Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 06:37 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...sk/ar-BB18Utoe

Quote:

Dining out raises the risk of contracting COVID-19 more than other activities, such as shopping or going to a salon, according to a report published Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Even if I'm sitting at a table and the food hasn't arrived yet, I still wear a mask. I won't sit at a table that's next to somebody else," Rice said, adding that he also asks to be seated outside.

Infectious disease experts maintain that outdoor spaces are safer than indoor areas, which have less ventilation. The CDC's guidelines for dining out indicate that drive-thrus, delivery, take-out and curbside pick-up carry the lowest risk for COVID-19 transmission.

We only pick up from local restaurants that take credit card info over phone and bring order to car

And, yes, we tip because of server's lost income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...sk/ar-BB18Utoe

We only pick up from local restaurants that take credit card info over phone and bring order to car

And, yes, we tip because of server's lost income
Me, too, but I also use drive thru.

Ditto on the tip for restaurants that are normally sit down for us.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:08 AM

882 posts, read 766,600 times
We’ve eaten out twice since March, both times outdoors and more than 6 feet from other tables. When the waitstaff came to our table, they were masked and we pulled ours up. I won’t dine inside right now. We’ve don’t a little takeout, but the food is always cold when we get it home.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:15 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Early in the Pandemic, some studies were done to show how the infection spread easily in restaurants. I have not eaten out since March....and that includes take out. We each have to set our own limits as to risk we are willing to take. I don't miss eating out as it wasn't something I did very often. However, for others, it must be missed.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:37 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
And this man was eating at a patio table outside a restaurant.

"In my social circles, I was considered among the least likely person to contract the disease because, basically, I abandoned the circles. For four months I avoided all crowded driveway happy hours and cul-de-sac cocktail parties. I didn’t set foot inside my church even during the brief time it was open. I didn’t set foot inside a grocery store as my youngest daughter Mary Clare, who was quarantined with me for most of the summer, did all the shopping.

I wore a mask everywhere. I followed all the rules, but a couple of weeks ago I didn’t follow my instincts. I briefly let my guard down. The coronavirus came out swinging.

The weekend before my symptoms appeared, for the first time in four months, I met friends for two dinners at two socially distanced patio tables. Nobody is required to wear masks at the tables, so I removed my mask when I sat, as did my dining partners, and we left them off during the entire time we were at the table.

I didn’t do anything that was prohibited, right? I was just following the rules, right?

My guess is that I caught it there."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...-19-experience

Old 09-12-2020, 08:42 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

"In my social circles, I was considered among the least likely person to contract the disease because, basically, I abandoned the circles. For four months I avoided all crowded driveway happy hours and cul-de-sac cocktail parties. I didn’t set foot inside my church even during the brief time it was open. I didn’t set foot inside a grocery store as my youngest daughter Mary Clare, who was quarantined with me for most of the summer, did all the shopping.

I wore a mask everywhere. I followed all the rules, but a couple of weeks ago I didn’t follow my instincts. I briefly let my guard down. The coronavirus came out swinging.

The weekend before my symptoms appeared, for the first time in four months, I met friends for two dinners at two socially distanced patio tables. Nobody is required to wear masks at the tables, so I removed my mask when I sat, as did my dining partners, and we left them off during the entire time we were at the table.

I didn’t do anything that was prohibited, right? I was just following the rules, right?

Here's an interesting thing to consider. Perhaps being hyper locked away also increases the risk because your body is not getting exposed to anything, so when it does, it has less ability to counteract. Wonder if there's a bathtub-like risk curve where the least risky course is somewhere in the middle -- avoiding extremely exposure likely events, while also avoiding the other extreme of no exposure?

Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here's an interesting thing to consider. Perhaps being hyper locked away also increases the risk because your body is not getting exposed to anything, so when it does, it has less ability to counteract. Wonder if there's a bathtub-like risk curve where the least risky course is somewhere in the middle -- avoiding extremely exposure likely events, while also avoiding the other extreme of no exposure?
That is not the way the immune system works.

You are never "not getting exposed to anything". You are exposed to all sorts of things to stimulate your immune system every day, from pollen to bacteria. Isolating to reduce exposure to viruses will not do anything deleterious to your immune system.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:04 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I see people dining in now in our local restaurants. I see them sitting outside as well. I will do neither. I don't feel comfortable around people any more than I have to be right now. I still do my own grocery shopping and we have to buy supplies for the rental flip. I find both of those scenarios stressful.

Our neighbor across the street is now sick with Covid. She thinks she got it picking up her daughter and nephew from school. Our schools have only been open a couple of weeks with both remote and in class for 2 hour sessions. She told me she never goes anywhere but they did hang out with family.

You can't let your guard down with this bug. You just can't. It's that contagious.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:08 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Guess what, he probably caught it from one of his two dining partners (not necessarily from dining at a restaurant) who had it but didn't know it. If you go out with your significant other I don't think you are in any greater risk than if you go shopping even without masks so long as the restaurant is adhering to staff wearing their masks and wearing them properly and the tables are distanced from others.

I roll my eyes at every pronouncement by the CDC because they so often have been changing their minds about things. It is don't wear a mask it does nothing to everyone wear a mask or it is wash all your groceries to it doesn't spread so easily that way.

I eat out once a week outdoors if I can but indoors if raining or not available. Still Covid free.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:29 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Guess what, he probably caught it from one of his two dining partners (not necessarily from dining at a restaurant) who had it but didn't know it.
Right. His asymptomatic dining partner.

The thing that disappointed me when I read the article last month was that they were outside, which I thought was pretty much safe. I didn't realize that of course your dining partners are not sitting 6 feet from you--although the other diners are--and that you all probably need to wear a mask if you're going to talk for 2 hours, even outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I don't think you are in any greater risk than if you go shopping even without masks
It's must less risky to go shopping. You're in the store for maybe a half hour maximum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness