Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:30 AM

27 posts, read 8,228 times

Advertisements

I’ve been seeing random bites pop up mostly in the morning and also night and noon which I thought might be bedbugs, but there are several components that doesn’t seem to point in that direction:

1. Bites are not in a cluster. They occur singularly and randomly all over and are small and hard like pimples and go away after a few days, whereas bedbug bites are large welts with me (I’ve had them from over a year ago fall of 2018). In fact they are almost barely noticeable.

2. Bites are mostly on unexposed skin tucked under the covers while my face, arms and neck are exposed. Namely, legs and waist. Of course any bug might crawl under the cover but from what I understand bedbugs tend to prefer exposed skin first whereas I haven’t had any.

3. I have not travelled extensively or had many friends stay at my home in a short period. Bedbugs seem to transfer through luggage unlike mites and fleas which can transfer through rodents, gnats which are always there due to indoor plants, or black ants which I’ve been seeing crawling around the house. I also never had bedbugs in my current home and the last infested place I’ve been has been more than 20 months. Therefore there is no clear source of bedbugs, while there are a bunch of alternatives.

Sidenote: I tend to take walks at night and go hiking and don’t really guard myself against mosquitoes which might explain the bites if I have some sort of delayed reaction. For some reason my instinct tells me it’s not mosquito bites...I could be wrong though.

What do you guys think? Is this a pest or mosquitoes or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
It doesn't sound like bedbugs to me, though my experience has been thankfully limited to one exposure.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Sounds like Chiggers...
Chigger bites are itchy red bumps that can look like pimples, blisters, or small hives. They are usually found around the waist, ankles, or in warm skin folds. They get bigger and itchier over several days, and often appear in groups.
google chiggers.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:30 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Do you have any pets, cats/dogs that sleep in bed with you? Fleas can mitigate from one warm body to another.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Do you have any pets, cats/dogs that sleep in bed with you? Fleas can mitigate from one warm body to another.
Thanks, no I’ve never had any pets nor have I lived with anyone with pets. Although, occasionally a few stray cats / raccoons / squirrels / birds tend to pop up around the house.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Sounds like Chiggers...
Chigger bites are itchy red bumps that can look like pimples, blisters, or small hives. They are usually found around the waist, ankles, or in warm skin folds. They get bigger and itchier over several days, and often appear in groups.
google chiggers.
Thanks, I’ve never had chiggers before...how do they tend to come in? And are they very noticeable? I have some indoor plants I don’t know if they can house gnats or some other biting bug

EDIT: And if Chigger bites are always in groups, unfortunately I’ve just had singular bites...No groups.

Last edited by Terrentia; 08-31-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It doesn't sound like bedbugs to me, though my experience has been thankfully limited to one exposure.
Yay...? Yes they are the worst! I’m hoping they’re not gonna make a comeback after more than a year (doesn’t sound like anyone had this terrifying experience)

Old 08-31-2020, 03:45 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Check your mattress at the head board and see if there are any dark patches or speckles. And check along the seams of your mattress for the same. If there is nothing showing then you can be more certain there are no bedbugs.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Bedbugs almost always leave very dark-red/rust-colored splotches on your sheets........much easier to see if you have very clean, white sheets.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Sounds like Chiggers...
google chiggers.
Interesting, it doesn't sound like chiggers either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness