Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 10:33 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

I just took a look at the Tylenol Rapid Release gels ingredients and was very surprised to see Sodium Lauryl Sulfate commonly known foaming agent used in laundry detergents, soaps, shampoos, household cleaning products etc. What's the purpose?
Another (group) of Tylenol ingredients are artificial colors. Some of them like red#40, or blue#1are considered toxic and banned in most other Western countries.

Do we need our pain medications to be in vibrant rainbow colors made of that toxic stuff?
Tylenol gels are red-white-blue.
I understand that color coding is important to differentiate brands and dosage, but why not use natural colors made of carrots, spinach, beet juice, turmeric etc?

How come that so many medications are coated in those unhealthy dyes or aluminum lakes?
Aluminum Lake food coloring, commonly used to heavily coat liquid medicines for children, contains dangerous amounts of aluminum and harmful synthetic petrochemicals. These “petrochemicals” are carcinogens containing petroleum, antifreeze and ammonia, which cause a long list of adverse reactions.

Vitamin gummies, tums, liquid gels... PLUS thousands of others.
It seems to be a counterproductive to make medications containing toxic elements ..., no?

Credit:
https://www.fastcompany.com/3020148/...e-in-your-food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 11:03 AM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Every manufacturer has their own inactive ingredients, All are approved by the FDA

Ask the FDA

Old 07-11-2022, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Due to a kidney condition, I can only take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen for pain or fever, and I use the 8 hour 650 mg that is a plain white caplet. Almost every dye ever used in foods has been harmful in some way or another, so it's best to avoid them if you are taking something often. Someone who takes the Tylenol Rapid Release gels maybe 2 times a year for a day or two is not likely to suffer any harm, however.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:15 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I much prefer using natural remedies rather than modern medicines,
I've had so many friends die under the care of a doctor.
I've out lived many of my friends and am 71 years old.
I have aches and pains from hard work, but not due to horsing around.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:45 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
well, it's not just a foaming agent

Pharma applications[edit]
Sodium lauryl sulfate is a widely used in the pharmaceutical field as an ionic solubilizer and emulsifier that is suitable for applications in liquid dispersions, solutions, emulsions and micro emulsions, tablets, foams and semi-solids such as creams, lotions and gels.[16] Additionally, SLS aids in tablet wettability, as well as lubrication during manufacturing. Brand names of pharma-grade SLS include Kolliphor SLS and Kolliphor SLS Fine.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate

Old 07-12-2022, 06:46 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
If you are eating a diet of any processed foods, fast foods, colored drinks, colored food, junk food, you are getting all kinds of dyes and other preservatives and chemicals.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:42 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
OK, but why is there sodium lauryl sulfate??
That's a cleaning/foaming agent.

BTW: I understand that most of us eat processed food with all those unhealthy ingredients. But we still have choices and can reduce intake of undesirable ingredients.
I do think it's upsetting that we find them in medications which supposed to make us healthy.
It's fine if you are OK with that - I am not.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:27 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Sodium lauryl sulfate is also an emulsifier.

Meanwhile - as long as you don't buy a bottle of blue food dye #1 and start sucking it down by the teaspoon, you should be fine.

The amount of dye in those capsules comes to perhaps one drop every quart. One quart of whatever that drop is mixed in, will produce around 100,000 capsules/tablets. That's because the coloring is in the spray on the surface of the tablet, or the gel capsule that the drug is contained in - and not the contents of the drug itself.

I think people worry way too much about these things, because there's a LOT of profit in selling supplements, alt-meds, and herbal concoctions that do absolutely nothing. Alt-med is insanely profitable. And they'll tell you anything to scare you into buying their products. They'll take a pinky-nail's worth of data, and turn it into an acre of hyperbole, if it costs them only a few hundred bucks to churn out the ad in exchange for millions in profits.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:46 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OK, but why is there sodium lauryl sulfate??
That's a cleaning/foaming agent.

BTW: I understand that most of us eat processed food with all those unhealthy ingredients. But we still have choices and can reduce intake of undesirable ingredients.
I do think it's upsetting that we find them in medications which supposed to make us healthy.
It's fine if you are OK with that - I am not.
when links and excerpts are provided sometimes people read them. and sometimes not I guess

Old 07-13-2022, 07:33 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I recently went to look for ibuprofen at CVS and found a package that said "dye free". It is white, though I think it's still coated. I bought it and we kind of thought "ok, so now they are deciding we don't need the colors for some reason". I should look at ingredients to see if it is coated with something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness