Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 01:49 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
I'm getting close to 40 and I still love a good buzz. But now I feel the negative effects of alcohol after 2 drinks and it sucks! If I have two drinks I won't be super hung over, but I can tell in the morning. Like there will just be some pressure in my head. Can anyone relate?

I also want to note that I significantly cut back on alcohol intake the past few years. I used to drink way too much every night but wasn't really aware it was a problem. A lot of little health issues disappeared after I cut back.
Did you ever try drinking water or some other liquid while and after drinking alcohol? Gatorade after drinking and before going to bed actually works the best for me. I've always had a problem where even one beer will give me a headache, and I can notice the headache coming on before I even finish the beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 03:25 PM

208 posts, read 99,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you ever try drinking water or some other liquid while and after drinking alcohol? Gatorade after drinking and before going to bed actually works the best for me. I've always had a problem where even one beer will give me a headache, and I can notice the headache coming on before I even finish the beer.
Yes. But then I have to wake up all night to pee.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:32 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
But that's better than a headache the next day. When you get a little older, your prostate will get enlarged and you'll be getting up several times a night to pee anyway.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:58 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Is it simply wine, or is it other alcoholic drinks? Could be something in the wine, if it’s simply wine. I have a friend who cannot drink white wine but can drink red.

My sister and I have the same sort of metabolism. Alcohol of any kind goes straight to our heads and we’re both tipsy at half a glass. And the next day we don’t feel good. I will have a very rare glass of champagne, sip very slowly and be OK with a nice meal. And I mean rarely, like once every six months. She stop drinking entirely.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:00 PM

651 posts, read 415,632 times
Two glasses are too much.
One glass of 10-12% wine without snack is the best. That's about equal to a bottle of beer.
You have to know your dose and don't drink more alcohol.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this is a good thing, not a bad I would think. The fact you cut back is great, the fact that, after 2 drinks you feel a bit yucky isn't bad, it simply means you should keep it down to 2 or less drinks. Of course if you are talking wine, maybe it is the brand or type you are drinking. Sulfites (spelling) can cause problems for many.
That is a myth. Sulfites only cause problems for people that are allergic to them which is a very small percentage. You will find more sulfites in prepackaged salad greens, dried fruits, French fries, etc...
Histamines cause more problems for more people. Red wine has a lot of histamines. White wine not so much.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,396,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
But that's better than a headache the next day. When you get a little older, your prostate will get enlarged and you'll be getting up several times a night to pee anyway.
*DING!* *DING!* *DING!*

Getting up to pee will happen anyway, and at 40 I'm surprised it isn't already a thing. So, when you're drinking, include plenty of water or gatorade.

On a more serious note, I'm a bit more concerned that you need a buzz nearly every night. A few times a month should be sufficient. If the buzz is to help you sleep, consider alternatives.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is a myth. Sulfites only cause problems for people that are allergic to them which is a very small percentage. You will find more sulfites in prepackaged salad greens, dried fruits, French fries, etc...
Histamines cause more problems for more people. Red wine has a lot of histamines. White wine not so much.

good info and I always listen to someone in the wine country.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:04 AM

14,925 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Seems to me a good fix for this would be to drink just one glass of wine.

You don't need the buzz.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:51 AM

10,543 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Did it prevent the head pain? Drinking water is one good suggestion.

Cutting back on consumption is another. Eventually, once tolerance drops down, the occasional one glass of wine will give you the desired buzz.

As someone who almost never drinks, one big gulp of wine or beer delivers a buzz. Two complete glasses and I'd be incapacitated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness