Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 04:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Let me preface this by saying I work in healthcare and work with A LOT of nurses, most of which are intelligent and capable.

Even still I find myself working with some that are stupid beyond words. I’ve read about nursing programs before and they tend to be rigorous so I’d expect a basic level of competency. Yet, I’ve worked with nurses that don’t know how many ounces are in a cup, get basic first aid procedures wrong, and get clients routinely mixed up. I’ve had to report it to supervisors at my company, but given how short staffed we’ve been at times they have a warm body and a degree policy. As long as you have a warm body and degree you’re in.

Most of the nurses I work with are older so I’m hoping it is just that nursing programs were less strict in the past and some bad ones just slipped through the cracks. I’m really hoping that’s the case as some are unsafe and they last until retirement age.

I’m asking this question sincerely as I’m just genuinely baffled and frustrated.
Hey in a graduating class of 300 people they don’t all have A+ GPA and graduate at number one. Someone is number three hundred with a C average. It’s like any other profession they can’t all be winners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 05:03 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,769 times
Nursing is not a particularly lucrative profession when you consider the amount of work and responsibility required of the average nurse, particularly hospital nursing. Often there is little time for lunch or breaks, and you are lucky if you get a chance to use the bathroom. Young nurses are particularly exploited in this way. Many people leave the field.

I will say it again; nursing units are usually terribly understaffed, and the stress is highly significant. Tremendous responsibility and very little control over working conditions. And then there are the injuries they incur from moving immobile patients with insufficient assistance. And patients have gotten so much bigger than they used to be! Hospitals will deny responsibility for injuries incurred, once one ages.

Nurses deserve our support. Hospitals need to staff units adequately.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:35 PM

200 posts, read 174,905 times
I'm an RN and don't remember off the top of my head how many ounces are in a cup, or any other conversions. But I haven't given liquid medications in years, or any medications that require doing math (that's what pharmacists are for! All the good hospitals make them do the math). Knowledge is use it or lose it. It doesn't make one an idiot if you've forgotten.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Hospitals are businesses so they are all for maximizing their bottom line, which is why they bring in so many foreigners to work as D.O. (aka O.D.) and nurses with poor communication skills resulting in more "mistakes". There is at least one hospital system in the Bay Area with so few qualified employees that it is dangerous for the average patient.

So, how can some nurses be so stupid, it has to do with the lowering of education standards over the past few decades and lower hiring requirements. Telemed, Dialing for Dollars, will only increase the issues as now we have no idea who is calling and the system is already riddled with fraud.

There are fewer and fewer really good medical professionals today so I really cherish them when they can be found. If you want good health care you must insist on it.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:57 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Holy cow. I do hope that you are not a nurse.

An 'ounce' can be a measure of volume, weight or force. Not all ounces are the same. A standard avoirdupois ounce is equal to 28.35 grams, while a troy ounce is equal to 31.10 grams. These are measures of weight.

A liquid ounce is completely different, it is a measure of volume. There are 8 ounces in a cup, 16 ounces in a pint...yada yada...up to 128 ounces in a gallon...a 'standard' gallon, that is, not an Imperial gallon.

How do you not know this? Do you not have any measuring cups in your cupboard?
Heavy whipping cream is a liquid. There are 8.15 ounces to a cup of heavy whipping cream. A cup of raw egg whites weighs approximately 8.5 ounces.

How do you not know this? Is it because you're stupid, or is it because you just didn't bother to look it up? I didn't know this until I saw this thread. But at least I took the time to check.

EDITED TO NOTE: I'm not suggesting that you're stupid. I'm suggesting that you treating someone else like they're stupid, with regards something you clearly are wrong about - is not nice.

Last edited by Ghaati; 09-06-2020 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Nursing is not a particularly lucrative profession when you consider the amount of work and responsibility required of the average nurse, particularly hospital nursing. Often there is little time for lunch or breaks, and you are lucky if you get a chance to use the bathroom. Young nurses are particularly exploited in this way. Many people leave the field.

I will say it again; nursing units are usually terribly understaffed, and the stress is highly significant. Tremendous responsibility and very little control over working conditions. And then there are the injuries they incur from moving immobile patients with insufficient assistance. And patients have gotten so much bigger than they used to be! Hospitals will deny responsibility for injuries incurred, once one ages.

Nurses deserve our support. Hospitals need to staff units adequately.
It has since become VERY Lucrative.

During COVID nurses were making 75$/100$ per hour. And yes They get Breaks, and can use the facility of their unit. Unsure If you are in an area that is less medical oriented.

Our business housed the nurses/doctors that were transported in to attend to the pandemic. NONE of them were singing"poor me". Most jumped at the chance to make big bucks.

AGE is not exploited in hospitals. good gravy. Your skills though maybe....

to the poster: who relies on the pharmacy to get the dosage right, you may want to NOT reknew your license. You are in essence responsible to fact check the medicine PRIOR to distributing. No way in heck would I let you administer a med if you can't know a 25 mg pill from a 10 mg pill. Or that a 5cc morphine dose verses a 25cc. You are sort of affirming what this topic is about elsewise."

Old 09-06-2020, 09:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hospitals are businesses so they are all for maximizing their bottom line, which is why they bring in so many foreigners to work as D.O. (aka O.D.) and nurses with poor communication skills resulting in more "mistakes". There is at least one hospital system in the Bay Area with so few qualified employees that it is dangerous for the average patient.

So, how can some nurses be so stupid, it has to do with the lowering of education standards over the past few decades and lower hiring requirements. Telemed, Dialing for Dollars, will only increase the issues as now we have no idea who is calling and the system is already riddled with fraud.
The same hospital buisiness model exists everywhere.
https://www.richmond-news.com/news/u...ift-1.24146827

When I had a cataract surgery, the nurse's hands reeked of putrid ordors of grease, onion, garlic, spices ... when she put eyedrops into my eye. And she kept hankering all the patients for a thank you.

Quote:
There are fewer and fewer really good medical professionals today so I really cherish them when they can be found. If you want good health care you must insist on it.
Fortunately, good medical professionals are in the majority. They deserve our heart-felt gratitude and respect.

Last edited by orbiter; 09-06-2020 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 10:01 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Let me preface this by saying I work in healthcare and work with A LOT of nurses, most of which are intelligent and capable.

Even still I find myself working with some that are stupid beyond words. I’ve read about nursing programs before and they tend to be rigorous so I’d expect a basic level of competency. Yet, I’ve worked with nurses that don’t know how many ounces are in a cup, get basic first aid procedures wrong, and get clients routinely mixed up. I’ve had to report it to supervisors at my company, but given how short staffed we’ve been at times they have a warm body and a degree policy. As long as you have a warm body and degree you’re in.

Most of the nurses I work with are older so I’m hoping it is just that nursing programs were less strict in the past and some bad ones just slipped through the cracks. I’m really hoping that’s the case as some are unsafe and they last until retirement age.

I’m asking this question sincerely as I’m just genuinely baffled and frustrated.
When there is a huge boom in a field of employment, some people slip through the cracks who shouldn't. This happened with pharmacy techs a while back and I got other people's medications and other flagrant dispensing errors. Unfortunately, nurses who don't know how to nurse are more dangerous than cashiers who don't know how to make change.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

What? D.O. is a totally different degree than M.D. They aren’t bringing in foreigners to do that. They have to have that degree. The O.D. Is also a different degree for optometrists and I’d certainly hope not to be treated for an emergent issue by an optometrist.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It has since become VERY Lucrative.

During COVID nurses were making 75$/100$ per hour. And yes They get Breaks, and can use the facility of their unit. Unsure If you are in an area that is less medical oriented.

Our business housed the nurses/doctors that were transported in to attend to the pandemic. NONE of them were singing"poor me". Most jumped at the chance to make big bucks.

AGE is not exploited in hospitals. good gravy. Your skills though maybe....

to the poster: who relies on the pharmacy to get the dosage right, you may want to NOT reknew your license. You are in essence responsible to fact check the medicine PRIOR to distributing. No way in heck would I let you administer a med if you can't know a 25 mg pill from a 10 mg pill. Or that a 5cc morphine dose verses a 25cc. You are sort of affirming what this topic is about elsewise."
You are talking apples and oranges here. Of course during the pandemic they may be making good money, but basically it is not a lucrative business. Well I guess this depends on what you call lucrative? Yes, it is a good paying job and God knows it should be, but there are still a lot of money for school and a lot of time put into education, not to mention the responsibility they carry on their shoulders everyday. Oh and let me add, I am sure you are talking about how much nurses are making based on those working in hospitals, what abou school nurses, dr office nurses and nurses working outside the hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness