Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No one has ever said anything to me about being sick or having physical problems in childhood, and I didnt have any problems with these when i was 12 -13, so Im assuming I didnt, and I think I would remember if I had been sick or had some other serious physical problem doctors were watching back then...that would definitely imprint on my memory.
You're a little younger then me, I'm 55. I agree that you'd remember. My memory sucks with a lot of things but medical and doctors I do remember.

I remember making a sea saw at my dad' gas station using wood and a huge rock from the mountain. My sibling let go, I went flying, I remember having a fuzzy hooded jacket where I put my hood on. They took me to our GP who put some cup thing on my head but didn't stitch the hole. My hood was all bloody. I landed on a point rock apparently. My dad got the station in 67, I had to be about 4 years old when it happened.

At about 5 I had issues with my legs, GP said growing pains. I asked why my siblings didn't have them. He said it was because I was tall. I never bought that BS. My legs used to go out from under me while walking up concrete steps we had. I also remember how painful that was. Now that I'm an adult, I know I had a tethered spinal cord. I have a connective tissue disorder that I passed on to my daughter and grandson. So far my son dodged that bullet. They also have Chiari Malformation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Sometimes when children experience repeated painful medical treatments their memories can (notice that I said "can") become blocked. When I was born I had a severe cleft lip. Although I had surgery at eleven months that fixed the lip fissure, my teeth grew in very weirdly. Some had multiple adult teeth in the same place (which had to be removed), and in one place I still have a baby tooth at age 70. My two front teeth grew in the middle of the roof of my mouth. My Mom told me many years ago that the family dentist had a wire fixed around them that was attached to teeth on each side, and each time I would bite down or chew, it would pull them forward a tiny bit. The process was, according to her, slow and painful and took most of my ninth year. She said I cried almost every time I ate, and I have never remembered one bit of it. I can remember earlier years and events, but nothing from that particular year.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:36 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Hmm, what a peculiar situation indeed & the fact that your father would hide it from you. What does your mom &/or sister about it? Any other family members know anything?

Do you have any kind of condition NOW that probably started back at that time?

Are you sure the condition was happening to YOU & you weren't just coming along w/ the rest of the family for something for your mother, father, sister?

Yes, I guess try to call the hospitals & obtain the records.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:11 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Ive had people tell me its odd that I have hardly NO childhood memories, the first memory that I have is around maybe 7-8 yrs old, but its vague and random, like I can remember one or two incidents and then months or even a year until the next memory.
I don't think that is uncommon. People THINK they have memories when young because hearing the same stories and seeing photographs. Until our vocabulary is strong, not sure there are strong memories.

And--memories can be quite inaccurate.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:32 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
It could be something that wasn't really a big deal but to you at the time was traumatic.

Example: going to get scheduled vaccines. Maybe you freaked out and they were unable to get you to sit still long enough for the shot, so you had to go back a few times to get them.

Another possibility of why your dad couldn't talk to you about it then: he was busy. That happens sometimes. Have you asked him since then?

Another possibility: they had reason to believe you or your sister had an illness that concerned them, you went in for tests, and it turned out to be absolutely nothing at all. So there's nothing, really, for you to remember other than actually going. And since most people don't remember every single car trip they've taken their entire lives, you just don't remember it.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:22 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think that is uncommon. People THINK they have memories when young because hearing the same stories and seeing photographs. Until our vocabulary is strong, not sure there are strong memories.

And--memories can be quite inaccurate.
I have very vivid memories from age 3 forward. I have memories of things that no one else in my family even witnessed (things that happened while at the babysitter's house), so I know it's not from hearing others' tales. I can remember specific articles of clothing that I wore from age 4 to 6, even ones that aren't in any photos. The memories are few and far between from those years, but are distinct and some are verifiable. I remember a particular trip to the doctor from age 4, and dentist visits from age 5 or so when I got my retainer. Everyone's different, and the mind/memory is a very curious thing.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Hmm, what a peculiar situation indeed & the fact that your father would hide it from you. What does your mom &/or sister about it? Any other family members know anything?

Do you have any kind of condition NOW that probably started back at that time?

Are you sure the condition was happening to YOU & you weren't just coming along w/ the rest of the family for something for your mother, father, sister?

Yes, I guess try to call the hospitals & obtain the records.
My mom died when I was 14, and my sister was slightly younger than I was, she only remembers going there and playing on the indoor playground set up, according to her, it was always me that went into be seen by doctor, and our parents would wait with her.

No 'conditions' that Im aware of, I went to public school in 8th grade, so I must have had the required vaccinations. I also raced BMX for about 4 years, starting age 12, that is pretty physical sport, If i had some type of condition, I doubt they would have let me race.

Its all speculation at this point.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:23 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
My mom died when I was 14, and my sister was slightly younger than I was, she only remembers going there and playing on the indoor playground set up, according to her, it was always me that went into be seen by doctor, and our parents would wait with her.
That sounds like you were doing counseling of some sort. I'd think if a real medical issue one parent would go in with you

Old 09-05-2020, 09:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That sounds like you were doing counseling of some sort. I'd think if a real medical issue one parent would go in with you
Counseling at that age?

Old 09-05-2020, 09:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Counseling at that age?
While, it isn't common, it is not unusual for a 9 to 10 year old to need counseling. When I was a special education teacher (over the years) I had numerous students who were in weekly counseling even as 4 or 5 year olds. Since it is often difficult to find good therapists for younger school age children, it is not unusual to travel to a different city for counseling (sometimes even a long distance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness