inositol capsule to relax my body, took a white willow bark and 1/2 tablet of Calms Forte had on my nightstand....I got back to sleep and my body relaxed and pain subsided.

I take a lot for the overall bodypain, Fibro and Arthritis but NOT the hard drugs, no way.

I could tell you everything I take but I don't believe your friend will change what she does.

Some people on another group talk about their 45 yrs of Fibro.

Again I wonder if all these people have thyroid supported properly.

And I have a Tens unit that has done nothing...I'll give it to you.

Hi jamin,

I am glad you have some relief in what you do for your illness.
Inotsitol, Willow Bark, and Calms Forte. Something to think about for my friend.

About my friend's hyperthyroid. She has been taking Synthroid for years. But she is lost a lot of weight (she is down to about girls size 10-12 but is currently wearing women's size 0 that are just a bit to big for her). I think her prescription should be updated to a lower dose and if it is safe for her to possibly discontinue taking it. Her shoulder bones stick out of her shirts! She is barely 5 foot tall, walks stooped, but she has a good appetite and eats 3 meals a day albeit only about 1/2 portion served in our dining room. Her mind is sharp.

Thanks for your suggestions. Wishing you the best.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
She should definitely start with the rheumatologist. Some people with fibromyalgia also see physical medicine and rehabilitation, but that might not be effective for someone who is elderly and frail.

As to the other poster who talked about TENS- they are very cheap now and are available on Amazon for under $50. I got one and it works fine, although I rarely use it. I use trigger point massage balls and love them, but for someone like this woman, the TENS could be a great option along with the heating pad or a cooling pad.
I mentioned a rhuematologist and she seemed okay with that. same with the TENS. I will look into the massage balls.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Does your 85 yr old friend want to try CBD patches? I'm 67 and though I do not suffer from Fibromyalgia I do live with chronic pain and need a 10-level spinal fusion which will NEVER happen as I have severe Osteoporosis from 28 yrs of weightloss surgery. My sciatica was so awful and constant I could not stand at my kitchen sink and wash out a few dishes without being in excruciating pain. My life the past year was one of going from the bed to the sofa, maybe a weekly trip to the grocery store and back to the bed or sofa. I kept seeing ads for CBD pain patches and didn't believe they would ever work for nerve pain but I also am a RN and know if I don't USE it I'm gonna LOSE it, so I tried the CBD patches. They are waterproof and stay on well. I am still shocked & awed to say that work VERY WELL for me and I now get them in a 5-pack every month for $64. It is worth every cent to have my life back. After my first 24 hours wearing the patch I went out and, using a chair for the lower parts, washed my pick up truck that I had not washed in a year. It took me 2 days, or about 6 hrs, but I DID it and I have not looked back since. My son even came to me and asked WHAT had happened to me? I can garden again, and I am working at being able to walk my usual 10,000 steps a day again soon. Right now I don't push it but in 1000 step increments but I am a believer in CBD now. The ones I use last 96 hours but I wear them 7-8 days til my back starts hurting more than not again. I cannot say IF they would work for your friend or not but I will never be without them.

Thanks very much for your reply.

So happy to hear you have releif and dramatically so.

I think she will try the CBD patches. To me the CBD patches are totally safe and maybe amino acids are just as safe but I hesitate to try the amino until I found out if it is safe to do so in her particular case. I don't know as much about the amino as I do about cannabis products ().

Old 08-25-2020, 04:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Hi jamin,

I am glad you have some relief in what you do for your illness.
Inotsitol, Willow Bark, and Calms Forte. Something to think about for my friend.

About my friend's hyperthyroid. She has been taking Synthroid for years. But she is lost a lot of weight (she is down to about girls size 10-12 but is currently wearing women's size 0 that are just a bit to big for her). I think her prescription should be updated to a lower dose and if it is safe for her to possibly discontinue taking it. Her shoulder bones stick out of her shirts! She is barely 5 foot tall, walks stooped, but she has a good appetite and eats 3 meals a day albeit only about 1/2 portion served in our dining room. Her mind is sharp.

Thanks for your suggestions. Wishing you the best.
I am talking HypoT and not HyperT, but sounds like your friend may have gone HyperT with all the weight loss. So she may have needed an adjustment long ago on the thyroid med..Personally I've never used Synthroid but it's the big push pharma thyroid med that docs prescribe to patients.

Good to hear she eats well.

I've gone to integrative MD's for years as allopathic MD's left me cold and damaged.

Wish I could help more, and also could be all t he pharma meds and their interactions may have caused some havoc in her body... Aging people do need advocates to help them and it's good of you to try to help...

Old 08-25-2020, 04:31 PM

26,633 posts, read 28,419,191 times
The TENS machine did nothing for my fibromyalgia.

I've been looking at amino acids again. Proline, Lysine, and a few others are mentioned a lot. I used to take Knox unflavored gelatin for amino acids and fibro pain (you have to mix it with water first but then you can just dump it into your coffee or tea.) Also bone broth contains the amino acids that are talked about the most for fibro.

Today I went to a local Smoothie shop and mentioned it to them because the owner is an RN. She said, yes, it's probably something to do with amino acids. I don't know if your friend wants to go this route but just putting this out as general information for anyone. Proline, Leucine, and Lycine are mentioned most often but also Carnitine and Histadine--all taken one hour away from a protein food and taken with vitamin C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness