Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't think you understand what "smells" are...

If you "smell" something you are inhaling particulate matter...in the case of burning marijuana you are inhaling many of the same cancer causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke.
Great point.

I'd rather "smell" cannabis from an upstairs roommate than a cat's litter box in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 05:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Read my post above.

Re: radon-- Have you ever noticed there are no Radon mines?

Radon exists only as a gas and only temporarily as an intermediary in the decay chain of Uranium --> Pb.
If you have radon in your basement, then you have Uranium in the soil/rock surrounding your basement....Radon decays only by alpha particles, easily stopped by a sheet of paper, whereas Uranium emits alpha, beta and GAMMA rays, which can penetrate anything less than 3 ft of concrete. Basement walls are usually 9 - 12 inches thick

The lobbyists have convinced regulators that basements need to be ventilated if Radon is detected-- cheap & easy to do and commanding a large, but manageable price for the homeowner....But if there really is a problem (data is pretty flimsy concerning increased Ca risks), then shouldn't it be the U that we want to get rid of?---But the cost of excavating an entire city lot and disposing of the material and then back filling with clean dirt would be prohibitive-- too outlandish a plan to bribe the crooked pols.
This radon toss off is way off topic but to correct a couple of points...

There is no IF uranium or decay products are found in the soil/rock surrounding your basement

Uranium is ubiquitous and found in ALL soils in the US so there is no "clean" soil one could find to "back fill" after removing the "contaminated soil"

It's ALL contaminated...but there are various factors regarding the surrounding soils, rocks, construction of the home etc that will cause huge variations in the amount of radon gas detected within the home...

Second point, the data isn't flimsy regarding the relative risks of cancer for smokers and non smokers exposed to radon gas at varying levels..the data is as solid as it gets for any exposure related cancer

The data surrounding efficacy of HCQ in COVID is flimsy at best....the data supporting risks of radon not so much

Old 08-31-2020, 07:50 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Second point, the data isn't flimsy regarding the relative risks of cancer for smokers and non smokers exposed to radon gas at varying levels..the data is as solid as it gets for any exposure related cancer
Don't kid yourself.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2764546/
Lung ca incidence in never-smokers averaged from 6 major studies ~7/1000--same as incidence in non-smokers with "radon exposure."

https://cheec.uiowa.edu/research/res...-control-study This study found odds ratio 1.5 for high radon exposure, while a the same time found odds ratio of 3.0 for "higher red meat consumption"-- just to put things in perspective for you.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
My roommate smokes cannabis daily. He lives in an upstairs portion of the house so it's not in the same room or anything, but the smell permeates the entire house while he's doing it for a few hours every evening. I don't mind the smell, but someone was telling me that cannabis second-hand smoke can have health consequences. This is baffling to me. I figured cigarette second-hand smoke was bad, but cannabis? We've lived together for more than a year but after learning this, it makes me wonder if I should eventually be living somewhere more smoke-free. I smell it pretty much every night and it can be fairly strong even though it's in a different room. Just wondering if anyone else knows of these health repercussions or may have experienced them? Or is the whole thing overblown?

I can't think of any kinds of smoke that are harmless to breathe, although any risk from him smoking upstairs is probably minimal. Nevertheless non-smokers should be able to live in a smoke-free environment. Your roommate should smoke outside if you are concerned about it.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...just curious blue...what are "the same cancer causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke" that are found in cannabis smoke?...
I'd like to know that too!!

Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
There is one other issue other than the smell of second hand smoke - fire. Like the case of drinkers and smokers where somebody falls asleep drunk with the burning cigarette in their hand. The same thing can happen to a pot smoker that is simply trying to relax. Some also drink while smoking pot. I just don't think one can be oblivious to all the dangers posed by a little 'harmless' little weed. If you share a building there is reason to be concerned. When 'relaxing' people can also forget to turn off a stove. I do not see any studies that factor in all the pitfalls. We are still buying into this wonderful new freedom. There is no need to question and turn back the hands of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness