Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 08:28 AM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Surely it's not impossible for someone to die of kidney failure while also being Covid-positive. Doesn't it depend on how close to the end they were, and how severe (or not) the Covid was?

To rephrase your first sentence: Having COVID-19 does not preclude renal failure being the actual cause of death.
"The guy had kidney failure and had for years."

That implies that he was on treatment. He could have lived longer, if not for the virus.

That is the question the certifying doctor has to ask: "if not for the virus, would he still be alive? Certainly the virus could worsen the kidney function, but the initiating event that led to the patient's demise was the viral infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 03:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"The guy had kidney failure and had for years."

That implies that he was on treatment. He could have lived longer, if not for the virus.

That is the question the certifying doctor has to ask: "if not for the virus, would he still be alive? Certainly the virus could worsen the kidney function, but the initiating event that led to the patient's demise was the viral infection.
The post also said he was in hospice which means the likelihood that he would have lived much longer if it wasn’t for covid is non existent.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, we know. And cases can lead to deaths. Not to mention the fact that anyone who gets this virus has no idea how severely it will affect him or her.

From the start, COVID-19 has been portrayed as a disease that mostly causes mild symptoms in people who quickly recover, and occasionally causes severe illness that leads to hospitalization and death. This two-sided caricature—severe or mild, sick or recovered—has erased the thousands of “long-haulers” who have endured months of debilitating symptoms at home with neither recognition nor care.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...winter/616204/
Cases can lead to deaths but they often don’t. There’s been a major rise in cases in my state and both hospitalizations and deaths remain flat.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:55 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
We've been over this before: a death certificate lists ALL active medical problems the pt is suffering from, so any given pt's death can be counted more than once in any studies concerning death rates for various diseases.

In reference to "long haulers"-- 7,000,000+ confirmed CoV cases in US and Instagram has 14,000 members logged on for that problem-- that's 0.2% of cases. ...Even if we say there's 10x more long haulers than are on Instagram, it's still only a 2% rate....I'm sure that's important to the 0.2-2%ers, but statistically, it's little better than a fluke and shouldn't enter into our policy making decisions.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:45 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I haven't been inside a restaurant since early March, and I have no intention of doing so any time soon. This isn't the hill I'm willing to die on, so to speak. I've ordered takeout a few times, but for the most part I've been making meals at home. I'm sorry for restaurant owners and workers, but I'm not willing to risk my health for them.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The post also said he was in hospice which means the likelihood that he would have lived much longer if it wasn’t for covid is non existent.
Read the post again. It did not say the person with renal failure was in hospice.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Being in hospice or having renal failure does not preclude COVID-19 being the actual cause of death.

If the guy with kidney failure was infected with the virus and had the clinical features of COVID-19, he died from COVID-19. The kidney failure was a contributing factor, not the cause of death. If not for the virus he could have lived longer with his kidney failure.

The hospice patients may have had do not resuscitate orders and succumbed to the virus. Again, if not for the virus they may have lived longer, even if not much longer.
ok, then you can turn that around: those who were under hospice and only expected to live a few more weeks and somehow contacted the virus; do you know if the virus was responsible or was it an underlining contributor. Would they have lived if they only had COVUD and not whatever put them under hospice care? This would be the same with the guy from our church who died of renal failure. He was not expected to live more than a few more weeks. Did he die of renal failure and COVUD was a contributor of did he die from COVID and the renal failure speeded up his death? There is no way anyone can be sure in cases like this and there are many of them.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:45 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Ha. I've eaten out plenty of times since they've reopened restaurants and have never gotten sick...neither have any of my friends. The media has really scared people and it's just sad....
If you are in a community where say 1 out of 1000 currently have the virus. Going out to eat now and then the odds are way less than 1% that you will catch the virus just going to lunch.

However if you go to the movies regularly, go to weekend gatherings, the gym, church, like to hang out at the mall etc. Eventually you will hit a point where its likely you will get it. You could also go out once or twice to a restaurant and be extremely unlucky and catch it.

For myself I don't feel deprived not eating in a restaurant or not doing any of the things I mentioned above. But everyone has their own comfort level.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If you are in a community where say 1 out of 1000 currently have the virus. Going out to eat now and then the odds are way less than 1% that you will catch the virus just going to lunch.

However if you go to the movies regularly, go to weekend gatherings, the gym, church, like to hang out at the mall etc. Eventually you will hit a point where its likely you will get it. You could also go out once or twice to a restaurant and be extremely unlucky and catch it.

For myself I don't feel deprived not eating in a restaurant or not doing any of the things I mentioned above. But everyone has their own comfort level.

True. Anything you do where you will be in an indoor space for a prolonged period of time, you are putting yourself at risk. I will not be doing any of the things you've mentioned until I'm at least vaccinated.

Flying now is also a major problem. Apparently airlines have now greatly reduced the number of flights (which makes sense financially), but it has led to super-crowded planes. And not everyone is complying with masks. The fact that you could be in a tiny enclosed space like that for 2+ hours is a huge risk, unless everyone is wearing masks.

A work colleague had to fly to help their child move-in for college, and said that one woman was literally in a space-like suit. I don't blame her, even if it does look silly.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:22 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
True. Anything you do where you will be in an indoor space for a prolonged period of time, you are putting yourself at risk. I will not be doing any of the things you've mentioned until I'm at least vaccinated.

Flying now is also a major problem. Apparently airlines have now greatly reduced the number of flights (which makes sense financially), but it has led to super-crowded planes. And not everyone is complying with masks. The fact that you could be in a tiny enclosed space like that for 2+ hours is a huge risk, unless everyone is wearing masks.

A work colleague had to fly to help their child move-in for college, and said that one woman was literally in a space-like suit. I don't blame her, even if it does look silly.

Flying seems like a really bad idea now. And even with masks. If everyone has N95's ok. But there are lots of masks that are only 11% effective. There are home made ones now and others that are far from medical grade. And if you are on a plane with people who see no issue in flying on a plane. Those folks are probably they are probably doing other activities that put them at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness